Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speed limit only for cyclists
Quote | Reply
Currently in my country some couch potato lawmakers wants to add a speed limit for cyclists in the law. They want to set this speed limit to 30km/h due to many accidents with cyclists involved. However almost all of those accidents fall into below situations:
  • Drivers are not giving priority to cyclists. Basically just breaking the law by not stopping at the stop mark for example.
  • Hobby cyclists with single speed steel bikes (30-40 years old) are using the bike for moving within the village/town without paying too much attention. However with those kind of bikes for them is almost impossible to reach and mantain 30km/h (except descents).

The "concerns" for cyclists safe are so fake that they even added another paragraph where they only recommend for drivers to keep a 1.5m distance when overtaking a cyclist.

Are there any similar laws on your side?
Quote Reply
Re: Speed limit only for cyclists [nav|gator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which country is this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Path speed limits of 15mph(24km) are common in Chicagoland, but that is because it is a multi-use path with walkers, runners, dogs, strollers, children, etc.

It is to discourage road cyclists from using the path. If I fear the nearby road is hostile I will hop on the path for short periods, but otherwise I avoid the paths as recreational cyclists wander randomly across the path. Dog owners have extendable leashes which would surely kill one or both of us in a tangling, etc.

The only on-road restrictions I see are single-file riding signs in certain suburbs that get obnoxious pack riders. Since I ride 99% solo it doesn't bother me in the least. Those same suburbs also station cops on weekends to catch cyclists blowing completely un-trafficked stop signs. It doesn't affect me, not because I don't blow stops, but that I know my surroundings. I know where I have to be more cautious.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the US cities, towns, and neighborhoods are just laid out different. From visiting abroad several times for work, sometimes there is a set of only a few narrow streets through towns abroad. In the US, it is "sprawl".

However, it is VERY common in suburban living in the US to have large areas of neighborhood (tens of thousands of residents) where the streets in that area have vehicular speed limits of 25 or even 20mph. My neighborhood does.

Now, given the sprawl, there is no good place for police to ticket people unless a specific busier street has a problem. So, it is what it is.

But I live in N Hills in Raleigh and most streets here are 25mph limit. I can break that easy down the steeper hills here. But, houses are sprawled out so there never is a person like tighter Euro style towns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha. Wout Van Aert would have to ride around with a fat bike, pulling a parachute with bagging clothing to get a workout in your country!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20km/hr on Calgary pathways. Banff-Canmore legacy trail which is 20km of pristine pavement with no intersections through the mountains has orange 20km/hr signs, not sure if they are enforceable. Very ironic considering that pretty much all of the users who drive to these trails speed, roll stop signs, run red lights in their cars on the way to these trails.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed limit only for cyclists [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Which country is this?
Romania and the rule is not referrign to bike paths.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed limit only for cyclists [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
In the US cities, towns, and neighborhoods are just laid out different. From visiting abroad several times for work, sometimes there is a set of only a few narrow streets through towns abroad. In the US, it is "sprawl".

However, it is VERY common in suburban living in the US to have large areas of neighborhood (tens of thousands of residents) where the streets in that area have vehicular speed limits of 25 or even 20mph. My neighborhood does.

Now, given the sprawl, there is no good place for police to ticket people unless a specific busier street has a problem. So, it is what it is.

But I live in N Hills in Raleigh and most streets here are 25mph limit. I can break that easy down the steeper hills here. But, houses are sprawled out so there never is a person like tighter Euro style towns.

The SoCal suburbs are opposite of that. Many of the arterial streets have speed limits of 55-65 mph. Very common streets for cyclists to ride as well.
In my county the regional parks and trails post a 10mph bike speed limit, which no one follows.

A 30kph total speed limit for cyclists nationwide is just ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nav|gator wrote:
Currently in my country some couch potato lawmakers wants to add a speed limit for cyclists in the law. They want to set this speed limit to 30km/h due to many accidents with cyclists involved. However almost all of those accidents fall into below situations:
  • Drivers are not giving priority to cyclists. Basically just breaking the law by not stopping at the stop mark for example.
  • Hobby cyclists with single speed steel bikes (30-40 years old) are using the bike for moving within the village/town without paying too much attention. However with those kind of bikes for them is almost impossible to reach and mantain 30km/h (except descents).

The "concerns" for cyclists safe are so fake that they even added another paragraph where they only recommend for drivers to keep a 1.5m distance when overtaking a cyclist.

Are there any similar laws on your side?

Hmm, cyclists not given priority? So in Romania cyclists always have the right of way, regardless of signs?.
Interesting. Must be paradise.

And do people not go over the speed limit in Romania?

In other countries the speed limit and traffic signs are just a suggestion (unless the police is around).
I have heard it's the same in Romania.

And Yes, 6ft is close to 1.5m, which is pretty universal in Europe.
Here in the US you are blessed if you are given 3ft (less than 1m).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nav|gator wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Which country is this?

Romania and the rule is not referrign to bike paths.

Wouldn't such a rule be unenforceable anyway? All cars are required to have a functioning speedometer, thus speed limits and enforcement makes sense. With bikes however, most don't have a bike computer with speed (yes this even includes many serious road cyclists). To be honest, there are times when my speed sensor battery dies and I don't feel compelled to replace it. Now if my power meter battery was low, that is a different story. How can you possibly enforce a law that is impossible for the participants to know if they are abiding or breaking the law?
Last edited by: mcmetal: Apr 16, 21 12:33
Quote Reply