Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Southern Ontario: Where have you had a bike fitting and would you recommend them?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to take my existing bike in for a fitting. However, for every business or name that I have looked up, there seems to be an equal measure of positive and negative reviews for their services. I'm already reluctant to pay ~$300+ for a fitting so I want to feel like I've at least tried to do some research. I live in Burlington but would be fine to travel within the area of Brantford-Hamilton-Oakville-Toronto-etc. if needed. I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts and experiences with fitters in the area.
Quote Reply
Re: Southern Ontario: Where have you had a bike fitting and would you recommend them? [onelittlequest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
onelittlequest wrote:
I'm looking to take my existing bike in for a fitting. However, for every business or name that I have looked up, there seems to be an equal measure of positive and negative reviews for their services. I'm already reluctant to pay ~$300+ for a fitting so I want to feel like I've at least tried to do some research. I live in Burlington but would be fine to travel within the area of Brantford-Hamilton-Oakville-Toronto-etc. if needed. I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts and experiences with fitters in the area.

Dundas Speed Shop.
Quote Reply
Re: Southern Ontario: Where have you had a bike fitting and would you recommend them? [onelittlequest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was very happy with my Retul fit at Cyclepath Brantford. I think they've suspended fits right now though.
Quote Reply
Re: Southern Ontario: Where have you had a bike fitting and would you recommend them? [writersblock12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for Dundas Speed Shop

Canadian Professional Triathlete

Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Dundas Speed Shop w Scott Kelly. Went there twice over the years, driving from Windsor.
Also sent a couple of people from here there, and they all said they were happy with the recommendation.

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Liberty Cycle in St Catharines has a fitter Kyle Remple. I know he works with a number of Triathletes from the local clubs.

I have not had a fitting with him but have talked about it
Quote Reply
Re: Southern Ontario: Where have you had a bike fitting and would you recommend them? [Ben Rudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Dundas Speed Shop

Thanks all. I'll look into whether these guys are doing fittings at the moment (given covid).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endurosport. More bench strength, experience and expertise than you could find anywhere in Canada.

I think iait’s now going back 15-20 years that Slowman referred to them as being at the very front of the fitting game, anywhere ... or having learned and forgotten more about tri fitting than most fitters will ever know ... or something like that. And by all accounts, they have only got better with time.
Quote Reply
Re: Southern Ontario: Where have you had a bike fitting and would you recommend them? [Ben Rudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+another for Dundas Speed shop. Scott Kelly is the real deal!
Quote Reply
Re: Southern Ontario: Where have you had a bike fitting and would you recommend them? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
Endurosport. More bench strength, experience and expertise than you could find anywhere in Canada.

Ditto that. 1000x. If Dan Rishworth is still doing fittings, get time with him. He had the foresight to start a triathlon shop way back in the day and leaned in hard to acquiring deep expertise in all aspects of - especially cycling.

I think what many newer triathletes in Ontario don’t realize is that Dan was super tight with Gerard Vroomen back when he first commercialized Cervelo. Dan evangelized the weird new bikes with the odd brand name to his customers and Gerard could be found hanging out at the store on weekends talking about his bikes to anyone who would listen. I think that without Dan, Gerard May have had to work a whole lot harder to establish Cervelo’s footprint in the early days.

Other GTA options would be Heath if he’s still at La Bicicletta (though they tend to be more hardcore roadie than tri), or Lorne, who used to be at LB, then went to Trek and now seems to have gone LOA with the covid shutdowns - which is disappointing because he was gold.

D’Ornellas has a tri presence but the owner is more interested in being the smartest guy in the room than in listening to his customers and is wayyyyyyy to pushy, to the point of being a total turnoff.

Dennis at Racer Sportif is another noteworthy longtime tri fitter. He used to be pretty bossy as well (old school Polish roadie) but he generally means well, is trustworthy, and seems to have mellowed with age (as has Ziggy).
Last edited by: insulinpower: Nov 12, 20 19:41
Quote Reply
Re: Southern Ontario: Where have you had a bike fitting and would you recommend them? [insulinpower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Soft spot for Racer Sportif, although I no longer live in the 6. If I wanted a road bike, I would see them first. For tri, the very fact that Endurosport is still around should tell you something.

Quote Reply
Re: Southern Ontario: Where have you had a bike fitting and would you recommend them? [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
Soft spot for Racer Sportif, although I no longer live in the 6. If I wanted a road bike, I would see them first. For tri, the very fact that Endurosport is still around should tell you something.

Agreed. Aquilas are great bikes - good design, parity quality with the majors and highly competitive. Hard to believe it’s RS’ house brand. Owned 2 myself over the years and have put friends and family on them without any regrets. Dennis deserves kudos for that, if nothing else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been to Dundas Speed Shop (Scott for RETUL Road) and Racer Sportif (Frank for RETUL TT) fits and liked both guys.

Racer Sportif in Oakville always have a 12 days of Christmas event and one of those has been a $150 RETUL fit. So, I'd recommend signing up for Racer Sportif's promotional emails and see what comes up on Black Friday/Cyber Monday (that's when I got my deal in 2018), and in their 12 days of Xmas (it was Day 1 from my email records, again in 2018).

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious to know where you ended up going for your bike fit .
Quote Reply
Re: Southern Ontario: Where have you had a bike fitting and would you recommend them? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
I think iait’s now going back 15-20 years that Slowman referred to them as being at the very front of the fitting game, anywhere

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that Dan trained in tri fitting with Slowman - but don't take that as verbatim. I'm recalling a conversation I had with Dan while he fitted me back in the 90's and have a vague recollection of him saying he received trained with a leading tri bike fitting guru and bike company owner. Whether he mentioned QR by name is far to foggy now.

...or maybe it's just the early dementia setting in...

In any case, there needs to be a place reserved for Dan in the Hall of Fame. He's been so dedicated and was always just a friendly, quiet, guy, tightly focused on his category, driven to do good work and deliver a superior customer experience and happy to keep his shop small and manageable. He could have gotten big britches and expanded quickly (like Gears), or puffed up his chest and put himself on a pedestal, but he's just a humble guy wanting to do good work.
Quote Reply