Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speedmax Saddle Angle Issues
Quote | Reply
Hi all. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but just picked up my first dedicated tri bike (Canyon Speedmax CF), so new to setting it up.

I managed to get a Selle SMP T5 saddle to test, as it is the triathlon equivalent of what's on my road bike. The comfort is definitely there, but due to the nose down angle of the actual seat on the rails, I can't get it level with the fairly limited Speedmax seat clamp adjustment. I've noticed this nose down position on a few saddles I've looked at.

I've given it a couple of goes on the turbo, but still feel like I'm slipping ever so slightly forward. I do have a bike fit booked next week, but slightly concerned it could be a waste of time and money if the saddle and bike just don't mix!!

I won't go into the whole fit thing, I was just wondering really if I should be finding a saddle I can actual level on the bike first, or just carry on with the fit as this issue is normal, and the slipping could be fixed elsewhere?
Quote Reply
Re: Speedmax Saddle Angle Issues [GazCT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GazCT wrote:
Hi all. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but just picked up my first dedicated tri bike (Canyon Speedmax CF), so new to setting it up.

I managed to get a Selle SMP T5 saddle to test, as it is the triathlon equivalent of what's on my road bike. The comfort is definitely there, but due to the nose down angle of the actual seat on the rails, I can't get it level with the fairly limited Speedmax seat clamp adjustment. I've noticed this nose down position on a few saddles I've looked at.

I've given it a couple of goes on the turbo, but still feel like I'm slipping ever so slightly forward. I do have a bike fit booked next week, but slightly concerned it could be a waste of time and money if the saddle and bike just don't mix!!

I won't go into the whole fit thing, I was just wondering really if I should be finding a saddle I can actual level on the bike first, or just carry on with the fit as this issue is normal, and the slipping could be fixed elsewhere?
Can you post some pics of what you've got so far adjustment-wise? That saddle is a very aggressive downward sloping design so I'm not sure you'll be able to get it level even with the canyon adjustment all the way up. Are you dead set on this saddle?

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Speedmax Saddle Angle Issues [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll post a pic up first thing tomorrow (based in the UK).

But I've basically maxed out the adjustment on the Speedmax clamp, and there's still a decent amount of downward slope!! I'm not flying off the front like I was, but it could become an issue on long course.

I had a Fizik Tritone come with the bike, which felt awful straightaway. I'm not necessarily set on the SMP, it just seemed like a good option given how long it took me to settle on my road bike saddle and this T5 is very comfortable (sliding forward aside!!).

Given the harsh angle on the SMP I thought maybe this was a common thing that a bike fit would help. I'm just wondering whether I delay the fit and try to find a saddle first?! Not sure how easy it it to swap out saddles after a fit....
Quote Reply
Re: Speedmax Saddle Angle Issues [GazCT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GazCT wrote:
I'll post a pic up first thing tomorrow (based in the UK).

But I've basically maxed out the adjustment on the Speedmax clamp, and there's still a decent amount of downward slope!! I'm not flying off the front like I was, but it could become an issue on long course.

I had a Fizik Tritone come with the bike, which felt awful straightaway. I'm not necessarily set on the SMP, it just seemed like a good option given how long it took me to settle on my road bike saddle and this T5 is very comfortable (sliding forward aside!!).

Given the harsh angle on the SMP I thought maybe this was a common thing that a bike fit would help. I'm just wondering whether I delay the fit and try to find a saddle first?! Not sure how easy it it to swap out saddles after a fit....
I'm thinking that you're gonna have to find a new saddle. Its just such an aggressive slope for a saddle and you are correct, the Speedmax isn't going to be able to overcome that.

And I agree.....that Fizik saddle is horrible! I have 2 that came on my 2 Canyon TT bikes and I immediately tossed them in my parts box. I went with the JCOB Type 5 and love it.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply