Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Specialized Transition mafia [lvnvcdn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick question. This seemed like an appropriate place for it. I check craigslist every so often in case someone actually has a decent tri bike on there. There's a guy with an '09 Transition Comp for $900 which he says he's only ridden twice. Thoughts? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition mafia [mshawgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally joining a Mafia. Here is my w/ and w/o hydration system.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition mafia [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WOW! ultra cool with Quarq powermeter and DI2! How do you like that bottle with the "aero" straw? I see you got an aftermarket straight seatpost too. I just got one in the same paint - did you cut yours? Is it difficult? And whats up with the "minimum seatpost insertsion"? How does that work?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition mafia [eigner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eigner wrote:
WOW! ultra cool with Quarq powermeter and DI2! How do you like that bottle with the "aero" straw? I see you got an aftermarket straight seatpost too. I just got one in the same paint - did you cut yours? Is it difficult? And whats up with the "minimum seatpost insertsion"? How does that work?

Love the Di2. Big shout-out to Emery's (see signature line) for the wiring. Cannot use the internal wiring kit for the Transition. So, Emery's had to improvise. They made a custom mounting bracket under the bottom bracket to hold the connections. They actually routed the wire under and attached it to the rear brake arm to keep it hidden. It really is an amazing job.

I am mixed on the bottle. I love the shape, love the bracket, love the "tray" for the Garmin, and love the ease of use. However ... if filled too full, it splashes everywhere on even the smallest of bumps. Splashes very badly.

Yes, I had to cut the seatpost. It is quite long. Not hard. Measured multiple times, then used a band saw with a carbon cutting blade. Are you talking about the "minimum seatpost insertion" marking on the back of the seat tube near the little hole? I believe the seat post has to be at least long enough to go past that hole. I cut it w/ some wiggle room and had no issues.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition mafia [helios] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joining the Mafia! I've had the bike a little less than a year, and it got me through training for and racing Ironman South Africa without any significant trouble. I originally bought the black and yellow Transition Comp, but after a month the front derailleur cable jammed inside the frame, and Specialized replaced it with a 2010 Pro frame. Can't complain about that kind of customer service.

I was extremely fortunate to get a Kona 2011 lottery slot, so my next major race on this bike will be in Hawaii. I'm looking at upgrading my wheels next - really like what I see about the Flo 60/90 combo (if they're ready in time) and have a Zipp FC 404/808 set on reserve to rent if that does not pan out.

Besides wheels, any recommendations on upgrades/improvements? As you can see, I've been reading the forums here, and dumped the double-bottle rear hydration carrier I used to have and now have a single tie-wrapped under the seat, a torpedo-style cage up front, and the Virtue aero bottle on the frame. The rear under-seat cage can hold either a toolkit (as seen in the picture) or extra water.

-David.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA, what size is that frame? Sweet set-up
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition mafia [yatyas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Size is Large.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your inseam?(mine is 37" @ 6'4")

Glad to see i'm not the only one with alot of seatpost.
Last edited by: yatyas: Jun 26, 11 17:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 6' 2" w/ a 34" inseam.

Yeah, seat post looks long, but, I still had to cut it. Love the bike. My position is quite a bit better than on my prior bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There sure are a lot of "slow" bikes in this thread. They look nice though. lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The point of the transition frame is indeed to have a lot of seatpost showing. Thats why the frame slopes down so heavily. The seatpost is extremely aerodynamic with its narrow foil shape, whereas it is not possible to make the frame that narrow and foil shaped - thus the more seatpost the better :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well then I am taking full advantage of it then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all. Im on the verge of joining the mafia. Some advice on which frame is needed though. Is there a huge amount of difference between the sworks and the pro? At the moment Ive got the choice of a brand new 2010 pro frame or a year old sworks with the s-works being marginally more expensive than the new pro frame.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ta in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition mafia [rizey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. The Sworks is 9r, the rest are 7r, except the Shiv which is 10r.

Basically, different layups, altering weight and stiffness a tiny bit. High odds you'd never notice the difference between the three, as the Transition is a monster stiff bike in any layup or configuration. I've had Sworks, Comp, and Pro. I can't notice a difference, but I can tell you that they are all incredibly stiff.

If it was my money, I'd buy the new bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey JSA great ride! two questions. What aero bottle is that and what kind of arm rest adapters are you using? I find my zipp vuka's a bit too narrow!
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition mafia [dali341] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dali341 wrote:
Hey JSA great ride! two questions. What aero bottle is that and what kind of arm rest adapters are you using? I find my zipp vuka's a bit too narrow!

Thanks.

Torhans Aero 30 water bottle with Torhans mounting bracket.

Those are stock Zipp Vuka clip on a Zipp Vuka Bull base bar.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick reply. i am going to look at switching out my vuka aero as there is no adjustments.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition mafia [prosper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any chance you could send me some more pictures of that beauty?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Virtue Aero Bottle is a Poor Design. Racing last week and bottle popped out. Lost bottle. $50 bucks down the drain.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition mafia [jkhussey41] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it is a poor design. even if you blow up the bottle & don't squeeze it before you put it in the cage, it's still prone to popping out.

that's why most of us use velcro, because the bottle fits better in the frame than any other.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition mafia [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you use velcro. please explain
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just slap some sticky industrial strength velcro on the cage:bottle interface.

bottom of bottle, top of cage. at this point I only have some at the bottom of the bottle where it curves & in the curvy part of the cage by the seattube.

no popping out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhussey41 wrote:
Virtue Aero Bottle is a Poor Design. Racing last week and bottle popped out. Lost bottle. $50 bucks down the drain.

No need to bother with velcro. Just roughing up the sides of the bottle with a little sandpaper will do the trick.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition mafia [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what disc are you using?

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition mafia [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sub9 w/ Powertap
Quote Reply

Prev Next