Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specialized Allez Sprint headset instruction
Quote | Reply
Ok like an idiot I stripped down my Allez Sprint to repaint it without keeping good records . Like most project it took my way to long.

I’m finally ( a year later ) ready to reassemble it and I’m stumped by the headset. It’s got 10 pieces and I can’t exactly remember in what order they get assembled.

Any one got something like an assembly view for this contraption?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Allez Sprint headset instruction [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Headsets are pretty easy to install.

Can you post a picture of the parts?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Allez Sprint headset instruction [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree , usually they are this one has a bunch of separate parts

Never posted a photo to slowtwitch before, hope this worked
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Allez Sprint headset instruction [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reviving this post from the depths of the forum as it is time to finally replace the original headset on my Allez Sprint.

I am wondering if you ever found an answer to your question and figured out the installation of this headset. I have asked Specialized for a SOP or instruction for the installation of these bearings. My concern is that since these bearings are specific to the Allez Sprint in the fact that the outer race of the bearing also doubles as the cup that is pressed into the frame. There is a small lip on the outer edge of the the outer race that limits the installation depth. My instinct is to treat this as a normal press fit installation but I am unsure if I could damage the inner race and bearings while trying to press the entire unit into the head tube. I do not want to damage the bearings as I press them into the head tube. I am attaching the photos of the old bearings and the new bearings. In the photos you can see that the cartridges are comprised of the outer race/cup, seal, balls and bearing cage, seal, and inner race. I am looking for any help available for this install.

Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Allez Sprint headset instruction [GingerAvenger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sure it's press fit? Most headset bearings just get dropped in, they're clearance fit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi.

You have two normal drop in cartridge bearings - one of them has just fallen apart and need replacing.

Please take it to your local bike shop and get them to supply (and fit if you're unsure) a pair of new cartridge bearings.

Pat.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Allez Sprint headset instruction [Avoneer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the correct order is a bearing dropped onto the fork (assuming the crown race is built into the fork, or already pressed onto the fork), fork inserted into the bike, then the top bearing slid down the fork into the frame, then the split collar (chamfer pointing down into the bearing), then the top cap, then your spacers, then your stem.

Hope that makes sense,

And use lots of grease on everything.

Pat.
Last edited by: Avoneer: Mar 30, 23 5:01
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Allez Sprint headset instruction [Avoneer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Confirmed by Specialized on the phone this morning. This headset install IS different than on most bikes in that the head tube is bare aluminum. There are no cups or stops for the bearings built into the headtube. The cups are designed into the proprietary headset bearing cartridges. There is a lip on the upper portion of the outer race of the top bearing and the lower portion of the outer race of the bottom bearing. If you do a google image search for the Specialized service part S192500001 you will be able to more clearly see the lip than what is in my photos.

I ended up treating this as a cup only install. I pressed in the upper and lower separately. Both were done with my HPP-2 without utilizing the stepped adapters. By not using the stepped adapters I did not have to worry about applying force to the bearing itself. The downside was that I had to take my time to ensure that the tool was remaining centered int he headtube and pressing uniformly.

Also, the bearings in my photos were separated as during removal. The inner races and balls were ejected from the cartridge due to the force required to extract the outer race/cup from the headtube when using the RT-2. There was no other race inside of the cup.

So scared of breaking it that you won't let it bend.
Quote Reply