Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speed concept (2014) vs direct drive trainer.
Quote | Reply
I’ve read the reviews and even used them when I can (but never with my bike). I’m getting either the Tacx Neo or Tacx Flux 2. A Wahoo Core or KickR is not off the table, but they have work to do.

I will almost exclusively be using this with zwift and with my speed concept. The most important question is are there any fit issues with any of these trainers and a speed concept.

Any personal anecdotes relating to any trainer is welcome.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed concept (2014) vs direct drive trainer. [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a tacx neo on my small speed concept. The clearance on the non drive side chain stay (where the cadence sensor is) is really tight. The provided riser they gave me will provide juuuust enough clearance but I am a bit sketched out with how tight it is and i have a different riser I use to get it slightly higher. If your SC is larger than a small i assume all will be fine and dandy. With respect to the flex the neo has I just felt more "peace of mind" with the higher riser. I do not think this is an issue.

One thing you HAVE to be aware though is that the Tacx Neo had 2 cases for it. Pre 2017 (2016 model) and post 2017 model (2017 onward). With the newer neo the only difference is the case, all internals are the same (2018 has a different hub as the old company they used went out of business i believe). However, the updated case was done to accommodate TT bikes better as they had clearance issued with the 2016 model. I bought a 2016 neo this year and found out about the case only after I did a bit of digging. I was able to exchange it for a 2017 neo at the retailer (which is why I went to a brick and mortar over online as online can be a nightmare with returns, etc). The 2016 model case is noticeably clunkier near the LED lights and the clearance was less than the 2017 model (although not be a huge amount).

FYI the only way to tell if you are looking at a 2016 model or a post 2017 model is on the sticker with the SKU (the one put on by TACX, NOT THE RETAILER). The SKU will have a 2017 or a 2018 on the sticker. The 2016 model will have NO YEAR on the sticker. This is the only way to tell what model of neo you are buying. Otherwise you will only find out when you take it out. How I know? DC Rainmaker comments.... I wish Tacx was more clear on this issue.

If you go with the neo and have a cadence sensor you might have to remove it. Make sure you get a post 2017 model and you are golden. I love my neo, it is awesome.

BTW check out the neo site, they have a bike compatibility chart. Speed concept is good with the 2017 onward neos. You might fit in the 2016 with a different frame. No idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed concept (2014) vs direct drive trainer. [Aid.dre.an] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow thanks.

Exactly what I was looking for!

Dan Mayberry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you enjoy the road surface simulation as well as the downhill simulation.

Would you personally miss it?

Dan Mayberry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Um I think its a neat gimmick and makes the ride interesting. I think it was a pretty neat way they implemented it and I sometimes wonder if someone realized they could simulate the road after they developed the trainer or if it was always something they wanted to do.

I do not think either the downhill simulation or the road surface simulation is necessary. Really I got it because I liked the idea of the flex (only direct drive with some flex) and the reviews on it are really high. I also really like the stability of the trainer and it basically ticked off all the boxes for me. It was between the Kickr or the Neo. I found a really good price for the neo and I 100% do not regret the purchase. However, if you cant shell out the cost of the trainer, you could totally go for a different direct drive and I am sure it would be just as good.

IMO the neo was the best purchase I have made. Makes indoor training much more enjoyable and I look forward to seeing how well the indoor season will get me ready for race season. If you have the money for it you will not be disappointed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again. It’s at the top of the list for me, I’m just trying to decide if it’s worth the premium.

I’ll see if I can find a way to get on both of them on a showroom floor and hammer out some sprints or something.

Dan Mayberry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want quiet go Neo, Kickr or Kickr Core. You want road feel go neo. You want potentially upgrade to the climb, go core or kickr. If you want a smart trainer and no real reason otherwise, you can totally get a cheaper trainer. If you want the best trainers on the market though its basically the neo or the kickr. Try both out if you can and see what you think. DCR said he couldn't tell much difference from top of the line trainers to the others.

Keep in mind the neo has no cassette in the box so its an extra cost unless you have one lying around. Theres the Hammer and some trainer by Elite that seem good as well and are cheaper. Theres also the stac zero coming out. 100% quiet but you will need an alu brake track to mount it. Seems like a good option as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a spare cassette on my spare trainer wheel.

Quiet is key. The main reason I’m upgrading my vortex. It’s not bad but it’s loud as all get out. I have to crank the tv just so I can hear and the combo is not something my wife appreciates (although she does tolerate...).

I’m not against the Wahoo but I’ve never used one. The new belt drive is supposed to be good and the core will do everything I need, but I HAVE used the Neo and liked it very much. DC says the Wahoo stuff is built pretty much well but I’d still like to try them.

I’ve used the stac zero. It’s cool, but in sprints, I max er out.

Dan Mayberry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, also have large speed concept on a 2017 neo. It is a little snug, but fits fine even with the duo trap sensor. The tricky bit for me is actually the speed fin, as it catches the front of the trainer. This means you have to put the bike in with the front wheel up high, then drop it down when the axle is in place. Got tired of that and replaced the fin with the normal brake cover. Then swap out the fin for races.

Chose the neo as I wanted something as quiet as possible (live in an apartment). Pretty happy, although the power does seem to measure quite low vs my p2max.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if your not getting a neo i wouldnt bother with the flux and get the kickr core. Quiet, does 90% of the normal kickr and several hundred less. I have a medium SC and use it on a kickr v3, and all is well. I watch tv with it, i think the noise issue is a bit overblown with the high end trainers. But neo aside, the current wahoo models apparently address that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of the ones you list, seems to me the Core is the obvious choice. More reliability than any Tacx product, and even DCRainmaker said the Core is the killer value at that price (899) and will likely hurt sales of the more expensive Kickr.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed concept (2014) vs direct drive trainer. [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to honest, it’s in the lead. Provided there aren’t any clearance issues, the extra 600 is quite a bit for a few things. I’ll have to see if I can maybe test one? I’ll do some googling and see who sells it.

Dan Mayberry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2014 SC & use it regularly on a Kickr with no problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed concept (2014) vs direct drive trainer. [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

I read the DC review, and I’ll be curious to see how the regular KICKR sales go after this.

Dan Mayberry
Quote Reply
Re: Speed concept (2014) vs direct drive trainer. [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2017 58cm Speedconcept and a Kickr v1- zero issues.
Quote Reply