Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specialized Evade 2 vs Giro Aerohead?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any idea on the aero difference between a Specialized Evade 2 and a Giro Aerohead?

I know it's impossible to say for sure without testing in the wind tunnel, but is it possible to say anything at all? I've heard estimates of only 2-3 watts, but that sounds low to me.

The reason I'm asking is I'm about ot do my first Ironman in a few days time, and can't decide on wich helmet to use. I expect the Areohead to be faster but the Evade has better ventilation. I usually sweat a lot, so using the Evade is tempting.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Evade 2 vs Giro Aerohead? [Borg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The difference between the Aerohead and the Vanquish is about 60 seconds so I would assume something similar. I made the mistake of wearing a visored aero helmet in my first IM and f@ck I couldn't wait to get it off the last 1/4 of the race. If it is a hot race and you are going to sweat use the Evade. If you cook your head you may have saved 60 seconds on the bike but your run and overall IM experience could not be so pleasant.

Actually just did search and according to the chart 86 seconds to the Evade.

http://aerogeeks.com/...ish-mips-first-look/
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Evade 2 vs Giro Aerohead? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
If you cook your head you may have saved 60 seconds on the bike but your run and overall IM experience could not be so pleasant.

Actually just did search and according to the chart 86 seconds to the Evade.

http://aerogeeks.com/...ish-mips-first-look/

That's what I was thinking. 86 sec might be a lot if you're chasing a Kona spot but for me it seems lika a small price to pay if it saves me from over heating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you would think the aerohead would save u a bit more than the evade 2? In any event, the former is one heavy helmet on the noggin for an IM. And hot. I like mine for a half or less. Wouldnt wear it for a full.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me at zero yaw, 7.1 watts or .0054 CdA at 48kph. This was also in a flat armed hands on "hoods" position for mass start track racing. Sticking your hands in front of your face will change the airflow quite a bit. But this is at least a data point.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Evade 2 vs Giro Aerohead? [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
you would think the aerohead would save u a bit more than the evade 2? In any event, the former is one heavy helmet on the noggin for an IM. And hot. I like mine for a half or less. Wouldnt wear it for a full.

I've used the Aerohead for three 70.3's, and it's been the same neck pain after 2 hours each time. I'm switching to an LG P-09, which weighs 3.5 ounces less (medium, with visors on). I've used the LG for a few 2-3 hours rides so far and it's a definite improvement in the neck discomfort.
Quote Reply