Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speedplay pedal questions...
Quote | Reply
P2K is finally in,so now the question of pedals came up. I am pedal-knowledge deficient, so any help is greatly appreciated. And PLEASE keep answers understandable to the deficient one! Here is the situation:

- I don't have the $$$ to test and try 4-6 different pedals, so I whichever pedal I decide on is my pedal.

- I THINK I am confident that Speedplay's are my pedal of choice...but which one!!??

- X-2's...Zeros...

- Zero's give you the option of no float. I have no knee problems (yet), so that isn't a concern of mine at this time. X-2's have a wide availability of float (right?), so that is nice?? yes or no?

- If Zeros offer float up to 15 degrees both ways (which equals 30 degrees total, right?) what reason would I buy the X-2's, except for just the savings in cost? Or is this not clear thinking?

- All things I have read have the X-2's and Zeros being great pedals, as long as your foot doesn't experience the hot-spots.

- OR is it 6 in one, 1/2 dozen in the other and I won't tell the difference? (most likely result!)

Again, any help is greatly appreciated!
Last edited by: mjpwooo: Feb 27, 03 12:04
Quote Reply
Re: very basic pedal questions... [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read Tom Demerly's review of the Zeros and you won't buy the X-line.

bikesportmichigan.com
Quote Reply
Re: very basic pedal questions... [BillT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi BillT. Actually, I did read it. That is one of the biggest reasons why I want to purchase the Zeros. The LBS though doesn't share the enthusiasm for the Zeros. Actually the LBS owner said, "I just wasn't sure what the point of the Zero was. Once you are pedaling, you foot isn't sliding around." (abbreviated version)

That is what made me think about the X-2...and the cost savings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike, I've owned and used both X and Zero Speedplays extensively. Either series will do right by you. For my money, I like the Zero cleat mechanism better simply from the standpoint of wear resistance. I used to replace my X series cleats about every 4-5000 miles of riding. I'm going on 8000 on one of my sets of Zeros and am only now hearing the tell-tale signs of serious cleat wear. One small bonus with the Zeros is that you can use the limiting mechanism to prevent you from rubbing heels on your chainstays. And of course the blue-bodied Stainless Zeros will look cool on your P2k :>
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay pedal questions... [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of the Zeros. I'm switching from old school Time Equipe to Speedplay Zero this season.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay pedal questions... [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used zero's last season. They are ok. This year, I put on the new spd sl, Dura Ace pedal. This is the biggest improvement I have made to my bike in the last few years. The new Ultegra version is just as cool at an affordable price. You should really consider these. We have sold 9 pair of the D Ace and 6pair of the Ultegra, with not one complaint. Only raves.

Shawn

"Nothing in life ever just happens. Calculated progression insures your strength."
Shawn Spencer
Bike Cycles
Wilmington, NC
http://www.bikecycleshop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay pedal questions... [Shawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shawn,
you probably have "touched" both the D/A and Ultegra SPD-SL's, so maybe you can tell me what the main difference is between the two models. (I know weight and price)

I'm a Look fan, but I truly hate the sleeve bearing on the outside of my pedals: the poor things wobble (slightly) out of the box. I know D/A only has cartridges (three of them). What about Ultegra?

Dre'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone here rides x-2's and they love them. I experience no undue motion
Quote Reply
Re: very basic pedal questions... [denewone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been riding X-Series (Ti or Cromoly Spindle) for the past 6 years. After your 3rd ride, you won't notice the floating sensation.

I'd just by the X-Series. They are tough enough for any application. I Match Sprint them on the track, road race, and do tris on them. The spring tension is easily tight enough, the pedals are lightweight, and, the float is easier on your knees.

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply