Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
speaking of non-ideal venues, what is your take on the "smart guys" approach of neutralizing the VE of an unavoidable (flat) braking zone by setting the VE for each record in the entire zone to that of the entry point. IOW, flattening that portion of the loop.

Better brake relatively hard and correct for it vs. raising your head, sticking out the knee ... bleeding off speed in an less obvious way?

Uhm, I'm assuming the braking zone will be short in relation to the length of the lap - otherwise - 'tis obviously not going to work too well ;-)
Hmmm. I've thought a tiny bit about this but not a lot. If this is an out-and-back and you're talking about a turnaround at mid-point, I'd tend to think there isn't much of a problem: the braking and re-acceleration out of the turn gets picked up and you just have to match up the start/finish. If this is a loop course with a lot of turns, and one of the turns is one where you have to brake, then it's slightly harder: basically, I've split the file into segments ending on the turn and matched up the segments. That might be equivalent to what you're suggesting and it's a pain. BTW, that's one of the reasons why I try not to fit on VE peaks. I always begin by doing the VE plots but I don't always end there.

it's a loop course that I'm looking at here - quite good except for one fastish, sharp, blind 90 ...

Tom. A and another person have suggested that approach ... sounded good to me vs. chopping up the file - which would have been my 1st thought. Now that zone must be truly flat of course or another error will be introduced. The loop is 4km and I figure maybe 25-50m to brake ...

edit: but I will admit I've not thought about it as much as I should have!! Setting the VE flat during braking would be fine if braking were the only source of slowing --- but we are very likely to be coasting as well -- so the drop in speed due to drop in power which should be captured will not via this method. Or am I thinking too much?

Darn Tom and his half-pipe!

Last edited by: rmur: May 23, 08 12:15
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This looks like it might be a great technique for individuals to assess how changes might affect them overall. Are they better or worse off for the change and by approximately how much.

Exactly. Isn't that the point? Faster is faster, right? :-)

In Reply To:
However, I can't see it as being particularly useful in comparing the aerodynamics of two bicycles, as was seemingly done here.

That just indicates that you don't fully understand the approach and the underlying physics of what is being measured. No big deal, a lot of people don't...

In Reply To:
Was the person doing the test blinded to the bicycles? Was the person evaluating the test blinded to the bicycles?

What would the purpose of the blinding be (besides perhaps causing the rider to crash)? Remember, the calculation is based on the recorded values of speed and power; Nothing else. Are you thinking that there would be some sort of "placebo effect" in the rider being able to telekinetically change the speed vs. power recording? You might want to think that one through again...

In Reply To:
How do we know the head was held the same the entirety of the two runs?

In this case, you'll just have to trust me ;-)

Seriously, what you point out is valid, but is just a part of using good experimental technique. To give you an idea of how well I can apparently "hold a position", in the past I've been able to get repeatability of ~.001 to .002 m^2 between separate runs of the same configuration during a session. Another thing to remember is that the "visual" nature of the technique allows one to see when things "aren't quite right" in that the laps won't be as consistent as they should be (i.e. the virtual elevation calculation "peaks and valleys" will vary inordinately). If you've read the whole thread you'll see that it was the excess variability in the second P3C run that I did which caused me to basically "toss" that run.

In Reply To:
Or, a myriad of other potential "problems"

Such as? I believe we've covered all the major ones...as Andy says "Asked and answered".

In Reply To:
However, if they feel what they are doing is aerodynamically advantageous (whether it actually is or not), this could help them psychologically. So, where is the racing benefit coming from?

Ummm...from going faster?

In Reply To:
Further, was a mistake made in the original calculations, in that the air density was not properly accounted for between the two runs? It would appear that a great deal of attention to detail must be applied here for this to be the least bit accurate, even for the overall number. I haven't quite figured out if this "error" refers to the original post or to a post on another site.

No. The ambient atmospheric values in the original posting are correct.

