Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Software that control bike trainer
Quote | Reply
Hi

For the last few years, have been using Zwift as a glorify ERG controller for my trainer. I don't really play the game, i just to the watts by coach told me to.

Let be honest, the interface in Zwift is clumsy for creating custom workout (can't do an interval with more that 2 steps)... and kind of expensive for the features that i need.

Any know a better solution.
Quote Reply
Re: Software that control bike trainer [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can create the workouts in TrainingPeaks (TP), connect TP to Zwift, and then do the workouts that way. If you have a Wahoo bike computer, you can cut out Zwift altogether and have the Wahoo control the ERG mode (after building the workout in TP). There may be another workout builder that you could use, but I only have experience with TP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As pointed out, you can use the proprietary software that comes with most trainers.

Garmin or Wahoo head units can control smart trainers that use ANT+ FE-C (most at this point).

Golden Cheetah (free) has a trainer control and workout creation scheme. (a bit clunky, in my opinion, though)
Quote Reply
Re: Software that control bike trainer [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to build in Zwift, albeit by either using the web-based utility for designing workouts, or by manually editing the files and copy/paste.

However, now my coach is sending them to me in Training Peaks and they go straight into the zwift workout each day - only issue here is that you need to make sure the FTP is the same in zwift and TP.

Can also use Garmin - pretty straight forward, I tend to design on the web browser, then save and upload to my 935/530 from my phone app, and I think there's a way to go TP>Garmin>trainer but I've not done that myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To create zwift workouts I suggest using zwofactory.com It allows you to create and edit workouts without firing up zwift. Workouts are just simple text files that can be saved to the zwift\workouts folder on your computer. Not sure about your comment about intervals with more than two steps but I usually make the interval pattern I want and then use a text editor to cut and paste as many repeats as I want. This allows me to display average power during an interval on the main zwift screen. I usually do my main intervals in free ride mode and like to see the average power.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Software that control bike trainer [null-and-void] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
null-and-void wrote:
Check out PerfPRO, which is easy to use and very robust. There will be a one time license fee and then you are done with payments.

Plus one for PerfPro. Been using it for years.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was asking myself a similar question recently (Paused zwift during summer, but still needed structured workouts for my Kickr)
(See my exact requirements in this post)

I found the android APP "Indoor Cycling Workout" to be all i need. See this post for details.

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: Software that control bike trainer [Dr Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr Phil wrote:
null-and-void wrote:
Check out PerfPRO, which is easy to use and very robust. There will be a one time license fee and then you are done with payments.

Plus one for PerfPro. Been using it for years.

Plus. It's simply the best, every feature under the sun and a one time fee.
Quote Reply
Re: Software that control bike trainer [theKAISER] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, Will try PerfPro and trying to control trainer with my 530 directly

Thanks for the info

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Resurrecting this.

I'm looking for software to create workouts and import to a Wahoo head unit to control my Kickr. I need to be able to:
-Easily build workouts with power/cadence/time targets
-Save workouts as a library for future use
-Play nice with the Wahoo ecosystem (Trainingpeaks has sometimes required a lot of futzing to get workouts to the head in the past)

It would be nice if
-I could save workouts for offline use or just keep them on the head unit for future use without needing to sync the service
-Subscription was cheap
-Decent workout analysis

I don't need
-Fancy graphics (I prefer netflix)
-Prebuilt workouts

Of course, I've read this, but it doesn't really answer the questions I'm asking. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ainer-app-guide.html
Part of me just thinks about buying a Garmin for the connect app, but I'm not sure how well that would work with the kickr. TR makes sense, of course, but its kinda pricey and I won't live in that ecosystem continuously. Is Xert the way to go?
Quote Reply
Re: Software that control bike trainer [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Xert is not the answer for Wahoo.

TrainerDay? They want to push through TP, which is a pain, but manually wouldn't be the worst (used to manually use a head unit in the Edge500 days).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out PerfPro as mentioned earlier.

-Easily build workouts with power/cadence/time targets - Yes
-Save workouts as a library for future use - Yes
-Play nice with the Wahoo ecosystem (Trainingpeaks has sometimes required a lot of futzing to get workouts to the head in the past) - Not sure. Works perfectly with Hammer, links perfectly to 4iiii, links to old Powertap wheel, links to a variety of Polar and non-name HR straps.

It would be nice if
-I could save workouts for offline use or just keep them on the head unit for future use without needing to sync the service - Yes to offline.
-Subscription was cheap - One time purchase. MUCH cheaper than subscription.
-Decent workout analysis - The Analyzer has more stats I can use, but I'm not a huge analysis nerd.

I don't need
-Fancy graphics (I prefer netflix) - No problem here. You can set up the screen layout as you wish, and it has a movie mode.
-Prebuilt workouts - Boatload of FTP and wattage based workouts, and courses available.

Quote Reply
Re: Software that control bike trainer [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understand was perfpro is a software app. Will it push workOuts to my elemnt or would that require an intermediary? I’m trying to avoid dedicating another laptop/tablet to the garage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
Looks like Xert is not the answer for Wahoo.

TrainerDay? They want to push through TP, which is a pain, but manually wouldn't be the worst (used to manually use a head unit in the Edge500 days).

You can just use your phone with Xert to do workouts. Works well with the Kickr.

Armando Mastracci, Founder of Xert, an advanced data analytics and training platform. Blog, Podcasts
Last edited by: xert: Jul 21, 21 13:12
Quote Reply
Re: Software that control bike trainer [xert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
intervals.icu has a way to type out bike workouts that makes it really easy

Warm Up
-5m Ramp 50-70%
-3m 70%

You can then sync it to Garmin as a workout or download zwo/mrc/erg files.
Quote Reply