Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sould I ride my new bike?
Quote | Reply
There is a chance that I might be able to get a new tri bike next week, a Softride. This one should fit, unlike my Trek which is too big for me.

However my biomechanism is used to this screwed up position and I actually do decent on the old bike. My 1/2 IM (White Lake) would be less that 2 week away, if I do get the bike. And I seem to recall Mark Allen saying never to change equipment close to one's race date.

So would it be better to ride what my body is used to, even though it's kinda screwy, or go with the better fit and since it is a better fit the biomechanics will fall into place?

Henk

Alex Jonker
Quote Reply
Re: Sould I ride my new bike? [Henk J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW I am a big believer in not changing equipment close to a race. In general you may be n for some unpleasant surprises. This is why we badger people to buy their bikes early, like October and November. But they always ignore me.
I think I would be inclined to stick to with the original equipment for this one. It may not work perfectly, but at least you know it works now.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stick to the old bike, I changed my bike drastically (got two cranks the same lenght) right before IMNZ, made for a very long bike ride. On hindsight should have left it and suffered the normal problems instead of suffering new ones you dont know about.

Thanks for the input! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys.

Henk

(trust me I was ready for a new bike a long time ago, but.......bla bla bla)

Alex Jonker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Henk, I know the big miles you put on a bike, and if you were getting a non-beam bike, I'd say ride the new bike on this weekend's 60 miler that you're planning on doing to make sure it didn't have any bad surprises, then race on it. BUT, since you've got that unknown of how the beam bike will affect your body...I'd wait.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply