Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speed Concept vs Argon 18 E119 Tri
Quote | Reply
Looking into building a new Speed Concept or Argon 18 E119 Tri from the frame up for Tris and TTs.

Has anyone traveled with these? Ive heard the SC can be kind of a pain in the ass for traveling and wrenching on.

Would probably fly a few times with them and want to make sure its not going to be too big of a hassle.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept vs Argon 18 E119 Tri [TNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can’t comment on the Argon, but I have a gen 2 SC.

I haven’t traveled with it, but have wrenched on the front plenty of times. It’s more labor intensive than a traditional bike with a clamped stem. But at the same time it’s not overly hard.

Compared to my last Tri bike I had to break down I would guess this might only add an extra 10-15 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Full disclosure : I have a relationship with Argon, but trust me, I'm critical enough of things that I'm probably harder on them than anyone else :-)

I have a 119 and have travelled all over the world with it. It's quite easy to travel with. A full set of allen keys and you're good. I take it apart in 10min, and it's 100% re-assembled in 20. And I'm slow and not mechanically inclined.
I remove derailleur and seat
I unscrew the aerobar and hang it to the side in my Biknd case.

My BMC TM01 used to take 2x-3x as long
I also have an old P2 and Plasma 3 and the Argon is as simple.

I never touched a SC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Argon e119+ tri and it is super easy to take apart to fly with. First you just remove the plastic shroud over the "stem" where my Di2 junction box is). Once that plastic cover is removed, there are 3 bolts that hold the entire cockpit on. Once these 3 bolts are removed, I disconnect the front brake cable from the wedge in the front brake housing (just so that this doesn't get pulled through...that has happened a few times and it's just easier to disconnect it in the first place). I rotate the cockpit to the side of the front fork and use a large velcro strap to keep it in place. Then I remove the seat post. I use pool noodles that I've put a slit in to slide over the frame to give it a bit more protection. I usually don't even remove my Vector pedals. I've never removed the rear derailleur (yes, I know that is a bit risky, but I make sure to put a skewer in the rear and I put lots of bubble wrap around the RD). I fly with the Thule RoundTrip Transition (hard sided case). I'm not very mechanically inclined, so if I can disassemble and reassemble, you'll be fine.
Last edited by: Rdracer99: Apr 25, 18 9:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TNTRI wrote:
Looking into building a new Speed Concept or Argon 18 E119 Tri from the frame up for Tris and TTs.

Has anyone traveled with these? Ive heard the SC can be kind of a pain in the ass for traveling and wrenching on.

Would probably fly a few times with them and want to make sure its not going to be too big of a hassle.

Traveling with a bike in general is a PITA but all things considered I don't think it is really too difficult to take apart a Speed Concept. Any super bike is going to have a few extra bolts or gotchas but once you get the hang of it doesn't take much more time. The general task might increase by say 5 minutes at most so if it takes you 40 minutes to box a standard bike it will be 5 minutes more to do an SC once proficient. It is a good opportunity to frankly inspect your bike too.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply