Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speedplay and injury?
Quote | Reply
I bought new cycling shoes, Shimano SH-R215 and got speedplay pedals with it. This was back in early december. I've since ridden about 2400km and I feel this pain in my right foot. It's in the achilles tendon region, kind of laterally. Don't know what to do about it. If I take a day off it feels better, even if I go on a 30min run that day.

I took ibuprofen and iced it, kind of decreases the pain but it doesn't solve the problem. So what should I do? Did anybody have same experiences with speedplays? I observed my pedal stroke and came to the conclusion that lateral movement of my foot, due to the float the pedals provide, does not occur. At least there is no observable difference between the right and left foot. I also changed the height of the seat, but that didn't do it either. I used to ride with SPDs before, really liked them but couldn't get them to work with my new shoes.

thanks,

Daniel

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Last edited by: theswiss: Jan 6, 04 0:31
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay pedale and injury? [theswiss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thswiss,

It's funny you mention that. I had a very similar experience with my Speedplays and I have been in a conundrum about what to do about it. Here is my situation: I have had Speedplays all last year. I love 'em. Never had any problems with them in any way. Never had any discomfort or pain after riding 100+ miles on them at a time. However in mid December (and I feel very stupid admitting this) I 'kinda' fell with my left foot still 'clicked in' to my Speedplay and ever since I have a sharp pain in my Achiles Tendon. It wasn't an actual crash...I was getting off my new bike after my second ride with it and was in the process of dismounting very near my parked car and I lost my balance and fell towards my car. I caught myself on the car halfway down and thus saved the bike from being scratched, but I think my clicked in left foot must have been twisted, because since then I feel pain when I stretch my left ankle. After 3 weeks it is 100% fine to walk and bike on, but it prevents me from running. It seems to be getting better so I have been somewhat consoled by the thought that maybe this type of injury just takes a much longer time to heal that a muscle bruise or other similar injury.

Needless to say, it is putting a serious dent in my run base building and that frustrates me to no end, but it does seem to be getting better. I realize that you didn't have any twisting of your foot due to float, but it is interesting to me that the same region of our ankles are effected.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay pedale and injury? [theswiss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Years ago, it took months to fully acclimate to the Speedplays for me. On the days I wanted to ride but the stabilizer muscles were not ready to go again, I went on my mtb. Finally I understood that I needed wedges on both sides and a shim on one side because of an imbalance. I made them myself. Now I am convinced that the imbalance is muscular and I think I have conquered that too, so I will not be needing the shim. However, the wedges stay. For me the fat part needs to be on the outside. For good force transfer to the pedals, it turned out to be the same number of degrees as for my alpine ski boots.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay and injury? [theswiss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I make the following comments with these provisios: I am not a Doc. This only what I have observed. This is not a knock against Speedplay - they make great pedals.

I find it interseting that the Speedplay full float pedals( the orginal ones) had/have very little useage amongst the serious pro- road cycling crowd. Perhaps I am wrong in this regard, but this is what I have seen. I note that the newer limited float Speedplays are being used more now. Contrast this with the triathlon crowd were Speedplay seems to be the default go-to pedal. Just like the various kinds of running shoes, I can't imagine thet full float pedals are for everyone, just as cushioned no support running shoes are not for all runners.

The foot contact/power transfer point be it the ground in running or the pedal in cycling is critical for optimal biomechanical function and power transfer. If things go awry, power transfer will suffer and or injuries can crop up.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay pedale and injury? [danb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do a search over at gordo's site. believe he had achilles issues w/ speedplays.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay and injury? [theswiss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A top AG buddy had Speedplays on his new Ghisallo and ended up with knee problems. Had his PT watch him on the trainer and they determined the float was allowing his knee to track off of the normal line. He swapped out the Speedplays and is doing fine. Everyone is different, and Speedplays work great for some, but I'd put'em on ebay and go back to whatever you were using.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay and injury? [Bill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speedplay usage is probably region specific.

Track racers frown on most clipless pedals EXCEPT Speedplays, because they are one of the only ones you can't pull out of.

They can be considered just another training tool... Ride Speedplays and you MUST stop those energy wasting sidethrusts w/ legs and feet.

OTOH make me a good offer and I'll be glad to take them off your hands. dan@orcasonline.com
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay and injury? [danb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had issues with Speedplays and my knees right when they came out...I went back to Time. As a pull out note...I have never ever pulled out of Time pedals. Never had any knee issues.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply