Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specialized Shiv Comp Headset Play
Quote | Reply
Hello, I recently did spring maintenance on my Felt Z5 road and Specialized Shiv Comp tri bike. Got out for a ride and noticed the Shiv has about 1mm of "slop" or "play" in the upper bearing. I took the handlebars off and upper spacers and think I need to press the upper bearing compression ring down a bit more to seat the ring and bearing into the cup, then reassemble and torque things down. I did preload the bearings by tightening the top Allen bolt over the cap. Looking at the pic you can see the compression ring is sticking up a bit. This was my 1st time working on the Shiv and didn't want to tap on it or force it (the bearing compression ring) until I had some feedback. When I hit an expansion crack riding on the trail the headset "clunked" a bit. ANY advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Tom
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Comp Headset Play [CDA70.32020] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks properly seated.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Comp Headset Play [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
That looks properly seated.

Thank you, there is about 1 mm play between the bearing and cup. Ill re-assemble, pre-load then torque everything, see what that gets me. I appreciate the reply!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have the correct size upper and lower bearings?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Comp Headset Play [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Do you have the correct size upper and lower bearings?

My thoughts as well, op there are basically a million different headset bearings. I would double check size.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar problem with my Shiv. I had all the correct bearings, but even when I tightened the stem and top cap, I had some play in the headset. The mechanic at my LBS added a 1mm spacer to fix the issue. The headset has worked perfectly for over a year since then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long was your last bearing in there? How did it look when you removed it? What does the steer tube look like? I ask because it is possible that your old bearing seized and wore a groove on your steer tube. Good luck.

56-11...the only way to fly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for all the replies! I bought the bike back in Oct. but just got the chance to ride it due to winter. I'm thinking now I either didn't preload correctly or may need a small spacer. The bike is in mint condition. Ill get back into it and provide an update. So glad I joined this forum.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Comp Headset Play [runboorun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runboorun wrote:
How long was your last bearing in there? How did it look when you removed it? What does the steer tube look like? I ask because it is possible that your old bearing seized and wore a groove on your steer tube. Good luck.

What I was thinking too. Check the steerer for any wear or notch that's stopping the split ring sliding down the steerer fully.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Thank you all for the feedback....simple fix I didn't preload the top cap enough before tightening the pinch bolts (if that's what they are called) on the stem to the steerer tube. Or I may have did the top cap last previously which is a mute point I suppose. All parts are like new, I bought this bike in the fall of 2019 from the original owner with less that 1k miles (he did 1 IM with it and trained very little on it) for 1800 bucks plus he threw in a Rudy Project helmet so not a bad deal. Dropped in a pic of the bike, my training room is my daughters old nursery hence the pink :-)

I appreciate everyone who weighed in and am excited to be a part of this community !

Tom
Last edited by: CDA70.32020: Apr 8, 20 19:54
Quote Reply