Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Softride Power V TT review. Your thoughts
Quote | Reply
I've just bought one, (L frame) and will take delivery in about 2 weeks time. I understand it is a heavier carbon bike than you would expect from today's carbon bike. I currently have been riding the Cervelo P2C for 3yrs and most of my racing is sprint to 70.3. I've read Dan's bike reviews on ST. Have you as a rider of the carbon Power V seen much difference in racing performance between the Power V (PV ) and today's carbon TT bike (should you own one). Just wanting to hear other owners views having ridden both. I can only take one bike on the plane.

? On Olympic and HIM distance what sort of improve (if any) in your bike splits
? Any improvement in your run split
? Bike fatigue

In regards to frame size; I'm 6-1, with inseam of 33, if you're similar in size, have you found either frame size L or XL a better fit.

I've found running on a TM has helped reduce the shock on my knees and by the sounds of things the beam bike might also contribute to less bike fatigue should I decide to step up from HIM to IM distance training. I hoping to preserve my 48yo bones as best as I can.

Thanks in advance for your positive feedback.

age is just a number after your name
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Power V TT review. Your thoughts [AussieMikeinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the first run Zipp 2001 which I loved that utilized the same Allsop beam you will most likely have. It was and is my fav bike ever for long course due to comfort and it's substantial. However, even the smoothest of circular strokes will introduce some bounce on the beam. If you are a big masher more than a spinner it will be very evident. Not trying to qualify one as better than the other, but it's something you will deal with.

Not sure I have ever heard a terse word from a Softride owner I'm sure you will love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Power V TT review. Your thoughts [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i had a softride for 5 years, with a 56 chainring, i was a masher, no bouncing, i just got a new one, rebuilding it
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Power V TT review. Your thoughts [ian moone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ian moone wrote:
i had a softride for 5 years, with a 56 chainring, i was a masher, no bouncing, i just got a new one, rebuilding it

No kidding? Huh. Was it the older PowerV with the Allsop or the newer stiffer integrated beam made by Softride? Maybe it was just me, but dang I was bouncy on my Zipp/Allsop.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Oct 18, 12 13:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power wing aluminium frame, carbon beam, 200 lb beam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode on a Power-V for a few years. Most comfortable bike I ever had. I would build one back up in a heartbeat if I could find one...
I'm 6'3", 170lbs. Rode an XL with the stiffest beam. I also had one of the "tall" seat clamps.
Never had any "bounce" problems, and I tended to be a low cadence/big gear masher back then.
You'll love it.
Just remember that the beam compresses under load, so setting your seat height/level just right is a bit tricky at first.
Make sure to post pics once you have it ready to roll!
Enjoy,
John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own 2 power v's. A 700 c med frame and a 650 small frame. Weighing at 160 I have had no bounce problem on either bike. The 650 has a 56 chain ring on it and thats where I do most of my riding. The bike is great for a flat course even by todays standards. I also own a p3c and a p4 and the power v is just as fast on some courses
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ian moone wrote:

Well go figure, maybe it was just me! Dang I loved that thing so much I started selling stuff left and right the minute I saw Welchie ripping on it....this pushed me over the edge(notice the Headway which is scarily like some of the lids seen last weekend...what's old is new!:

Last edited by: tigerpaws: Oct 18, 12 15:26
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Power V TT review. Your thoughts [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks rhudson, just what I was hoping to hear. I weigh 184 and 6-1...it would seem I am either large or x-large. The bike is the 1st gen "s" beam.

FWIW how much time gain did you get on a flat course using the PV over the p3c.? 1-2mins...or 3-4 mins all things being equal of course. And any noticeable improvement in your running off the bike using the PV?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey TP....I know of a guy who I've been talking with over the past several days dicussing frames, he literally has a dozen of Powerwings. Can't say too much (wink wink nudge nudge say no more), only to say he got a ripper of deal for a bulk purchase. I could choose either large frame or XL. I'm 6-1 @ 184, What do you think XL??

M

tigerpaws wrote:
ian moone wrote:

Well go figure, maybe it was just me! Dang I loved that thing so much I started selling stuff left and right the minute I saw Welchie ripping on it....this pushed me over the edge(notice the Headway which is scarily like some of the lids seen last weekend...what's old is new!:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike the Softride I had was the aluminum Ironman branded version and I'm almost certain they were sized differently than the PowerWing. My Zipp was a large frame, but if memory serves they only offered a single beam size on that(choice of frame and beam was one size only). I *think* they sized my aluminum Softride as L. Very hazy on the frame options so hopefully someone will chime in who is still riding one.

