Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Speed Concept Aerobar failures [anotherjoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mmmmh...
I'm about to order myself a project one SC this weekend.
Now that I'm reading all this, should I be getting second thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Aerobar failures [Chelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't give it a second thought. There are tons and tons and tons of Speed Concepts out in the wild with the vast majority of them not having this issue. Trek is a pretty stand-up company and I'm sure they've investigated the failures mentioned here and determined it to be user/installer error otherwise they would have issued a recall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I both have the 2nd generation speed concepts and love them! Never had a single issue with the bikes or any related hardware. They are fantastic bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Aerobar failures [sommer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yuppzzz a fantastic bike. Even at a much lower price no but insanely fast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chelle wrote:
Mmmmh...

I had an issue that I wrote about in this thread but as at my last race it worked fine and I think it was an installation error
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chelle wrote:
Mmmmh...
Nope- its fast and solid after two years of racing.

The only second thought is if you need/want disc brakes, as a version with those is likely to be in the works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chelle wrote:
Mmmmh...
Nope. There are a ton of them out there and virtually no problems. Best all around TT/Tri bike. Most likely explanation for this is user error of some kind, though hard to diagnose without actually seeing the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Aerobar failures [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Teddy, Are you still selling these bolts as I would like to purchase some?
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Aerobar failures [atb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somewhere around mile 30 of Ironman Tulsa (last Sunday) on a bumpy downhill I noticed two discerning things: 1) my brand new Trek Speed Concept (Gen 2) mono-aerobar were loose; and 2) my draft box lid had popped open (in spite of electrical tape "securing" lid). By the time I was able to safely stop my multi-tool had jettisoned and was nowhere to be found. I used two zip ties to fasten the mono-aerobar onto the cockpit with marginal play in the steering to finish the bike.

My Trek LBS used Loctite during build. Two days prior, I checked the tension using my Topeak D-Torq Wrench DX during my PCI (Pre-Competition Inspection... yes, I am retired Army so I use acronyms ATFT). Yes, I plan on dummy-cording replacement multitool per my SH 21-76 Ranger Handbook (11-93).

Obviously I have an appointment with my Trek LBS to discuss since I provided them the build manual that I obtained straight from Trek.

All that said, the bolts didn't shear.. but my faith in Trek is in decay by what appears to be an over-engineered cockpit. =/
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Aerobar failures [Djschap7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi djschap7,

Please have you LBS set the grub screw height prior to torquing either cradle bolts.

Once the grub screw is set so the mono bar is at your desired angle have the cradle bolt nearest the grub screw torqued first.

Then have the opposing cradle bolt torqued (be sure it’s loose and has no tension while the first is torqued)

Once both have been fastened double check the torque value.

You will want to have this procedure performed while also using loctite. The purpose behind torquing against the grub screw is to give physical torque value as opposed to virtual when you fasten the bolts first and then set the grub as a support.

I hope that helps and good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Teddy'

Thanks for the reply... I'd really appreciate a conversation on this. Pardon my ignorance but the SC 2014 Service Manual would serve as for a newer year Gen 2?

If yes, then is the "Set Screw" = "Grub Screw" shown on page 14 in Step 4?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJ,

Yes the grub screw is the set screw, sorry for the different nomenclature on the subject.

If you have any further questions please send me a PM.

The Gen 2 has had the same components since conception. However, Trek released revised parts for the mono/cradle I believe 2 years ago.
Last edited by: teddygram: May 26, 21 13:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Teddy',
For this public forum I humbly admit to absolute dumb@ssedness.

I appreciate your guidance; will contact Trek (too bad I can't find their chat link) for updated parts and "check myself before I wreck myself" by looking into that grub screw. So the set/grub screw bottom sets directly on the mono-spacer (see attached image Fig 8.3)?

If I ever forgot Occam's razor at the worst possible time... it was when I looked down upon that monobar, seeing that grub screw, and said "Little part of which I cannot fathom, are you, ARE YOU the culprit for this folly? No, it must be more complicated and I am totally forked by having to resort to zip ties to not DNF this race."

Thanks again, Teddygram... I'll post later after I have a new conversation with my SC. Have a great afternoon!

DJ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Djschap7 wrote:
Teddy',
For this public forum I humbly admit to absolute dumb@ssedness.

I appreciate your guidance; will contact Trek (too bad I can't find their chat link) for updated parts and "check myself before I wreck myself" by looking into that grub screw. So the set/grub screw bottom sets directly on the mono-spacer (see attached image Fig 8.3)?

If I ever forgot Occam's razor at the worst possible time... it was when I looked down upon that monobar, seeing that grub screw, and said "Little part of which I cannot fathom, are you, ARE YOU the culprit for this folly? No, it must be more complicated and I am totally forked by having to resort to zip ties to not DNF this race."

Thanks again, Teddygram... I'll post later after I have a new conversation with my SC. Have a great afternoon!

DJ

You are very welcome, with the new bolts and top cap I would still recommend installation how I mentioned above. The parts that you would want to look at ordering are Trek part numbers;

6mm bolts and T-nuts – 596164
Mono Slider – W582447
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you should about a month or so.......

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chelle wrote:
Mmmmh...

New bikes in works (but been hearing that for years)

I am on my 5th speed concept now... fantastic bike, people that have issues I find its typically not the bike but how the bike was worked on.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Aerobar failures [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
Maybe you should about a month or so.......

Jeroen

His post was from 2+ years ago. He probably already bought a bike.

But yes, I agree with you.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Aerobar failures [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh shit LOL, my mistake :-)

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Teddy,

Do you still offer any of these bolts for sale?

Thanks,

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Aerobar failures [kbutterfield] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin,

I "may" have a set remaining in my garage. I will need to investigate for you.

I will send you a PM either way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok thank you very much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

I want to update this thread, I no longer have any bolts left for sale.

I apologize to any in the future looking for these items but as of 4/25/23 the inventory is depleted.

Safe riding to all!
Quote Reply

Prev Next