Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specialized Sitero 2 Reserve rack issue
Quote | Reply
I just purchased a Sitero 2 and the Reserve Rack doesn’t appear to be a great design, unless I’m missing something. The rack hangs so low that it contacts the seat post, and doesn’t allow me to push the seat forward into the necessary place for my fit. I did not have this issue with the original Sitero.

Anyone run into this issue and find a solution? Or do I need to go to an aftermarket rear mount like XLab? Thanks.

Edit - can’t seem to upload an image so here is a link to the photo - https://photos.app.goo.gl/a72VMpc6BU4ExkYh7
Last edited by: ewc: Feb 18, 19 15:18
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Sitero 2 Reserve rack issue [ewc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you Turn it upside down?
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Feb 18, 19 18:12
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Sitero 2 Reserve rack issue [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m pretty sure it goes the other way. Behind your butt. Behind seat post seems like would be cleaner air (don’t disturb it?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately it doesn’t flip around. It’s molded to fit into the saddle in this direction.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Sitero 2 Reserve rack issue [Emma'sDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This stock photo shows it pointing down like how I have it. It doesn’t flip to go pointing upwards — https://www.amaincycling.com/...5EAQYASABEgJaRfD_BwE

This photo shows the difference in clearance between the old and new Sitero - https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZV3qSEQ6Tf8DHSZy7

This photo shows the S logo facing correctly, which indicates to me that I have it installed correctly — https://photos.app.goo.gl/8kNczMgj6kUoGSpi7

Seems like a poor design choice.

Emma'sDad wrote:
I’m pretty sure it goes the other way. Behind your butt. Behind seat post seems like would be cleaner air (don’t disturb it?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should know; I have it!! I have turned upside down the reserve rack that doesn’t attach directly like this one though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I should know; I have it!! I have turned upside down the reserve rack that doesn’t attach directly like this one though.

I have a reserve rack bought this year and his certainly looks upside down. I’m looking at mine now. It just might be incompatible with that saddle.

The metal clamp to the saddle rails. Flip it, slide it down a touch, and try again. In my photo, old junk saddle but you get the idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like you have it right and it is a nice, clean mount in the right place. I just don't think they counted on you needing to run the post in the reverse/forward direction and then having the seat slammed forward from there. I would be fine on my fit and even 4-5cm forward even further.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Sitero 2 Reserve rack issue [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Sitero 2 has two holes that bolt directly to the reserve rack. It does not clamp to the rails like the after market version. This rack came with the Sitero 2 packaging.

DFW_Tri, do you have a photo of how your reserve rack is mounted to your saddle?

burnthesheep wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

I have a reserve rack bought this year and his certainly looks upside down. I’m looking at mine now. It just might be incompatible with that saddle.

The metal clamp to the saddle rails. Flip it, slide it down a touch, and try again. In my photo, old junk saddle but you get the idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t sorry; my bike isn’t set up right now but it would look like yours but no clearance issues...before I had the Sitero, I also owned a reserve rack and was able to mount upside down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although I don't have the same clearance issues as you, I really don't like my reserve rack - I find it extremely hard to reach and replace the bottles on the fly....They are just too low for me. It's a shame because apart from that it's great. I just wish you could reverse it.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Sitero 2 Reserve rack issue [Hiphophopper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Yes it does seem this new rack mounts much lower. Never had a clearance issues or problems grabbing bottles with the original Sitero. If this new saddle is an improvement comfort wise, I will try an xlab Delta bottle rack. Thanks everyone.

Hiphophopper wrote:
Although I don't have the same clearance issues as you, I really don't like my reserve rack - I find it extremely hard to reach and replace the bottles on the fly....They are just too low for me. It's a shame because apart from that it's great. I just wish you could reverse it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to see a video of you riding your bike.

You're on a saddle that is designed to be sat off the front of, meaning it's designed to be pushed back further than a longer saddle, yet you have yours pushed pretty far forward on a forward offset seatpost. I'm guessing your pelvis is not rotated, meaning your hips are vertical and your pelvis is arched shortening your reach which needs a saddle that's further forward.

Can you post?

Eric

ewc wrote:
I just purchased a Sitero 2 and the Reserve Rack doesn’t appear to be a great design, unless I’m missing something. The rack hangs so low that it contacts the seat post, and doesn’t allow me to push the seat forward into the necessary place for my fit. I did not have this issue with the original Sitero.

Anyone run into this issue and find a solution? Or do I need to go to an aftermarket rear mount like XLab? Thanks.

Edit - can’t seem to upload an image so here is a link to the photo - https://photos.app.goo.gl/a72VMpc6BU4ExkYh7

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Sitero 2 Reserve rack issue [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

You're on a saddle that is designed to be sat off the front of, meaning it's designed to be pushed back further than a longer saddle, yet you have yours pushed pretty far forward on a forward offset seatpost. I'm guessing your pelvis is not rotated, meaning your hips are vertical and your pelvis is arched shortening your reach which needs a saddle that's further forward.

Can you post?

Eric

ewc wrote:

Eric, in fairness to the OP but not knowing his position, I had a very similar issue on my old Dimond Brilliant and my position was in line with your methodology. The reserve rack on the Sitero did not play well with the Dimond Brilliant's seat post. I had to slide the saddle so far back to make the reserve rack not hit the odd shape of the seat post that I could barely sit on the saddle. So I had to ditch the reserve rack. That was rectified with the Dimond Marquise's new seat post that allows for way more adjustability and range.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Feb 19, 19 7:03
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Sitero 2 Reserve rack issue [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

Can you post?

Eric

The google photos are blocked here, but I was about ask the same question. I have the original Sitero and reserve pack on a Transition and it looks just like the first picture posted of the example. It comes close to hitting my seat post but still clears, and I have the back facing post with the saddle in the 3/4 forward position, so the back of the rails are close to the post clamp. If the OP is hitting his stem he must have the saddle slammed way forward.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Sitero 2 Reserve rack issue [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sent Eric an email with my fitmap. I have no issues with the original Sitero -- with the reserve rack on the original, you have full use of the entire seat rail.

The Sitero 2 reserve rack bumps into my forward seat post halfway into the rail. So you basically lose the ability to move the seat forward past the halfway point of the rail. I don't think that qualifies as slamming the seat forward. Thanks all!

AutomaticJack wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Can you post?

Eric

The google photos are blocked here, but I was about ask the same question. I have the original Sitero and reserve pack on a Transition and it looks just like the first picture posted of the example. It comes close to hitting my seat post but still clears, and I have the back facing post with the saddle in the 3/4 forward position, so the back of the rails are close to the post clamp. If the OP is hitting his stem he must have the saddle slammed way forward.
Last edited by: ewc: Feb 19, 19 8:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a similar issue.

Have a Sitero with alloy rails (comp?) On a shiv with 12.5 seat post (reversed) and was having no issues aside from a little rub on the post which I solved with some black electrical tape.

Here is where everything changed. Bought a new sitero carbon (great deal on it) because I wanted to put a sitero on my other bike. Got to thinking I would put the carbon on the shiv since its my event bike and I actually use it the most and put the allow on the other bike. I got the new sitero in my hand only to find out that this carbon model (there are 2) is not compatible with the reserve rack that holds 2 bottle cages. I spend 2 hours on the phone with rider care, who basically thought I was smoking crack when I told them it doesnt fit. Thats how we discovered there are 2 sitero pro models, one works with the reserve rack and one works with direct mount reserve rack (holds 2 bottle cages).

So I was like whatever, ill put the carbon on my other bike and the allow back on the shiv. Ok fine, but now I swapped out my seat post to the 37.5 just as the OP has and there is no way it will fit just because the seat is so forward. What I decided I need to do it just get some metal and make some extensions/wings so the direct mount reserve rack will be extended slightly back and I should be back in business.

