Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speed Dream Wheelsets - opinions please
Quote | Reply
Anybody out there riding these? I'm leaning towards these so I need somebody to talk me out of it. :) Also, anyboy know Dave Thomas and why he doesn't have pics of his wheels on his website?

Speed Dream Road R30 Price: 499.00 PR

Wheel Type: Road

Wheel Specifications:
F/R Rims:

Velocity Deep V / Velocity Deep V F/R Weight: 665 grams / 860 grams F/R Spokes: 16 - Superlight / 16/24 Triplet... F/R Hubs: American Classic / American Classic

~ A penny saved is a government oversight.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Dream Wheelsets - opinions please [TCR2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't speak to this particular wheelset, although I do have a set of wheels that I built using the same rims that are pretty much bomb-proof. Dave Thomas built me a set of training wheels in 1994 that I still use today on one of my bikes (Sun ME14A rims with a 20 spoke Hi-E front and a 28 spoke 600 Ultegra rear). A couple of years later, I broke a front spoke and since the LBS where I was living at the time didn't carry bladed spokes, I called him and he mailed me a couple of more spokes no charge right away. Very knowledgeable guy (asked lots of questions before he recommended the wheels to me) who stands behind his product.

http://www.bytowntriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure why no pictures, but the rims are standard Velocity rims - they come in a ton of colors. http://www.velocityusa.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
excelsports.com builds some damn fine wheelsets and the people there are really informative, congenial and patient.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know my shop reccomends similiar wheels built with Velocity deep rims.. supposidly they are indestructable, I know one of the shop guys races cyclocross on his, and when I was there buying my Ksyriums, another guy (customer) talked about how he hit the side of a car hard, (or went through a car window.. i forget) but the wheels were still perfectly true. Finally, I know one of my ride buddies has the wheels and he loves them. So, i can't speak about the hubs.. but I know you'll probably be happy with the rims.

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have a set of dave's aero lights. excellent wheels. very smooth, light, and fast. haven't had to true them at all. dave is excellent to work with and very friendly. i would absolutely recommend his wheelsets as i don't think you will find a better wheel for the price. for other opinions, you can check at roadbikereview.com. there are several reviews of his wheels over there.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Dream Wheelsets - opinions please [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I once purchased an aero front wheel from him and that thing rode beautifully, super smooth perfectly true and round. I used it for races only and it never gave me any problems, couple years later it was as true as the day I got it. The guy knows how to build wheels.
Quote Reply