Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [Karl Rove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/reply]
I agree. If the bikes are not exactly the same, and only the positions are the same, what is the point of all this testing??? Seriously...[/reply] your attempts at sarcasm are interesting, but i think you're missing my point. i'm talking about the geometries of the bikes, not the tube shapes etc. no doubt the P3C tube shapes are likely faster, but i'm talking about tube lengths etc. so you think if the P3C's tubes were 50m long they'd still be faster than the P2K's just bc they're better shaped?
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [sib1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Have you ever recorded the x/y coordinates from the bottom bracket to the seat and from the bottom bracket to the arm rests.

4 numbers are all that is required to set up an identical position on two bikes.[/reply]
yes, i'm agreeing you can achieve the same body position (maybe i should have worded it differently in the first place) but that same body position isn't going to apply the same on a totally different frame.

for a real world example, i went from a P3C last year to an Al P3 this year just to save some money, identical body position, and i'm definitely not slower[/reply] I wouldn't even agree that one can achieve the "same" body position. One can achieve "similar body positions". but the same (identical) position, no way. How much the shoulders sag, the neck sags, the finger positioning, are all going to vary from ride to ride and even during the same ride. It is my understanding that wind tunnel testing has shown that very small differences in body position can have quite large influences on drag, both positively and negatively. Even though attempts were made to keep body position similar, it is impossible to know that they are. It simply is not reasonable to attribute all these aerodynamic changes to the bicycle frame alone.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
For instance, a current PC study going on right now the person doing the testing is blinded at to what person is doing what. The participants are not blinded, obviously, but the tester/evaluator is.

There's really no room for judgment calls or evaluator bias on the analytical side: Tom is using a spreadsheet assembled by Alex Simmons using formulas that are open and inspectable. And it would be extremely difficult for someone to manipulate the data in a way that would 1) produce an effect of the size he's showing, 2) make the profiles look the same, and 3) be undetectable. Do you recall the last time I made a statement similar to that?
But, that is not the only potential source of error. How about the accuracy or precision of the power meter?

Tom used the same power meter so even if there was an error in the meter it wouldn't explain the difference between the estimated CdAs.
It could, if the precision of the meter is not perfect. Since no measurement device is perfect, we can presume some error could come from this. Only question is, how much? What is the precision of the meter he used?

But, more than this. He is attributing all of the change to the bicycle. This is ludicrous in view of the fact we are talking about humans on a bicycle. It is simply impossible for them to be exactly the same on these different trials. The overall result could be entirely accurate but to attribute the change entirely to the difference in bicycle frames seems a bit of a stretch.
again please RTFM over and over until you can recite it by chapter and verse. The quiz will be on Monday .. But to make one point, each trial is effectively multiple trials (laps) and us visual monkeys are darned good at picking out patterns that match (or do not!). Something about the jungle I suppose ... So while I did query the magnitude of the delta, the noise ain't nearly as bad you suggest. Repeatability is ~0.001 m^2 or ~1W. Yes, that implies the PM is repeatable to around 1W. I have about five million step tests vs. my PT Pro and CT and two million with my SRM and CT from 150 to 450W and they show the same thing. Repeatability is considerably better than the stated accuracy. I have no problem with that ... Anyhow, carry on ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/reply] I wouldn't even agree that one can achieve the "same" body position. One can achieve "similar body positions". but the same (identical) position, no way. How much the shoulders sag, the neck sags, the finger positioning, are all going to vary from ride to ride and even during the same ride. It is my understanding that wind tunnel testing has shown that very small differences in body position can have quite large influences on drag, both positively and negatively. Even though attempts were made to keep body position similar, it is impossible to know that they are. It simply is not reasonable to attribute all these aerodynamic changes to the bicycle frame alone.[/reply]
again i agree.......when Cobb talks about a long drink straw being much less aero than a short one or cables being very non-aero etc, you know tiny changes make the difference. there is no way a human could completely accurately have the exact same overall position, nor can you tell me tube dimensions, materials, etc don't play a factor.

i'm not knocking Tom at all for doing this, it is pretty interesting, just saying it's no rule of thumb
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [rmur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
For instance, a current PC study going on right now the person doing the testing is blinded at to what person is doing what. The participants are not blinded, obviously, but the tester/evaluator is.

There's really no room for judgment calls or evaluator bias on the analytical side: Tom is using a spreadsheet assembled by Alex Simmons using formulas that are open and inspectable. And it would be extremely difficult for someone to manipulate the data in a way that would 1) produce an effect of the size he's showing, 2) make the profiles look the same, and 3) be undetectable. Do you recall the last time I made a statement similar to that?
But, that is not the only potential source of error. How about the accuracy or precision of the power meter?

Tom used the same power meter so even if there was an error in the meter it wouldn't explain the difference between the estimated CdAs.
It could, if the precision of the meter is not perfect. Since no measurement device is perfect, we can presume some error could come from this. Only question is, how much? What is the precision of the meter he used?

But, more than this. He is attributing all of the change to the bicycle. This is ludicrous in view of the fact we are talking about humans on a bicycle. It is simply impossible for them to be exactly the same on these different trials. The overall result could be entirely accurate but to attribute the change entirely to the difference in bicycle frames seems a bit of a stretch.
again please RTFM over and over until you can recite it by chapter and verse. The quiz will be on Monday .. But to make one point, each trial is effectively multiple trials (laps) and us visual monkeys are darned good at picking out patterns that match (or do not!). Something about the jungle I suppose ... So while I did query the magnitude of the delta, the noise ain't nearly as bad you suggest. Repeatability is ~0.001 m^2 or ~1W. Yes, that implies the PM is repeatable to around 1W. I have about five million step tests vs. my PT Pro and CT and two million with my SRM and CT from 150 to 450W and they show the same thing. Repeatability is considerably better than the stated accuracy. I have no problem with that ... Anyhow, carry on ...
I will accept your assessment of the accuracy of this result. Do you believe it is correct to assign all the change seen to the bicycle?

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
funny how none of this applies in the real world

Being out on the bike, on the road, pedalling, behaving as if you are racing - isn't real world?
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/reply]
Being out on the bike, on the road, pedalling, behaving as if you are racing - isn't real world?[/reply]
pretending like a human is able to hold the same exact position on any different bike, or even the same bike in multiple trials, is not real world.

a mannequin in a wind tunnel might be a different story....but obviously that's not real world either. in the real world guys go very similar times regardless of frame choice (within reason)

maybe if we were talking P3C over a round tube bike, but not over a bike that already has very aero shaped tubes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i admit i haven't read all the posts......but how exactly can the positions be identical?

i would assume the two frames have different TT/ST/HT/Seatstay/BB drop lengths and angles, so depending on a person's body dimensions couldn't this vary wildly, anywhere from way better to way worse?

How? As others have said, by putting my touchpoints in the exact same position relative to the BB on both bikes. Not only was it X/Y dimensions (as looking from the side), "stack and reach" to the saddle, pads, and end of the bars...but it was also pad width and extension width as well.

I did the exact same thing I'd do if I was setting up a brand new bike for myself. Why would I change my body position just because some of the frame dimensions are slightly different? That would be bass-ackwards.

I'm not following how the frame geometry dimensions could be "way better or way worse"...in what way?

As to the validity of the test, both of these frames are the size I'd buy if I were to acquire either of them brand new. Isn't that a more "apples to apples" test (i.e the frame sizes a single person would use) as opposed to comparing 2 sizes that a manufacturer happens to label a particular number?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

pretending like a human is able to hold the same exact position on any different bike, or even the same bike in multiple trials, is not real world.

a mannequin in a wind tunnel might be a different story....but obviously that's not real world either. in the real world guys go very similar times regardless of frame choice (within reason)

It's really not hard to set the bike components to be in exactly comparable locations to make it as easy as possible to hold position. Also note what Tom has said about repeatability of results during sessions.

Notice that Rik Keller got a 30s improvement out of a frame change. I had a 40s improvement from one aero frame to the next over 10mi and my predicted times using methods related to the one in this thread are usually within 1W of actual power.
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
How? As others have said, by putting my touchpoints in the exact same position relative to the BB on both bikes. Not only was it X/Y dimensions (as looking from the side), "stack and reach" to the saddle, pads, and end of the bars...but it was also pad width and extension width as well.

I did the exact same thing I'd do if I was setting up a brand new bike for myself. Why would I change my body position just because some of the frame dimensions are slightly different? That would be bass-ackwards.

I'm not following how the frame geometry dimensions could be "way better or way worse"...in what way?

As to the validity of the test, both of these frames are the size I'd buy if I were to acquire either of them brand new. Isn't that a more "apples to apples" test (i.e the frame sizes a single person would use) as opposed to comparing 2 sizes that a manufacturer happens to label a particular number?

well for example if one head tube is shorter than the other, you're going to have to add spacers, making it less aero. the difference between your necessary spacer change and mine when swapping the two bikes isn't going to be the same, and then neither are the aerodynamics.

on one bike you're going to have the seat more fore/aft, changing the aerodynamics. the difference between your fore/aft and mine when swapping the two bikes isn't going to be the same, and then neither are the aerodynamics.

if the BB height is different, and you and i both ride 56cm's, my body is going to be slightly higher or lower than yours relative to the ground, again changing aerodynamics.

i'm saying it may be a good comparative test for you, but highly unlikely that everyone else would get the same results from the same test.
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/reply]
It's really not hard to set the bike components to be in exactly comparable locations to make it as easy as possible to hold position. Also note what Tom has said about repeatability of results during sessions.

Notice that Rik Keller got a 30s improvement out of a frame change. I had a 40s improvement from one aero frame to the next over 10mi and my predicted times using methods related to the one in this thread are usually within 1W of actual power.[/reply]
right, and it's also possible you could be faster changing from a P3C to a P2K with the same perceived held position. a different frame and it's shapes/sizes etc are going to effect everyone differently. just like a bottle on the seat tube effects every bike differently, even if it's in the exact same place
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
In Reply To:

In Reply To:
Was the person doing the test blinded to the bicycles? Was the person evaluating the test blinded to the bicycles?

What would the purpose of the blinding be (besides perhaps causing the rider to crash)? Remember, the calculation is based on the recorded values of speed and power; Nothing else. Are you thinking that there would be some sort of "placebo effect" in the rider being able to telekinetically change the speed vs. power recording? You might want to think that one through again...

In Reply To:
How do we know the head was held the same the entirety of the two runs?

In this case, you'll just have to trust me ;-)

Frank has a good point here actually. Because the rider wasn't blinded to the bike he was riding, there is a possibility that he would hold his head a touch lower, hunch his shoulders a little more, or otherwise make subtle improvements to position while on the "faster" frame. He may deny that he did it, or he may not even be aware that he did, but he may have done it and you have no way to control for it.

Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [donm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Frank has a good point here actually. Because the rider wasn't blinded to the bike he was riding, there is a possibility that he would hold his head a touch lower, hunch his shoulders a little more, or otherwise make subtle improvements to position while on the "faster" frame. He may deny that he did it, or he may not even be aware that he did, but he may have done it and you have no way to control for it.

.023 m^2 worth of subtle improvements? Yow.
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The subtle changes wouldn't have to be that large to completely invalidate any estimate of time savings over 40k. We may be able to say with a reasonable degree of confidence that one frame is faster than the other, but not by how much.

Apparently engineers and bike researchers aren't very familiar with placebo effects.
Last edited by: donm: May 23, 08 16:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Then in what world is Tom reproducing CdAs to within .002 m^2 on the same bike in multiple trials? The difference he's measuring between the P2K and P3C is an order of magnitude larger than that.
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [donm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The subtle changes wouldn't have to be that large to completely invalidate any estimate of time savings over 40k. We may be able to say with a reasonable degree of confidence that one frame is faster than the other, but not by how much.

Apparently engineers and bike researchers aren't very familiar with placebo effects.
Well, that's a pretty bold statement. So if the subtle changes don't need to be that large, just how large would they need to be in order to "completely invalidate any estimate of time savings over 40K"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
for a real world example, i went from a P3C last year to an Al P3 this year just to save some money, identical body position, and i'm definitely not slower

Are you going to provide some evidence for this assertion?

How do you know your body position is "identical", and how confident are you that you're "definitely not slower"? Did you compare the two frames in the wind tunnel? Did you conduct rigorous field testing with both bikes?

Please provide evidence similar to what Tom and Rik have provided in support of their bike-to-bike comparisons.

Please explain what you mean by "real-world example", since what you've provided so far is simply an unsupported belief-based assertion.