The error was made in that I posted a screenshot of an analysis of a TT I had run in comparing my spreadsheet to another rider's spreadsheet using his values. We were comparing them and I forgot to change the ambient values to the one's I had used. Even so, that "error" only changed the calculated CdA value by .002 m^2.

In Reply To:
Either way, it is one of those "detail" things that can greatly affect the results, which goes go my point.

It could...if you were WAY off on the inputs. But, as I said above, even that "error" only changed the result by .002 m^2...which is ~ the typical precision quoted for wind tunnel testing.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That just indicates that you don't fully understand the approach and the underlying physics of what is being measured.

I'm shocked...shocked, I say! Frank Day not understanding physics?!? Next thing you'll be telling me is that the Easter Bunny isn't real! ;-)

(BTW, is it just me, or do others here often wonder whether Frank Day and Tom Kunich are related?)
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [rmur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tom. A and another person have suggested that approach ... sounded good to me vs. chopping up the file - which would have been my 1st thought. Now that zone must be truly flat of course or another error will be introduced. The loop is 4km and I figure maybe 25-50m to brake ...

edit: but I will admit I've not thought about it as much as I should have!! Setting the VE flat during braking would be fine if braking were the only source of slowing --- but we are very likely to be coasting as well -- so the drop in speed due to drop in power which should be captured will not via this method. Or am I thinking too much?

Darn Tom and his half-pipe!

Actually, even just a "quarter pipe" with braking on the bottom portion (i.e. flat) should work pretty well...that might expand your course possibilities...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: May 23, 08 12:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
This looks like it might be a great technique for individuals to assess how changes might affect them overall. Are they better or worse off for the change and by approximately how much.

Yes. Which is why I stated it looked like a great technique for the individual to assess themselves.
In Reply To:

In Reply To:
However, I can't see it as being particularly useful in comparing the aerodynamics of two bicycles, as was seemingly done here.

That just indicates that you don't fully understand the approach and the underlying physics of what is being measured. No big deal, a lot of people don't...

In Reply To:
Was the person doing the test blinded to the bicycles? Was the person evaluating the test blinded to the bicycles?

What would the purpose of the blinding be (besides perhaps causing the rider to crash)? Remember, the calculation is based on the recorded values of speed and power; Nothing else. Are you thinking that there would be some sort of "placebo effect" in the rider being able to telekinetically change the speed vs. power recording? You might want to think that one through again...
Ugh, the purpose of blinding is to prevent the imposition of inadvertent bias into the results. Perhaps the rider "wants" the P3 to test better so while on it does things with their head, body, steering, or something else, without being consciously aware of same, that they "know" will make it look better or the P2 to look worse.
In Reply To:

In Reply To:

Seriously, what you point out is valid, but is just a part of using good experimental technique. To give you an idea of how well I can apparently "hold a position", in the past I've been able to get repeatability of ~.001 to .002 m^2 between separate runs of the same configuration during a session. Another thing to remember is that the "visual" nature of the technique allows one to see when things "aren't quite right" in that the laps won't be as consistent as they should be (i.e. the virtual elevation calculation "peaks and valleys" will vary inordinately). If you've read the whole thread you'll see that it was the excess variability in the second P3C run that I did which caused me to basically "toss" that run.
Well, since you were not blinded to the tests we can't know if there is any inadvertent bias that you injected to the results based upon your expectations. I don't doubt you did not intend to do so. But, it cannot be categorically excluded that it did not occur because you say "trust me". It is simply good experimental design. Now, it is not always possible to blind the participants to a study. For instance, people certainly know the difference between PowerCranks and regular cranks. But, without blinding the results are always somewhat more suspect when compared to blinding or double blinding. For instance, a current PC study going on right now the person doing the testing is blinded at to what person is doing what. The participants are not blinded, obviously, but the tester/evaluator is. We think that will make for a stronger study. In this instance it seems no one was blinded to anything.
In Reply To:

In Reply To:

Such as? I believe we've covered all the major ones...as Andy says "Asked and answered".
see above
In Reply To:

In Reply To:
However, if they feel what they are doing is aerodynamically advantageous (whether it actually is or not), this could help them psychologically. So, where is the racing benefit coming from?

Let me rephrase the question, your honor. Where is the "going faster" coming from?
In Reply To:

In Reply To:
Further, was a mistake made in the original calculations, in that the air density was not properly accounted for between the two runs? It would appear that a great deal of attention to detail must be applied here for this to be the least bit accurate, even for the overall number. I haven't quite figured out if this "error" refers to the original post or to a post on another site.

The error was made in that I posted a screenshot of an analysis of a TT I had run in comparing my spreadsheet to another rider's spreadsheet using his values. We were comparing them and I forgot to change the ambient values to the one's I had used. Even so, that "error" only changed the calculated CdA value by .002 m^2.

In Reply To:

In Reply To:
Either way, it is one of those "detail" things that can greatly affect the results, which goes go my point.

It could...if you were WAY off on the inputs. But, as I said above, even that "error" only changed the result by .002 m^2...which is ~ the typical precision quoted for wind tunnel testing.
But, that is not the only potential source of error. How about the accuracy or precision of the power meter? Or, the potential positioning changes? All these potential errors can add up to be large (if they are all in the same direction) or small (if they are all in different directions). Unfortunately, one cannot tell on a single trial.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How about the accuracy or precision of the power meter? Or, the potential positioning changes? All these potential errors can add up to be large (if they are all in the same direction) or small (if they are all in different directions). Unfortunately, one cannot tell on a single trial.

Attorney: "Your Honor!!"

Judge: "Say no more. Move on, Mr. Day, or I will find you in contempt of court."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Yes. Which is why I stated it looked like a great technique for the individual to assess themselves.
In Reply To:

In Reply To:

In Reply To:

Ugh, the purpose of blinding is to prevent the imposition of inadvertent bias into the results. Perhaps the rider "wants" the P3 to test better so while on it does things with their head, body, steering, or something else, without being consciously aware of same, that they "know" will make it look better or the P2 to look worse.
In Reply To:

In Reply To:

Well, since you were not blinded to the tests we can't know if there is any inadvertent bias that you injected to the results based upon your expectations. I don't doubt you did not intend to do so. But, it cannot be categorically excluded that it did not occur because you say "trust me". It is simply good experimental design. Now, it is not always possible to blind the participants to a study. For instance, people certainly know the difference between PowerCranks and regular cranks. But, without blinding the results are always somewhat more suspect when compared to blinding or double blinding. For instance, a current PC study going on right now the person doing the testing is blinded at to what person is doing what. The participants are not blinded, obviously, but the tester/evaluator is. We think that will make for a stronger study. In this instance it seems no one was blinded to anything.
In Reply To:

In Reply To:

see above
In Reply To:

In Reply To:

Let me rephrase the question, your honor. Where is the "going faster" coming from?
In Reply To:

In Reply To:

In Reply To:

In Reply To:

But, that is not the only potential source of error. How about the accuracy or precision of the power meter? Or, the potential positioning changes? All these potential errors can add up to be large (if they are all in the same direction) or small (if they are all in different directions). Unfortunately, one cannot tell on a single trial.
Frank RTFM
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [rmur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Frank RTFM

Now why should he do that, when he can just sit on the sidelines and ask inane questions that have already been addressed ad nauseum? :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
For instance, a current PC study going on right now the person doing the testing is blinded at to what person is doing what. The participants are not blinded, obviously, but the tester/evaluator is.

There's really no room for judgment calls or evaluator bias on the analytical side: Tom is using a spreadsheet assembled by Alex Simmons using formulas that are open and inspectable. And it would be extremely difficult for someone to manipulate the data in a way that would 1) produce an effect of the size he's showing, 2) make the profiles look the same, and 3) be undetectable. Do you recall the last time I made a statement similar to that?
But, that is not the only potential source of error. How about the accuracy or precision of the power meter?

Tom used the same power meter so even if there was an error in the meter it wouldn't explain the difference between the estimated CdAs.[/reply]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i admit i haven't read all the posts......but how exactly can the positions be identical?

i would assume the two frames have different TT/ST/HT/Seatstay/BB drop lengths and angles, so depending on a person's body dimensions couldn't this vary wildly, anywhere from way better to way worse?
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Frank RTFM

Now why should he do that, when he can just sit on the sidelines and ask inane questions that have already been addressed ad nauseum? :-)
Yes, why indeed? Somewhat similar to answering the same old stuff about PC's coming from those who have never tried them, let alone trained on them yet who seemingly claim to know what they can or cannot do. :-)

Here is my problem in a nutshell. Supposedly this result shows that the aerodynamic improvement seen changing from one Cervelo bike to the P3C would predict a 2 minute savings in a 40K TT. I presume that people have actually raced on this upgraded bicycle like at places like Kona. How come this improvement is not being reflected in the times there?

This result just seems so different than the racing reality. Where is this so-called difference being seen in the real world?

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [sib1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i admit i haven't read all the posts......but how exactly can the positions be identical?
Oh, I dunno...maybe Tom actually took the time to, e.g., raise or lower the seat and/or move it back and forth to make certain that they were? Just a thought....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This result just seems so different than the racing reality. Where is this so-called difference being seen in the real world?

Judge: "Okay, Mr. Day, that's it! I'm finding you in contempt of court and fining you $1000 for repeatedly asking questions that have already been answered in this thread. Do it again, and I'll have the bailiff lock you up!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Oh, I dunno...maybe Tom actually took the time to, e.g., raise or lower the seat and/or move it back and forth to make certain that they were? Just a thought....
gee thanks for the jack ass answer to my legitimate question....did you perhaps take the time to read the second part of my question?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
gee thanks for the jack ass answer to my legitimate question....did you perhaps take the time to read the second part of my question?
I did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I have to agree with you. Even if it was a very stupid question, Andrew Coggan was totally out of line when using such a sarcastic tone. Especially because, being the question so stupid, there is the danger that you are not intelligent enough to understand his sarcasm.
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [Karl Rove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I have to agree with you. Even if it was a very stupid question, Andrew Coggan was totally out of line when using such a sarcastic tone. Especially because, being the question so stupid, there is the danger that you are not intelligent enough to understand his sarcasm.
Would this have helped?
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [Karl Rove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/reply]
I have to agree with you. Even if it was a very stupid question, Andrew Coggan was totally out of line when using such a sarcastic tone. Especially because, being the question so stupid, there is the danger that you are not intelligent enough to understand his sarcasm.[/reply]
didn't sound sarcastic, and didn't at all answer my question. point is there's no way you're going to get the exact same results on two different bikes that have different dimensions and geometries even with the "same position", particularly for riders of different dimensions. especially not 2 minutes worth. maybe it did work for Tom, but not a rule of thumb by any stretch. funny how none of this applies in the real world
Last edited by: sib1: May 23, 08 14:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I have to agree with you. Even if it was a very stupid question, Andrew Coggan was totally out of line when using such a sarcastic tone. Especially because, being the question so stupid, there is the danger that you are not intelligent enough to understand his sarcasm.[/reply]
didn't sound sarcastic, and didn't at all answer my question. point is there's no way you're going to get the exact same results on two different bikes that have different dimensions and geometries even with the "same position", particularly for riders of different dimensions. especially not 2 minutes worth. maybe it did work for Tom, but not a rule of thumb by any stretch. funny how none of this applies in the real world[/reply] So despite talking about the rider's position, and how the geometries of the bikes may have been different, by "this" you really meant the time differential itself? Now that certainly makes a lot of sense...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

didn't sound sarcastic, and didn't at all answer my question. point is there's no way you're going to get the exact same results on two different bikes that have different dimensions and geometries even with the "same position", particularly for riders of different dimensions. especially not 2 minutes worth. maybe it did work for Tom, but not a rule of thumb by any stretch. funny how none of this applies in the real world[/reply] Have you ever recorded the x/y coordinates from the bottom bracket to the seat and from the bottom bracket to the arm rests.

4 numbers are all that is required to set up an identical position on two bikes.

Erik
Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
For instance, a current PC study going on right now the person doing the testing is blinded at to what person is doing what. The participants are not blinded, obviously, but the tester/evaluator is.

There's really no room for judgment calls or evaluator bias on the analytical side: Tom is using a spreadsheet assembled by Alex Simmons using formulas that are open and inspectable. And it would be extremely difficult for someone to manipulate the data in a way that would 1) produce an effect of the size he's showing, 2) make the profiles look the same, and 3) be undetectable. Do you recall the last time I made a statement similar to that?
But, that is not the only potential source of error. How about the accuracy or precision of the power meter?

Tom used the same power meter so even if there was an error in the meter it wouldn't explain the difference between the estimated CdAs.
It could, if the precision of the meter is not perfect. Since no measurement device is perfect, we can presume some error could come from this. Only question is, how much? What is the precision of the meter he used?

But, more than this. He is attributing all of the change to the bicycle. This is ludicrous in view of the fact we are talking about humans on a bicycle. It is simply impossible for them to be exactly the same on these different trials. The overall result could be entirely accurate but to attribute the change entirely to the difference in bicycle frames seems a bit of a stretch.[/reply]
--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/reply] So despite talking about the rider's position, and how the geometries of the bikes may have been different, by "this" you really meant the time differential itself? Now that certainly makes a lot of sense...[/reply]
so you're implying that the height of the head tube makes no difference, the fact that one seat tube and down tube is longer makes no difference, the fact that one seat tube is longer makes no difference........as long as his position is the same who cares? what if he had say chosen a 56cm instead of a 54cm etc frame? it's interesting, but certainly doesn't tell the whole story, and certainly not for every rider, just in the specific instance. which is fine, i was just trying to bring up a possible conflict when applying this broad spectrum
Quote Reply
Re: Something borrowed...something FAST! [mcdoublee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/reply] Have you ever recorded the x/y coordinates from the bottom bracket to the seat and from the bottom bracket to the arm rests.

4 numbers are all that is required to set up an identical position on two bikes.[/reply]
yes, i'm agreeing you can achieve the same body position (maybe i should have worded it differently in the first place) but that same body position isn't going to apply the same on a totally different frame.

for a real world example, i went from a P3C last year to an Al P3 this year just to save some money, identical body position, and i'm definitely not slower
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So despite talking about the rider's position, and how the geometries of the bikes may have been different, by "this" you really meant the time differential itself? Now that certainly makes a lot of sense...[/reply] so you're implying that the height of the head tube makes no difference, the fact that one seat tube and down tube is longer makes no difference, the fact that one seat tube is longer makes no difference........as long as his position is the same who cares? what if he had say chosen a 56cm instead of a 54cm etc frame? it's interesting, but certainly doesn't tell the whole story, and certainly not for every rider, just in the specific instance. which is fine, i was just trying to bring up a possible conflict when applying this broad spectrum[/reply]
I agree. If the bikes are not exactly the same, and only the positions are the same, what is the point of all this testing??? Seriously...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/reply] But, more than this. He is attributing all of the change to the bicycle. This is ludicrous in view of the fact we are talking about humans on a bicycle. It is simply impossible for them to be exactly the same on these different trials. The overall result could be entirely accurate but to attribute the change entirely to the difference in bicycle frames seems a bit of a stretch.[/reply]
that's what i'm trying to say
Quote Reply

Prev Next