Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Softrides still around?
Quote | Reply
I have been away from the triathlon scene for almost ten years and I have decided to do Ironman Canada 2012. I see many cool looking triathlon bikes around, but rarely do I see a Softride. I know they still make bikes, but am I correct to say that Softride is not as popular as they once were? When I did triathlons in the early 2000's, it seemed like Softrides were the bike to have. Is it just me or are people staying away from them because they are ugly? expensive? or just difficult to buy?
Maybe I`m wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Softrides still around? [tri_kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still use my old Softride Powerwing on the trainer and see an occasional Softride at races, but when I was still using mine I'd get more questions about it and strange looks. The only reason it was replaced is because it was to big for me otherwise I'd still be riding it.

Softride got out of the bike business and I don't believe you can even buy parts through them. A few years back I purchased some extra pivot bolts for the beam and beam clamps but they don't offer those parts any longer. If you break or crack the beam your left trying to find a replacement on Ebay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Softride has been out of business for quite a few years.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My ex rode one. Come to think of it, so did I at the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Softrides still around? [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still use my Powerwing at races. Bought some extra bolts a while back before they were completely out of business. Still the best ride on chip-seal pavement I have found :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my 2004 Softride TT, and I don't think I've ever been passed going downhill on a race with a disc wheel on. I would ride it more often, but don't have a powertap wheel for it so it's been somewhat neglected these past couple of years. But if the vector pedals ever come out, I may just have to put the Speed Concept on the shelf again...

FIST Certified Fitter
Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote Reply
Re: Softrides still around? [ssn759co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I had hung onto my old Softride! I miss the old girl!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The company is defunct, and unfortunately, as some people have mentioned, you pretty much had to get the parts before they closed shop.

I'm hanging onto my old softride in the hopes that eventually it will be worth something (or I can just pull a TJ Tollakson and whip it out at a big race once I get famous).

Softrides were amazing bikes--super aero, super comfortable to ride, heavy as a boat anchor, but sexy like Bar Rafaeli.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that Softride shut down production a few years ago. You still see the odd one at races. I know there were a few at IMC over the weekend that I saw.

I have personal fond memories of riding and racing on the first generation of Softrides back in the early to mid '90's. I was sponsored by them at the time. Had some of my best races ever as a triathlete on the original aluminum Softride Solo. At the time, many said that this was the future of riding - People said this, but more than a few other manufacturers stepped up to make Softride beam compatible bikes. There was a bit of micro-momentum that was building up. All of this when the sport of triathlon went into a bit of a slump in the mid-'90's - the first down-turn that it had experienced.

I am not sure of the absolute reason for Softrides decline and subsequent shut-down, but it may have been the UCI banning of them. Of course, this should have not impacted what went on it triathlon, but clearly it did.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Softrides still around? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fwiw - storck is displaying a beam bike at eurobike this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the Softrides, still faster than anything I have ever ridden in the wind and downhill. I have 3 and will never let them go. Not the best climbers, but they can still be built under 20lbs. and hold their own.

If you want a "new" Softride, R & A Cycles still has 6 original 2001-04 frames for sale. http://www.racycles.com/...ride&x=0&y=0

There are a lot of Softride "haters" out there, however you will never find someone who had one that didn't love it.

Good luck.

Quote | Reply
I have one that I never ride sitting in my basement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still riding a Softride "Lite" (bit of an oxymoron I know) from 2000. I bought it used in 07 and am starting to get nervous every time I take it out to race that the pivot point or beam will crack. But I still love the bike. Very versatile for positioning but I wish I had been able to get a size small instead of XS. I think I could use a little bit more saddle height but im topped out and you cant get the extender anymore.

God's in his heaven, alls right with the world -Nerv
Quote Reply
Re: Softrides still around? [suparuki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neighbor across the street from me still rides his. He does IM and KQ'ed this year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can still find used. I came across a Softride Qualifier early August and rode it in IMC 3 weeks later. Was way nicer than the Softride Solo i have had since 97
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can still find a couple on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/...=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Upgrade the fork and it's faster than any of today's UCI-compliant "superbikes".

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Softrides still around? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still train and race on my 1998 PowerWing 700. Best tri bike, EVER! Legs are fresher for the run after riding on crappy roads. Also, with the absence of a seat tube and seat stays I believe it to be more aero/ faster that a lot of the "superbikes" of today. Just one man's opinion, though.

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: Softrides still around? [TriDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDave wrote:
Still use my Powerwing at races. Bought some extra bolts a while back before they were completely out of business. Still the best ride on chip-seal pavement I have found :)

You have not ridden a TITANFLEX.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply