Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speed concept BB axle shield
Quote | Reply
Is the axle shield necessary? Im putting together a new bike and i have the bottom bracket bearing but i am missing the axle shield? Thanks

Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, "Would an idiot do that?" And if they would, I do not do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed concept BB axle shield [Shyland83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. I don't even use one on my gravel rigs :)

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Speed concept BB axle shield [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you that's what I wanted to hear. I was having a hard time finding one.

Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, "Would an idiot do that?" And if they would, I do not do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#allgramsmatter :)

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked the same question on a road forum, since it is the same BB as some of their road frames.
Most of the replies pointed out:
1. Protects the di2 wires from crank axle.
2. Helps protect your bearings and axle from dirt.
3. If installed correctly, the axle should add no extra drag to anything.

I was careful installing mine, made sure both sides are all the way in, and my cranks spin very free.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed concept BB axle shield [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am building the bike with mechanical components so I'm not worried about wires. The dirt is definitely a good point. My trek dealer wasn't able to find it so ill put it together without it for now. I'll pull the crank after a season and see how it looks. Thanks for the input.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shyland83 wrote:
I am building the bike with mechanical components so I'm not worried about wires. The dirt is definitely a good point. My trek dealer wasn't able to find it so ill put it together without it for now. I'll pull the crank after a season and see how it looks. Thanks for the input.

FYI, I tried to buy one of the shields on its own, as I had lost one, and my shop said they couldn't get one. I had to order the trek bearing set to get one. Good news is the shield shouldn't wear out, so when I need to replace the bearings, I'll have the new ones and leave the shield in there.
Quote Reply