Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speedplay cleat base plate problems
Quote | Reply
Posting here for advice since I know a lot of people use Speedplay pedals. My right pedal is creaking constantly, and I am pretty sure it is only the right pedal. The shoes in question are Giro's E70 knit shoes. Speedplay's literature recommends the 6F and 6R shims for that shoe.

Try as I might, I can't get the right base plate flat. The left cleat's base plate is flat. No combination of the 5 and 6 shims appears to get the right base plate flat. Below is 6F and 6R. Recall that the #6 shims are more curved than the #5s. The issue is that on the right shoe, the base plate is concave towards the rear of the shoe.

Here's 5F and 6R. This appears to be the flattest available combination. There's still some creaking. The issue I did this thinking that putting a less curved shim at the front would make the cleat straighter at the rear.

I don't have a photo of 6F and 5R, but believe me when I say that this hasn't worked either. The cleat didn't contact the sole under the shim (because the #5s are less curved), and yet the base plate was still not straight enough. I haven't mounted 5F and 5R, but the curvature with those shims looked so obviously mismatched that I didn't bother. I have tried moving the base plate forward, but the curvature issue still remains. And yes, I verified that the base plate was flat before mounting.

Bill at Speedplay did say to me that often, carbon shoes don't have consistent curvature from shoe to shoe, so there may be some issues with fit. And sure enough, that would explain why my right shoe creaks and the left one doesn't. What are my options here? Is there some fix I haven't thought of? If I try to make a warranty claim with Giro, I'm going to get laughed off the phone line, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay cleat base plate problems [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Is there some fix I haven't thought of?

Sandpaper and a curved sanding block. Modify the radius of the cleat (and spacers) to match that of the shoe. I use a belt sander to do this, but honestly it's probably better to do it by hand if you haven't done a lot of this type of stuff before.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay cleat base plate problems [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it can be tricky. I've never had my base plate and spacers as flat and flush as I would have liked. I've found myself "between" different spacer sizes before.

Have you tried putting some grease (thick bike grease) between the different surfaces? So on the bottom of the shoe's outsole, between the spacers and base plate, and between the base plate and cleat. I've found that to help before, in addition to the usual business of putting light chain lube on the cleat springs.

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay cleat base plate problems [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:

Have you tried putting some grease (thick bike grease) between the different surfaces? So on the bottom of the shoe's outsole, between the spacers and base plate, and between the base plate and cleat. I've found that to help before, in addition to the usual business of putting light chain lube on the cleat springs.

I haven't considered that. Grease obviously helps many surfaces that are in contact with each other and where you expect that there may be movement or friction. Here, the base plate is supposed to be in full contact with the cleat, and nothing is supposed to move one bit. The issue is that there's a small gap between my base plate and the cleat surface. I wouldn't actually anticipate that grease would stop the creaking. I would expect I should be looking to either fill that gap with something, or to sand down the plate such that there's no gap.

fredly wrote:

Sandpaper and a curved sanding block...

So yeah, I might consider this. The problem is that I don't have any experience doing this, and it does seem extreme to have to resort to manual sanding of the base plate just to get me quiet pedals when I could simply buy, say, Shimano pedals and have them work out of the box (I assume that they're not so sensitive to the shoe curvature).

That said, I realized that I had not actually tried the pedals with the 5F and 6R shims, which seem to minimize the gap. I've ridden with 6F/R and 6F/5R. I can still see a bit of a gap between the cleat surface and the base plate on my right cleat, but not on my left cleat. I went for a short ride in that configuration today, and the pedals haven't started creaking yet. I'm sure the cleats can work if they're flat enough, even if they're not perfectly flat, so fingers crossed. I still welcome other solutions if anyone has them.
Last edited by: weiwentg: Jun 30, 20 8:59
Quote Reply