Thanks in advance,

Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Please explain what you mean by "real-world example", since what you've provided so far is simply an unsupported belief-based assertion.[/reply]
i think the most obvious example is the fact that, if an "extremely good" frame like the P3C is 2 minutes faster in 40k or 10 minutes over Ironman (which is huge) over a "very good" frame like the P2K, then do a little real world research on pro cyclists and pro triathletes. these guys are obviously extremely close to each other in ability, and a frame that much faster would make Cervelo riders win the majority of the time (relative to the number of guys on them), which they clearly don't. CSC would have a huge advantage over other teams and dominate the time trials several deep, which they don't. a pro triathlete would have a 10 minute advantage supposedly at Hawaii, which means the Cervelo rider has a huge advantage and far more likely to win, which they don't.

science is great, but it doesn't always apply to the real world, argue it all day but it's still not yet happened.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
science is great, but it doesn't always apply to the real world, argue it all day but it's still not yet happened.....

Ain't that the truth. I'm glad you pointed out all these inconsistencies with Tom A's testing, this is what is great about Slowtwitch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Please explain what you mean by "real-world example", since what you've provided so far is simply an unsupported belief-based assertion.

i think the most obvious example is the fact that, if an "extremely good" frame like the P3C is 2 minutes faster in 40k or 10 minutes over Ironman (which is huge) over a "very good" frame like the P2K, then do a little real world research on pro cyclists and pro triathletes. these guys are obviously extremely close to each other in ability, and a frame that much faster would make Cervelo riders win the majority of the time (relative to the number of guys on them), which they clearly don't. CSC would have a huge advantage over other teams and dominate the time trials several deep, which they don't. a pro triathlete would have a 10 minute advantage supposedly at Hawaii, which means the Cervelo rider has a huge advantage and far more likely to win, which they don't.

science is great, but it doesn't always apply to the real world, argue it all day but it's still not yet happened.....[/reply]
Using Ironman bike splits always seems problematic to me...if one can go a competitive speed at a lower effort, why would they go faster when they could just save more for the run?

Second, it seems to me that CSC has to go against other teams that are using bikes like the TTX or the Felt DA...although when the P3C first came out, I do recall CSC riders winning a fair share of TTs....hmmmm....

Listen, just because a frame is "fast" doesn't mean the bike+rider will be "fast". They'll be fast(er) than they would be otherwise (all things being equal)...but, believe me, there are plenty of ways to go slow even when using a "fast" frame. Tufos anyone? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't call turtling, shrugging, etc. subtle...those actions are demonstrably measureable. Whether or not his position was "exactly" the same is a large part of the equation, and one that has been glossed over. Short of having a video of him in action at different places during the different runs with markers on, one can only conjecture that his position was "exactly" the same. "Exactly" leaves no room for any difference in his position from one run to the next whatsoever. I think that is what Sib is trying to get at. I have no doubt given Tom A.'s approach and abilities, that if anyone was going to get an exceedlingly similar position, it would be him; but "exact", no.
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Last edited by: racerman: May 23, 08 18:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

well for example if one head tube is shorter than the other, you're going to have to add spacers, making it less aero. the difference between your necessary spacer change and mine when swapping the two bikes isn't going to be the same, and then neither are the aerodynamics.

on one bike you're going to have the seat more fore/aft, changing the aerodynamics. the difference between your fore/aft and mine when swapping the two bikes isn't going to be the same, and then neither are the aerodynamics.

if the BB height is different, and you and i both ride 56cm's, my body is going to be slightly higher or lower than yours relative to the ground, again changing aerodynamics.

i'm saying it may be a good comparative test for you, but highly unlikely that everyone else would get the same results from the same test.

Hmmm...so, what you're saying is; for a given position, one of the frames might measure faster than the other because of it's "form"...got it. Ummm...isn't that what I first reported?

Listen, I really don't "have a dog in this hunt" one way or the other. In fact, since I own the P2K and don't really relish forking out money for a new TT frame, I really wish the P2K was every bit as fast as the P3C. The problem for me is; it's not. Damn you Gerard! ;-)

BTW, relative to the BB, the seats were in identical positions, so I'm not seeing your "seat more fore/aft" point. Also, I've seen evidence that raising or lowering the body relative to the ground doesn't appreciably change the drag...definitely NOT on the order of .023 m^2 or more.

I find it rather humorous that people point at wind tunnel tests of bikes without riders and say "That's not valid...you need to have a rider on it", and then when someone produces numbers comparing frames using the same rider in the same position and the same wheels some people then say "That's not valid...the rider is too much of a variable on it."

