Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sparkling water, weight loss, and a question
Quote | Reply
So for some reason I am noticeably more able to run a calorie deficit and thus lose weight when I drink tons and tons of San Pellegrino or Perrier. I think the reason is pretty simple - I have to drink it more slowly and savor it, so I don't just chug it down like I tend to do with regular water. I have always been the sort of person who drinks tons of water so the issue isn't so much hydration as it is boredom - I get easily bored sitting at my desk at work and am in constant need of chewing or sipping on something. So the more slowly I can sip on something, the longer I can last without getting up and grabbing a snack.

One issue I am finding with my 'grino addiction is that, well, it's expensive. I am trying to find unflavored "sparkling water" tablets, but can't seem to find anyone who makes them. There are a ton of products out there like Nuun everyday, etc, but I can't stand the weird sweet flavoring they put in it. Does anyone know of an unflavored sparkling water or seltzer tablet out there? Basically Alka-Seltzer without the medicine :)
Quote Reply
Re: Sparkling water, weight loss, and a question [UrsusMaximus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you considered a Soda Stream? Might not be super handy at your desk, unless you fit it underneath. Might make for an interesting conversation piece though.

Quote | Reply
UrsusMaximus wrote:
So for some reason I am noticeably more able to run a calorie deficit and thus lose weight when I drink tons and tons of San Pellegrino or Perrier. I think the reason is pretty simple - I have to drink it more slowly and savor it, so I don't just chug it down like I tend to do with regular water. I have always been the sort of person who drinks tons of water so the issue isn't so much hydration as it is boredom - I get easily bored sitting at my desk at work and am in constant need of chewing or sipping on something. So the more slowly I can sip on something, the longer I can last without getting up and grabbing a snack.

One issue I am finding with my 'grino addiction is that, well, it's expensive. I am trying to find unflavored "sparkling water" tablets, but can't seem to find anyone who makes them. There are a ton of products out there like Nuun everyday, etc, but I can't stand the weird sweet flavoring they put in it. Does anyone know of an unflavored sparkling water or seltzer tablet out there? Basically Alka-Seltzer without the medicine :)

How about just using a SodaStream sans flavor?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
La Croix. OR just get two liters of soda water.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are soluble laxative tablets not an option? Nice fizzy water and the shits, too. Win-win

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They make little fizzy water canisters that use a CO2 canister. My one concern with chugging Alka Seltzer all day long is the effect of the residue, which is probably just calcium, on your digestion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Store brand seltzer water, not sure where you are at but in the northeast it's on sale for about 50c a liter most days and the favors are pretty nice. We have polar in New England and I suppose you can find a brand near you. 0 cal

USAC, Health and Nutrition Coach
http://www.echelonhealthcoaching.com
use code SLOWTWITCH for %15 off
Quote Reply
Re: Sparkling water, weight loss, and a question [jw67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Soda stream without flavor is the answer. We use ours religiously. It's cheap, easy, you get to define the fizz level, and you can add a flavor to taste if you're so inclined.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually really like Pepsi's Bubbly product. Tastes decent (for sparkling water) and has lots of flavors. Not as pricey as flavored Perrier (which I buy when I see it on sale).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a seltzer guy, but my GF loves the Wegman's brand ginger flavor seltzer. Says it tastes like ginger ale without the sugar. It's the only brand we've seen that flavor in, so you might be SOL if there's no store near you.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Sparkling water, weight loss, and a question [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
I actually really like Pepsi's Bubbly product. Tastes decent (for sparkling water) and has lots of flavors. Not as pricey as flavored Perrier (which I buy when I see it on sale).

Perrier is mineral water. It’s considerably more expensive.

Bubbly is great. So is Waterloo. Realistically, I’ll have probably 4 a night. It might be time to kick that habit, but damn it’s tasty.

Quote Reply
Re: Sparkling water, weight loss, and a question [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Topo Chico?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sodastream or Sodasense, for sure. I wasn't convinced it was cheaper than LaCroix until I realized I was filling up my liter water bottle 4-5x a day with sparkling water... and that's a lot of cans.

Pretty sure sodastream does the same thing, but Sodasense has a really easy canister shipping / swapping program too, so you never run out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That fancy fizzy water is just,.... water (H2O) with carbon dioxide (CO2). How we ever were convinced that to pay so much for water or that it is a good diea to ship it half way around the world is just bizzare. So as people suggested, something like the SodaStream is a great idea. When I am feeling fancy I add a couple drops of condensed lemon or lime juice. I looked at one of the bottles and a serving of 1 tsp doesn't even reach the threshold of 1 cal/serving.

One thing I have heard about was dental erosion from fizzy water. I looked it up and this probably fits into the category of urban legend. so get something like a SodaStream and chug away.
Quote Reply
Re: Sparkling water, weight loss, and a question [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That ultimate weight weenie refreshment!

Some tour riders took sparkling water with a sleeping tablet as a meal replacement
Quote Reply
Re: Sparkling water, weight loss, and a question [jw67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jw67 wrote:
Store brand seltzer water, not sure where you are at but in the northeast it's on sale for about 50c a liter most days and the favors are pretty nice. We have polar in New England and I suppose you can find a brand near you. 0 cal

I do the store brand seltzer too.

Kroger stores are in 35 states under different store brands and have unflavored seltzer in both cans and 2 liter bottles:
https://www.kroger.com/p/kroger-original-caffeine-free-seltzer-water/0001111000675
https://www.kroger.com/...-water/0001111000678

They have lots of great flavors, too. Liking the new mango flavor. Root beer is a nice twist. All zero calorie.
Last edited by: HNCsurvivor: Feb 27, 21 10:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hate to say it ... a small study from Egypt found fizzy water to increase appetite. The show “trust me I’m a doctor” did a tv-friendly replication (ie no controls) and found the same.

(I was gutted because the sofa stream is the most used gizmo in my home.)
Quote Reply
Re: Sparkling water, weight loss, and a question [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How come you don’t have any mineral water sources in North America matching European offer https://ec.europa.eu/...st_eu-recognised.pdf?

Even in small Austria we have at least 3 sources every kid can name (Gasteiner, Vöslauer, Römerquelle...).

I fully agree it makes zero sense to ship H2O with microscopic mineral content around the world...

https://www.strava.com/athletes/13873052
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Borsec water the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the others... in that store-bought seltzer water is readily available; for a cost, and that Sodastream has a web-order exchange program that is much cheaper than store-bought cartridges. I've not compared the unit costs. But we went with the Sodastream setup and have been fairly happy with it since.

Not mentioned yet is the odd noise that the Sodastream dispenser makes when your liquid container reaches full saturation. Let's just say that it might raise some eyebrows at the office should you bring it to work (if you're at an office these days,) but hey, everyone needs a humor break now and then.
Quote Reply
Re: Sparkling water, weight loss, and a question [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
Hate to say it ... a small study from Egypt found fizzy water to increase appetite. The show “trust me I’m a doctor” did a tv-friendly replication (ie no controls) and found the same.

(I was gutted because the sofa stream is the most used gizmo in my home.)

This is fascinating. I’m addicted to soda water (4 or 5 a night minimum). I haven’t had it for two days. I’m going to see if it helps me drop some weight. I seemed to have slept better last night.

Quote Reply