Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specialized Prevail II MIPS Helmet
Quote | Reply
I had to buy a new helmet after an unfortunate event last weekend that shattered by Specialized Prevail. The old helmet had MIPS but not ANGi. The new helmet has ANGi so I decided to give it a try. App downloaded, registered, etc. It saw the helmet and everything is fine. I set up the emergency contact and how long to wait before it called for help, and went for a ride.

Silly question. Does the app have to be started for it to work if I fall? I started a ride and that worked but it isn't really useful if you have a bike computer of any quality. Does the app have to be recording a ride to send an alert, or can I just put my phone in my pocket and ride.

TIA

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Prevail II MIPS Helmet [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, the app has to be recording which is what kills the ANGI concept. most of us use garmins to record our rides and don't want to be faffing around with our phones all the time. wahoo apparently have some sort of integration with ANGI now so their head units can handle this, garmin need to get on board for this to be a winner for specialized
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Prevail II MIPS Helmet [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the prevail 2 a couple of months back.

Yes you need your phone and the app.
You have to start the app, give the helmet a shake to 'wake' the Angi pod, and once that's done click on the 'record' on the app.

You need to remember to have data 'on' (if like me you turn data off when on wifi, and location 'on', if you ever turn that off).
As it's all really using the gps and data etc on your phone to do 90% of the work (Angi just tells your phone you've stacked it, your phone tells the rest of the world you have and where it thinks you are, via the data connection).

The one other set up trick to make sure is that the app is not dormant / 'off' when in the background at 1st install, and after any operating system update. Otherwise it doesnt work properly. Sometimes updates on mobiles (defo on Android) sometimes can auto reset settings on lots of apps to do with battery life saving and put the app into a dormant state when not in immediate use. I had that problem about 6 weeks ago when I got an Android auto update - and the tracking / location was total BS until I realised what was wrong. Once I'd realised it I changed some settings and it's been fine since.

BUT... I'd say don't let the above put you off.
Just a couple of setting to sort at installation really.

I do the phone 'faff' of getting the app to start recording whilst I'm saddling up and waiting for my Garmin to wake up and smell the coffee- my Edge 800 takes waaaaay longer to sort itself out than starting the Ride app.

My wife gets some comfort from me using tue Angi and Ride it at present as I'm of course riding alone here (UK) and on quiet roads - that are even quieter now so I'm unlikely to be discovered for a long time if I do end up in a ditch unconcious.
You can choose to out the emergency contact person's onto an email alert too for whrn you start amd end the ride - this allows the recipient to use it as a live tracker so they know where you are (when you've stopped at a pub on ehyt way home đŸ™„) etc. And that seems a lot better to me than Connect.
Quote Reply