I guess measuring this stuff and making decisions based on it is just plain impossible <rolleyes>

Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [racerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I wouldn't call turtling, shrugging, etc. subtle...those actions are demonstrably measureable. Whether or not his position was "exactly" the same is a large part of the equation, and one that has been glossed over. Short of having a video of him in action at different places during the different runs with markers on, one can only conjecture that his position was "exactly" the same. "Exactly" leaves no room for any difference in his position from one run to the next whatsoever. I think that is what Sib is trying to get at. I have no doubt given Tom A.'s approach and abilities, that if anyone was going to get an exceedlingly similar position, it would be him; but "exact", no.[/reply]First, I agree "exact" is a hard pill to swallow but in many previous trials Tom has shown repeatability in his CdA estimates to within .002 m^2 so perhaps we can agree to discuss "exact" within that context. In addition, I absolutely agree that turtling and shrugging can produce measurable differences. However:
  1. Tom has spent a pretty long time optimizing his position on his P2K.
  2. The estimated CdA for his P2K run was similar to the CdA he estimated for an actual TT, so it's not like he pulled a new position out of his hat that left a lot to be optimized.
  3. You'd have to assume that shrugging and turtling when he was trying purposefully to hold his position constant would result not in an increased CdA but rather a decreased CdA from what was thought to be an optimized position.
  4. He couldn't have been doing the shrugging and turtling for only a short while, he'd had to have held the shrugged turtled position constant during the 6 km long trial run or else the P3C elevation profile would have been distorted compared to the P2K profile; and
  5. You'd have to be arguing he did this shrugging and turtling subconsciously, and it resulted in a decrease in CdA an order of magnitude larger than his normal precision.
I'm skeptical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I wouldn't call turtling, shrugging, etc. subtle...those actions are demonstrably measureable. Whether or not his position was "exactly" the same is a large part of the equation, and one that has been glossed over. Short of having a video of him in action at different places during the different runs with markers on, one can only conjecture that his position was "exactly" the same. "Exactly" leaves no room for any difference in his position from one run to the next whatsoever. I think that is what Sib is trying to get at. I have no doubt given Tom A.'s approach and abilities, that if anyone was going to get an exceedlingly similar position, it would be him; but "exact", no.
First, I agree "exact" is a hard pill to swallow but in many previous trials Tom has shown repeatability in his CdA estimates to within .002 m^2 so perhaps we can agree to discuss "exact" within that context. In addition, I absolutely agree that turtling and shrugging can produce measurable differences. However:
  1. Tom has spent a pretty long time optimizing his position on his P2K.
  2. The estimated CdA for his P2K run was similar to the CdA he estimated for an actual TT, so it's not like he pulled a new position out of his hat that left a lot to be optimized.
  3. You'd have to assume that shrugging and turtling when he was trying purposefully to hold his position constant would result not in an increased CdA but rather a decreased CdA from what was thought to be an optimized position.
  4. He couldn't have been doing the shrugging and turtling for only a short while, he'd had to have held the shrugged turtled position constant during the 6 km long trial run or else the P3C elevation profile would have been distorted compared to the P2K profile; and
  5. You'd have to be arguing he did this shrugging and turtling subconsciously, and it resulted in a decrease in CdA an order of magnitude larger than his normal precision.
I'm skeptical.[/reply] Just as I am skeptical that the entire improvement he noted is due simply to a different frame when the trials were not blinded (did he have an expectation that one would be better than the other) to either what he was riding or what he was evaluating.

The real "proof" of something being wrong is simply the frame is just not that much better than the competition in real world racing. It is laughable to think that someone at Kona would deliberately give up 8 or more minutes on the bike that would otherwise be "free", thinking that they could "make it up on the run". In 2006 C Ogden had the fastest bike split at IM Canada on what I believe was a P2 variety. How much faster would he have been on a P3 for the same effort? Not 8 minutes I suspect.

--------------
Frank,
Last edited by: Frank Day: May 23, 08 19:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

The real proof of something being wrong with this is simple the frame is just not that much better than the competition is real world racing. It is laughable to think that someone at Kona would deliberately give up 8 or more minutes on the bike that would otherwise be "free", thinking that they could "make it up on the run".

Hmmm...so the "real proof" that a measurement done under as controlled conditions as possible outside of a wind tunnel is wrong is simply that it doesn't jibe with a completely uncontrolled anecdote??

Ummm....OK....

Quote Reply

Prev Next