Some of you may be wondering why go through the hassle. Well, I have a really good fit with the 37.5 forward and sitero and just need 2 bottles on the bike (and fuelselage) to carry as much hydration/nutrition as possible.

So back to the OP, Im in the same exact situation as you and just plan to get some strong metal strips and build like a 2 to 3 inch extension off the saddle and hopefully with the right length screws and loctite it will hold. I actually got longer screws and mounted the direct mount reserve rack to the carbon sitero and it worked so I think with these adhoc extenders it will work with the 37.5 seat post.
Last edited by: rg1454: Apr 11, 20 13:12
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Sitero 2 Reserve rack issue [rg1454] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same issue.. I just switched to the new Sitero Pro (from the older Sitero Pro). I am using the "normal" setback post but flipped so it is in the more forward position. In my case I think I can cut away a bit of material on the bottom of the mount and it might work but haven't gotten around to trying it out yet. I was really disappointed to discover the change on the new model :-// clearly a bad design but the same setup they use on the Power saddle. The old Sitero Alloy had the same issue (it used the same reserve rack).. I think it was only the old carbon Sitero that used the much better three point design.

Quote | Reply
The older carbon sitero with the 3 point design is not compatible with the direct mount reserve rack (which can hold 2 bottle cages), it is compatible with the reserve rack which can fit one bottle cage and the wing for air tools, but it also has its own rack so you dont even need the reserve rack...I can post pictures, but this is what I was saying, specialized ride care thought I was on crack when I told them the mount reserve doesnt fit on the sitero pro, not realizing there was 2 different pro siteros. I made it fit with longer screws and spacers...and it was fine, but not with the 37.5 forward seat post.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Sitero 2 Reserve rack issue [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:
Same issue.. I just switched to the new Sitero Pro (from the older Sitero Pro). I am using the "normal" setback post but flipped so it is in the more forward position. In my case I think I can cut away a bit of material on the bottom of the mount and it might work but haven't gotten around to trying it out yet. I was really disappointed to discover the change on the new model :-// clearly a bad design but the same setup they use on the Power saddle. The old Sitero Alloy had the same issue (it used the same reserve rack).. I think it was only the old carbon Sitero that used the much better three point design.

Not a great photo.. but here are the two side by side.

Quote | Reply
rg1454 wrote:
The older carbon sitero with the 3 point design is not compatible with the direct mount reserve rack (which can hold 2 bottle cages), it is compatible with the reserve rack which can fit one bottle cage and the wing for air tools, but it also has its own rack so you dont even need the reserve rack...I can post pictures, but this is what I was saying, specialized ride care thought I was on crack when I told them the mount reserve doesnt fit on the sitero pro, not realizing there was 2 different pro siteros. I made it fit with longer screws and spacers...and it was fine, but not with the 37.5 forward seat post.

I think you just mean the new vs old sitero... so yes, two versions.

Quote | Reply
yup same thing here. had the old one on my SC and loved it. wore it out so I bought the new one. had to take the dremel and shave off as much as I could of the bottom of the rack. kinda annoying but whatever made it work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi EWC,

I found your post as I was in exactly the same situation. I notice many of the replies are not a solution to the issue, but suggesting moving your saddle/different set up etc etc. Hopefully the below is a solution....

I have the same issue- want my saddle as far forward as possible with 2 bottles behind me but not touching the seatpost.

I have ordered 3 aluminium connector pieces off ebay and I believe one of them should do the trick. The first arrived today and I will need to take an angle grinder / file to one corner of it, but I think it's a good starting point. Will update you when I've received the others and tried them all out.

1. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124121644122

2 and 3. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203151254172

Best wishes.
Last edited by: Litespeedtim: Jan 27, 21 4:11
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Sitero 2 Reserve rack issue [Litespeedtim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey All, it’s been a while since I logged in here but I “solved” my problem be getting an xLab Delta mount, which works well. I don’t love the additional weight, and would’ve preferred a direct mount using the Reserve Rack, but it just didn’t work for me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yFkeQMrd43wSbTu57

Quote Reply