Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speedier Transition Tricks (Up date)
Quote | Reply
Transitions can make the difference between a couple of places in AG races and was wondering what some of you do. I'm practicing the shoes on the bike. Tomorrow's race is an Oly distance and may be wet suit legal. Do I save any time by having my race belt under my wet suit or do I loose those few seconds gained by it flappping in the breeze?

Other hints would be greatly appreciated.

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Last edited by: letter: Jun 18, 05 15:19
Quote Reply
Re: Speedier Transition Tricks [letter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can put your race belt on while running. For me I never wear my race belt unless I have to on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing that I just started doing was not wearing socks. I think this must save some time, but I had a little problem getting my feet into my biking shoes (which are already clipped into the pedals) so I put a tiny bit of vasoline onto the opening of the shoe and my feet have no probs getting in or out.

Chris Hurrell
http://www.thecompletetriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a couple of cyclocross races this winter and learning how to get on on off the bike as quickly as possible in that type of racing has made me noticably faster in transition this triathlon season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cycling shoes already on the bike - I can't imagine running in them. I use Speedplays and the plate is metal. What a horrible fall that'd be, probably land on the bike. I save seconds here by actually moving down the road while putting my feet into the shoes. I also leave the shoes on the bike coming into T2.

Speedlaces on running shoes - don't have to tie them.

Number belt under wetsuit - It's just one less thing to think about in transition - it's already there.

I arrange gear as such: Towel on ground - identifies my space. Backpack at far end of towel, under rack and out of the way. A plastic shopping bag covers my backpack. Running shoes, hat (if needed) at about a foot from close end of towel. This gives me room to stand while removing wetsuit. Removed wetsuit lands on top of plastic shopping bag. Most people place their helmet upside down on aerobars. I like mine right side up with straps hanging. For me, it's easier to grab and not have to flip helmet and have straps flying around. Glasses: Stems are shoved through helmet vents. I put them on before helmet, but I'm going to work on putting them on after mounting bike and getting feet into shoes. I'll store them through the aerobottle strap. Don't know about when I don't use an aerobottle (sprints).

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
learn how to mount your bikewhile running. All the other traicks ar a waste of time if yyou get to the mount line then come to a complete stop to get your leg over. To do this, depending upon your bike grab the seat, run towards the line. Just before the lines grab the bars. At the line jump on throwing your leg over and landing on your shoe which shoud be rubberbanded into a parallel position to the ground.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I went out and practiced both mounting and dismounting with the shoes on the bike. My son went with me to get a laugh - wasn't quite as bad as I thought. That was on the HS parking lot without coming out of the water, too. Keep it in the small ring, middle gears and it shouldn't be too bad. Have the Yanks on and the Vaseline for the shoes. Not an "A" race, so nothing lost even if I screw it up.

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Speedier Transition Tricks Results [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pointers. Had a break through race today; T1 was 1:24 and I was #2 and then T2 was :51 and I was #1. I practiced yesterday in a parking lot and it paid off big time. My son came out to watch the fun, but was disappointed (luckly!) Actually placed 3rd in AG which is the first time I've placed in 6 yrs of racing. Good swim, OK bike (Thanks TitanFlex I avg. 1 mph faster than any other race i've done) and great run, for me. There were only 14 in the AG, but beggars can't be choosy.

Thanks again!

Larry

Quote Reply