Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spacers under stem or aerobars more ideal?
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 2019 Felt IA16 and when I brought it home I wasn't sure why there was a gap under the stem, apparently this is a spacer they put in? I never got a fit with the shop so I'm still not sure why this was added.

Please see my other post regarding the stem/frame for my confusion...I'm still kind of unsure about all of it so feedback would be greatly appreciated!

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...e_question_P6779736/

My question is, is it generally better to put spacers under the stem or under the aerobars?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Spacers under stem or aerobars more ideal? [3forcarter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand what you are asking. If there is no spacer under the stem, then slam the stem. If you haven't been fit, then perhaps you should go into your LBS and get adjusted before you decide to slam it and cut the steerer tube.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3forcarter wrote:
I never got a fit with the shop so I'm still not sure why this was added.....

Looks like a stem from a framesize larger than yours. Spacers are just for killing extra space, simple as that.
Frames are setup this way to allow for adjustment, without the spacer your handlebars would be lower to the ground. This is standard practice for selling bikes whit out a fit. My question for you is why would you buy a bike and not get a fit??

3forcarter wrote:

My question is, is it generally better to put spacers under the stem or under the aerobars?

Thanks.

There is no right or wrong answer to your question. This is all dependent on fit, the spacers you have recently discovered can all be removed or added to achieve various fits.

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
all bikes must have -17 stem slammed on bearing. Adjust spacers on aerobars accordingly

;)

3forcarter wrote:
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 2019 Felt IA16 and when I brought it home I wasn't sure why there was a gap under the stem, apparently this is a spacer they put in? I never got a fit with the shop so I'm still not sure why this was added.

Please see my other post regarding the stem/frame for my confusion...I'm still kind of unsure about all of it so feedback would be greatly appreciated!

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...e_question_P6779736/

Thanks.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Spacers under stem or aerobars more ideal? [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
I don't understand what you are asking. If there is no spacer under the stem, then slam the stem. If you haven't been fit, then perhaps you should go into your LBS and get adjusted before you decide to slam it and cut the steerer tube.

Is the carbon fibre piece in this photo not a spacer already? I was under the impression it was...but I've been wrong before

My fitter (not getting fit at the shop I purchased the bike from) said I'd PROBABLY need 4cm of spacers. So let's just say I do - I was wondering if it's better to slam it and put more spacers under the aerobars OR have the current spacer under the stem and also spacers under the aerobars.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah that spacer is not supposed to be there... someone at your shop got lazy.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Spacers under stem or aerobars more ideal? [D_PRC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
D_PRC wrote:

Looks like a stem from a framesize larger than yours. Spacers are just for killing extra space, simple as that.
Frames are setup this way to allow for adjustment, without the spacer your handlebars would be lower to the ground. This is standard practice for selling bikes whit out a fit. My question for you is why would you buy a bike and not get a fit??

Oh nono, I just didn't get fit where I bought the bike. I have another bike fitter that I'm going to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3forcarter wrote:
D_PRC wrote:

Oh nono, I just didn't get fit where I bought the bike. I have another bike fitter that I'm going to.

Right, ok. So same as post above. Selling bike shop got lazy.

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply