Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specialized S-Works EXOS Road as a tri shoe?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have experience wearing the Specialized S-Works EXOS Road shoe as a tri shoe? There have been occasional mentions of the shoe in the forums (here and here), and it looks like this model hasn't really crossed over to triathlons in any big way. An LBS had the shoe on display, and just from a very cursory "first impressions" look at the shoe, it appeared to have some characteristics that could make it tri-appropriate footwear. When the Boa laces are fully uncoiled, the tongue creates almost a cavernous foot entry, which I would imagine is almost on par with tri-specific shoes (open heel entry / velcro straps / …) The regular Specialized S-Works road shoes have been some of the best shoes around, and if the EXOS carries most of those characteristics forward, then these could be some killer kicks.

Or maybe the ridiculous price keeps the shoe applicable only to sponsored athletes? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized S-Works EXOS Road as a tri shoe? [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Exos and love it, however I'm not so sure it would make for a good tri shoe. It doesn't breathe or drain well as I've noticed when getting caught in the rain. Also, I'm not sure how well it would wear without socks. On the inside, the dyneema part is a bit rough and I could see that become a chafing problem. You're right about the shoe being very open for entry but if you were to jump on your bike with the shoes clipped in while trying to pedal on top of the shoe, that boa dial is right there on the middle of your foot which makes it pretty bad to pedal on. I could see them making an Exos tri version though. That would be awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized S-Works EXOS Road as a tri shoe? [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lucy Charles thinks it's a pretty good option:

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized S-Works EXOS Road as a tri shoe? [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've noticed she hasn't been wearing the Exos recently. It looks like she's been wearing a different Specialized shoe. I'm wondering if it's just not a great tri shoe? For the money that shoe should check all the boxes.

I got a pair of Giro Imperials for road riding. I'm not sure I'll wear these new shoes in a race as I don't want to pee in them. They're pretty awesome shoes and light at 218g.

tessar wrote:
Lucy Charles thinks it's a pretty good option:

Quote Reply
Re: Specialized S-Works EXOS Road as a tri shoe? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roth was only a month ago, to the best of my knowledge she hasn't raced since...

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply