Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Soliciting Opinions - favorite (best) tubulars
Quote | Reply
Just ordered a set of race wheels (Renn disc rear, Hed3 front) and need to get some tubular tires for them. Seeing as most of you are more knowledgable than me (yes I admit it :)) I'd like your opinions on what are the top tubulars on the market today, and why they are the best. Thanks!

Mark

Fit2Tri Multisport
http://www.fit2tri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Soliciting Opinions - favorite (best) tubulars [Mark in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Continental Competitions. They're the best because that's what my LBS recommended for me, but more importantly, because that's what I have on my wheels. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TUFO.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Soliciting Opinions - favorite (best) tubulars [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Tom,

I thought you raced on Continentals in IMNZ. Why Tufo?

Thanks,

Pete
Quote Reply
Re: Soliciting Opinions - favorite (best) tubulars [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why TUFO Tom? and which ones? Thanks.

Mark

Fit2Tri Multisport
http://www.fit2tri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Junior,

I ran the Tufo S3 lites last year a few times on the H3's, plus that's what I have on the 404's that roasted your ass at Clermont. You need to look for something faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Soliciting Opinions - favorite (best) tubulars [Ironstevie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Tufo S3 lites"

Just bought some. Been using Conti's for the past few years with no complaints but am curious to try out the S3's.
Quote Reply
Re: Soliciting Opinions - favorite (best) tubulars [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tufo s3 lites and vittoria corsa.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Soliciting Opinions - favorite (best) tubulars [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too. Just bought 4 from Trisports on the 20% discount. I've heard TUFOs with the sealant are the best thing going. These will be my first go with tubulars, so I'm crossing my fingers.
Quote Reply
Re: Soliciting Opinions - favorite (best) tubulars [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might advise against the tufo sealant. It can gum up the valve and prevent smooth valve action which could lead to the valve being stuck open. Search for a thread on this about amonth ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Continental Sprinters on one set of wheels (very tough) and Tufos on another (the one on my Blade that Dan rode)
I like them both and have not had problems with either.
Cheers,
Herbert
Litespeed / QR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Tufo S3 Lites. I run the 19mm 650c on my HEDs.
Quote Reply
Re: Soliciting Opinions - favorite (best) tubulars [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody ever had problems with Conti's? I put a set of Conti Podiums on my race wheels last year. They seemed to have a "bump" in them. I never experienced this with Conti competitions (which cost more).
Quote Reply
Re: Soliciting Opinions - favorite (best) tubulars [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lucky you ... I have three Comps I just *cannot* mount straight. I'm not impressed. A lot of money for rubber with bumps.

The other bike has Tufo (Jet Special) for racing and Clement for training. Great tires.

Dre'

-----------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tufos here too. Tried Contis and Vittorias but like the Tufos best.

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've experienced the bumps in Conti's also.....

My .02
Quote Reply
Re: Soliciting Opinions - favorite (best) tubulars [Dr. Dre'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ordered Tufo S3 lites for my 404's. I was advised away from the conti comps because "they don't run true round and are hard to mount."
Quote Reply
Don't put the tire sealant in unless it is your most important race of the year [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried the Tufo sealant and it was a huge hassle. It gummed up the valve and ruined one race by not sealing well. All the air leaked out during my 36 min 1500 meter swim and I jumped on the bike with a flat tire.

If you are going to Hawaii or some other race that you have trained for all year, then perhaps the sealant might be worth it, but otherwise I would second the opinion of the above poster.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Soliciting Opinions - favorite (best) tubulars [jaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So from all the replies I guess I just wasted my money when I ordered conti comps. As I was reading this tread the UPS guys delivered the 2 conti comps I bought from biketiresdirect.com
Quote Reply
Re: Soliciting Opinions - favorite (best) tubulars [Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not necessarily ... straight ones *do* exist. I'm just strangely annoyed at poor quality control. I must say they are nice and flexible, and truly flat proof (those 5 layers sure do something). And if you are so inclined, they are easy to fix (stiching is very clean, they use a real tube, and the basetape sucks up your latex just fine).

Dre'

-----------
Quote Reply
Re: Don't put the tire sealant in unless it is your most important race of the year [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good advice. Seems like you could significantly mitigate the risk of this happening by testing this a few days before the race. Is using the sealant and the problems it may cause unpredictable?
Quote Reply
Re: Don't put the tire sealant in unless it is your most important race of the year [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I tried the Tufo sealant and it was a huge hassle. It gummed up the valve and ruined one race by not sealing well. All the air leaked out during my 36 min 1500 meter swim and I jumped on the bike with a flat tire.

If you are going to Hawaii or some other race that you have trained for all year, then perhaps the sealant might be worth it, but otherwise I would second the opinion of the above poster.

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah ... and the fact that the sealant doesn't last forever implies that the day you flat (months after application) you'll spray thin, stinky liquid everywhere. Don't ask how I found out.

So I no longer pre-treat the tires. I bring both *one* spare, and the tube of sealant and valve tool. First flat gets the spare, second flat gets the goop. Takes a bit more time, but it beats a DNF ...

Dre'

-----------
Quote Reply