Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Solo marathon (update with result)
Quote | Reply
Running a solo marathon tomorrow.

Excited to get out there and push myself.

Getting up at 5:30, start at 7:00. Goal to be done by 10:30.

Wish me luck!
Last edited by: triguy101: May 24, 20 7:41
Quote Reply
Re: Solo marathon [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crush it!

(I never know if "break a leg" applies to races, lol)

I did a virtual version of a marathon that got cancelled about a month ago. It wasn't as bad as I feared. I stressed about fueling and hydrating, but wound up just doing 10k "out and backs" from my house, which made it doable...gu and water on the "backs," and a gu at the turnaround. Got a little bonky at mile 22, but stopped at a 7/11 for a Mountain Dew (not the best choice, but needed some instant sugar).

Wound up finishing with a reasonably good time (for me), even though I wasn't pushing too hard, since I didn't want an extended recovery for a race that wasn't counting for anything but my own satisfaction.
Quote Reply
Re: Solo marathon [dpd3672] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dpd3672 wrote:
Crush it!

(I never know if "break a leg" applies to races, lol)

I did a virtual version of a marathon that got cancelled about a month ago. It wasn't as bad as I feared. I stressed about fueling and hydrating, but wound up just doing 10k "out and backs" from my house, which made it doable...gu and water on the "backs," and a gu at the turnaround. Got a little bonky at mile 22, but stopped at a 7/11 for a Mountain Dew (not the best choice, but needed some instant sugar).

Wound up finishing with a reasonably good time (for me), even though I wasn't pushing too hard, since I didn't want an extended recovery for a race that wasn't counting for anything but my own satisfaction.

Oh, but it did count for something. Finishing an official event is great, but setting personal records carries an often overlooked sense of satisfaction in that you have only yourself to look at in regards to pushing or wimping out.
Congrats braddah!

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my crazy friends has been doing various ultra marathons (50, 100k, and 100 miles) around his neighborhood. Another nut job I know rode 200 miles around his block (800 laps of a quarter mile loop). He did that to raise money for the local food bank. $8200.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you have it all mapped out, but allow yourself enough aid and water! Hit up those gels and and fun!!!!

Cheers

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Solo marathon [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
One of my crazy friends has been doing various ultra marathons (50, 100k, and 100 miles) around his neighborhood. Another nut job I know rode 200 miles around his block (800 laps of a quarter mile loop). He did that to raise money for the local food bank. $8200.

Good luck

200mi is legit - I like it

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck.

My main race this year was meant to be a 250 mile run race over 8 days - it was meant to have started this weekend.

I'm doing it virtually at the moment - but only doing half the daily distances - just about to set out on day 3.

Enjoy your run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck! I ran my marathon sim the day London was supposed to go off.

Sim plan, up early and avoid people out and about on London streets. Planned varying loops always stopping back by my front porch for a water/aid station.

Worked pretty well and got a solid effort in but definitely tough without a crowd or race environment to spur you on.

Go get it!

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: Solo marathon (update with result) [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So just finished!

26.22miles
3’25’28
Avg pace 7’50
First 13.1: 1’43’30
Second 13.1: 1’41’58

Perfect conditions. Started just before 7 when it was cloudy and 48. Ended at 10:20ish and it was 58 and sunny.

I did 3 out and backs of 7.7 miles and one 3miler. Mentally this helped a lot.

Took a gel every 5miles. Gulped down Gatorade and water when coming back home each lap. No pee breaks. Time does not include the drinks. So probably add another 90seconds.

Stayed within myself the whole time. Legs started to hurt around mile 18 but again just stayed steady. Watched my pace every mile to make sure I didn’t go too fast.

Mentally it worked out. The laps and gels kept me focused and ensuring that I was fueled. Probably the hardest was at the beginning where I just didn’t feel good (just my mind playing tricks on me) and with about 6 miles to go where I had a lot of self talk out loud. “Come on Chris, you’ve got this!”

Very very happy with my Corona marathon :))

Thanks for your support yesterday - kept me going as I knew I’d have to report to you all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Planning on doing a solo marathon in place of Chicago in October. I am planning on doing a 3ish mile loop because there are no stops and no traffic on that route. Any other route I plan would have chance of stop lights which I don't think I want. And easier to set up hydration unless I can get my dad to ride with me while I run and be my personal nutritionist!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Solo marathon (update with result) [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Congrats! Planning on doing a solo marathon in place of Chicago in October. I am planning on doing a 3ish mile loop because there are no stops and no traffic on that route. Any other route I plan would have chance of stop lights which I don't think I want. And easier to set up hydration unless I can get my dad to ride with me while I run and be my personal nutritionist!

Ha! That would have been nice to have had a rider :).

I would say that my loops were probably as long as I would want to go without hydration. Also it was very cool. Any hotter and I would have definitely have needed to shorten them.

Good luck in October!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let’s just hope my dad wants to! If I could do longer loops with a rider or something that would be ideal but traffic will be an issue.
And I can see myself not starting again after stopping at a stop light at mile 22! Ha.

Congrats now enjoy the rest of the day!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply