Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sore Achilles tendon
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

I've been experiencing some right Achilles tendon soreness for the last week and a half, at least in the area well below my right calve and above my heel. I feel no pain while walking or running. It's not swollen and it does not feel tender. No bumps detected either. I'd love that feeling to go away though. I've been gently stretching it daily and doing eccentric exercises to work the area out pain free.

My issue is I have the LA Marathon less than 3 weeks away (24th) and I'm starting my taper. I need some advice how to proceed. I've been thinking about getting on the bike trainer and doing some 1 to 1.5 hour sessions on there in the Z2 to Z3 range to maintain cardiovascular fitness until it goes away. Or should I just take some time off?

I will see my chiropractor this coming Monday to possibly do some ART on it. Maybe that'll help too.

Thanks,
Roland
Quote Reply
Re: Sore Achilles tendon [kloofyroland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't overstretch it and make sure your issue isn't from a tight calf. If I don't take care of my calf, I'll often feel it in the lower part of the calf or in my achilles.
You may also want to look into KT Tape, as I've had a good luck with calf/achilles issues using the tape. You can find taping applications on youtube.

(I have a business relationship with KT Tape)

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Sore Achilles tendon [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how do you take care of your Calves if you're telling him not to stretch? Rolling or massaging?

Instagram or twitter me softly @xatefrogg
Quote Reply
Re: Sore Achilles tendon [Xatefrogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xatefrogg wrote:
So how do you take care of your Calves if you're telling him not to stretch? Rolling or massaging?

Rolling.
Quote Reply
Re: Sore Achilles tendon [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ShawnF wrote:
Don't overstretch it and make sure your issue isn't from a tight calf. If I don't take care of my calf, I'll often feel it in the lower part of the calf or in my achilles.
You may also want to look into KT Tape, as I've had a good luck with calf/achilles issues using the tape. You can find taping applications on youtube.

I forgot to mention that I have some KT Tape on it already, hehe. I have it applied anchored at the back edge of my arch and some moderate stretch applied straight up to the bottom of my calve and anchored there. Not sure if I need more KT tape applied horizontally. Do I?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've experienced a very sore achilles after running as well. For me, it all stemmed from having a very tight calf. The calf is pulling on the achilles. Loosen up that calf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kloofyroland wrote:
My issue is I have the LA Marathon less than 3 weeks away (24th) and I'm starting my taper.

^^^Could just be this. Every little niggle is accentuated three weeks out from a big race.
Quote Reply
Re: Sore Achilles tendon [Rossguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys. The rolling and gentle stretching are helping. It's been feeling less and less sore. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been through 2 bouts of Achilles tendinitis. Mine was pretty bad.

2 weeks on 1000mg naproxen/day
Soak in HOT water with Epsom salts. As hot as you can stand.
Stretch it out on your stairs by placing your forefoot on the step and dropping your heel with both a straight leg and bending at the knee.
As preventative maintenance you should try to stretch like this every day. It only takes a few minutes. This type of problem usually does not happen over night or go away over night. Stay on it and you will be fine. I trained through this and it likely impeded my recovery time but you do not need to rest it totally in my opinion.
Last edited by: skinnyguy: Mar 10, 19 9:51
Quote Reply
Re: Sore Achilles tendon [skinnyguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skinnyguy wrote:
I’ve been through 2 bouts of Achilles tendinitis. Mine was pretty bad.

2 weeks on 1000mg naproxen/day
Soak in HOT water with Epsom salts. As hot as you can stand.
Stretch it out on your stairs by placing your forefoot on the step and dropping your heel with both a straight leg and bending at the knee.
As preventative maintenance you should try to stretch like this every day. It only takes a few minutes. This type of problem usually does not happen over night or go away over night. Stay on it and you will be fine. I trained through this and it likely impeded my recovery time but you do not need to rest it totally in my opinion.

your suggestions are temporary fixes.

The permanent fix was I needed a shoe insert for my shorter leg. but this insert will require sometime to adjust to. So KT tape with naproxen if you goal is LA marathon, after that during recovery session go for permanent fix if indeed it is similar to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kloofyroland wrote:
ShawnF wrote:

I forgot to mention that I have some KT Tape on it already, hehe. I have it applied anchored at the back edge of my arch and some moderate stretch applied straight up to the bottom of my calve and anchored there. Not sure if I need more KT tape applied horizontally. Do I?

Check YouTube, KT Tape has a bunch of videos with the taping procedures for different injuries. I find it pretty helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Sore Achilles tendon [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I've been using KT Tape. I saw my chiropractor today and he found my right foot in a supinated position as well as turned inward. Must be from all the running! hehe. He did some bone cracklings with my foot and it seems to be better.

I'm going to see my masseuse after work and see if she can determine what's going on with my right calve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, I had some right foot structural imbalances found by my chiropractor and my masseuse found all my muscles on my right leg super tight. Needless to say the deep tissue massage was torture, hehehe!

Now I'm gonna go easy this week and the next before race day to make sure the soreness goes away. Thanks guys for your input! :)
Quote Reply