Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speedplay pedal Wear, or worn out?
Quote | Reply
Group,

I have a pair of Speedplay X1 Ti pedals that I have had for many years. They have been rebuilt several times and I grease them regularly. Over the years, the spindle has become scored by the the inside of the cleats. Is this scoring harmful or dangerous; or, I am OK to just keep on with them?
Many thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Apr 13, 04 5:07
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay pedal Wear, or worn out? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't heard anything about scored axles. I think it is just one of the weird idiosyncracies of that particular design.

I have a pair of X2's I have had since '96, and a pair of X3's since 2001. Both are pretty scored on the axle.

I do know that you can buy a total rebuild kit for your pedals, though I hear that it is pretty much close to getting a new pedal. But I think the axle is built to last for a very long time. E mail Speedplay if you're in doubt.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay pedal Wear, or worn out? [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

Long time lurker first time poster. David I have a set of X2's from 95 and I have exactly the same problem as you. The scoring is caused by the retaining spring in the cleat rubbing on the axel. In fact not only do I have that problem but the resin pedal body has also worn away to the point where it can no longer keep the inner o-ring in place, bad news for the exposed bearing. I think some of these flaws have been addressed with the new design (the zero series) but some of these problems (lateral stability) are inherent to the Speedplay design. The new cleat on the zero series does not have an exposed part to rub at the axel so that problem should be eliminated. However Speedplays are still not the most laterally stable pedal out there. The only reason why I'm going to change to Bebops is because I had both of these problems in the first three years of use, I think they should have been problem free longer. But I've never riden the new zeros so that might clear everything up. The Bebops are however, lighter, cheaper, have a lower stack height and are more laterally stable. Worth a try at least.

So my advice is try the new zero series or get a little crazy and go with Bebops.

Take it easy BR
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay pedal Wear, or worn out? [big ring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
or get a little crazy

BR,

That should be "crazier!"

Do you have the bebops yets? BTW, I have have the X1s for about 8-9 years. I have loved them and put a whole lot of miles on them. I also like the X1s b/c of the shorter axel and therefore smaller Q (?) angle. I have X2s on another bike and really do notice a difference.

Thanks,

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay pedal Wear, or worn out? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as bunnyman so said, the spring that acts as the primary locking mechanism is rubbing the axle. Happens on just about everyones speedplays if you ride with the ball of your foot pushing inward.

I would have a good look at the wear on your spring. If it is looking worn, or you have used it for a couple seasons, then replace it. The spring will break when it gets worn enough, i have seen people crash as a result.

It cost about 10 bucks to replace that part, i do it once every season as a preventative measure.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay pedal Wear, or worn out? [Ben in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I would have a good look at the wear on your spring. If it is looking worn, or you have used it for a couple seasons, then replace it. The spring will break when it gets worn enough, i have seen people crash as a result.

It cost about 10 bucks to replace that part, i do it once every season as a preventative measure.
thanks Ben - I do the same.

David
Quote Reply