I'm one of those guys who likes to stretch out and would always rather be on a slightly larger frame, being scrunched up or having to ride a 130mm stem on a tt bike isn't my cup of tea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
ian moone wrote:

i am the same size has Welchie, i ride a small with a 200 lb beam, the lid was way ahead of it's time, i wonder if that company is still around

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Headway helmets are long gone, think they were an Australian company? Haven't seen any around here in Oz since the early 2000's.
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Power V TT review. Your thoughts [j2k2dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ready to roll....went out for a 3hr ride and not a bit sore in the saddle and can see 4-5hr rides doable in the future without the fatigue.

hoping to rebuild it with a new paint job someday like this....

paid $300 carbon power V

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
I had the first run Zipp 2001 which I loved that utilized the same Allsop beam you will most likely have. It was and is my fav bike ever for long course due to comfort and it's substantial. However, even the smoothest of circular strokes will introduce some bounce on the beam. If you are a big masher more than a spinner it will be very evident. Not trying to qualify one as better than the other, but it's something you will deal with.

Not sure I have ever heard a terse word from a Softride owner I'm sure you will love it.

Smoothness on a beam bike isn't really just about pedaling in circles, but in matching your upstroke and downstroke forces. You can mash if you must, just pull up with the other leg with the right timing and effort to avoid the dreaded seat bounce. I found that I bounced for the first 500 or so beam miles, then it went away. I would guess that a certain product that encourages stronger pedaling on the upstroke would also be useful to reduce beam bounce. YMMV.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Power V TT review. Your thoughts [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:

Smoothness on a beam bike isn't really just about pedaling in circles, but in matching your upstroke and downstroke forces. You can mash if you must, just pull up with the other leg with the right timing and effort to avoid the dreaded seat bounce. I found that I bounced for the first 500 or so beam miles, then it went away. I would guess that a certain product that encourages stronger pedaling on the upstroke would also be useful to reduce beam bounce. YMMV.

did he just say what I think he said? hisssssss
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Power V TT review. Your thoughts [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
btmoney wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:

did he just say what I think he said? hisssssss

Fu*k me sideways, I think he did....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Dozen Powerwings!? Where these the composite version? Thanks to this thread and past interest in beam bikes, I just picked up a Power-beam. I love the look of that frame. Have taken it out a few times and seems very stiff. Not crazy heavy either. I will post pictures as I work on bike.

AussieMikeinSD wrote:
Hey TP....I know of a guy who I've been talking with over the past several days dicussing frames, he literally has a dozen of Powerwings. Can't say too much (wink wink nudge nudge say no more), only to say he got a ripper of deal for a bulk purchase. I could choose either large frame or XL. I'm 6-1 @ 184, What do you think XL??

M

tigerpaws wrote:
ian moone wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello AussieMikeinSD,

I am a big fan of beam bikes. I am still looking for more Zipp 2001 and 3001, Lotus Sport 110 and Softride Power V and Fastt. I am looking for anything else that catches my eyes especially the 90’s time trial bikes. Please do let me know if anybody has one for sale.
-Max T

Here are my bikes that I still have:

Life is short, enjoy, love, peace!
Click here to download more bicycles in maximum resolution:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxtbicycle/

`

Last edited by: maxtbicycle: May 23, 13 12:24
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Power V TT review. Your thoughts [maxtbicycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know....as cool as all the bikes are today, I can't ever love one like I did my first Carbon Fiber bike in 1991. That was the Kestrel 4000. What a beauty...thanks for posting the picture of yours.
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Power V TT review. Your thoughts [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello devashish_paul,

Thank you for sharing with me and bicycle fans for your thought so well. I agree with everything you said. I remember the first time I rode a Zipp bike in my life. It was right after I graduated, my first job and my first check was going straight for a Zipp 2001 bike. I remember it was a small frame large beam 650c Zipp 2001 in pure deep glossy black paint job. Everything was black like stealth. I remember everybody was turning head when I cruise downtown of Portland Oregon. I was flying with the happiest smiling on my face. I will never forget that adrenaline rush feeling. I just could not believe that it was real.
Max
Last edited by: maxtbicycle: Mar 16, 13 2:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bottle (vertical) between the aero-bars, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Power V TT review. Your thoughts [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maxtbicycle---I MAY want to sell my Zipp 3001, red, 700cc original condition bike. It is a large frame and large beam. I will know if I am going to sell my Zipp 3001 in a week or two as I am waiting on a new bike to be shipped to me. Thank you
-----------

2011 Broward County 60-64M Sprint Tri Champion
2011 1st place 60-64M Race Troops Sprint Tri
2012 1st place 60-64M Spring Training Sprint Tri
2013 1st place 60-64M Bone Island HIM
2013 1st place 60-64M Tri-Miami International Tri
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Power V TT review. Your thoughts [spearit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maxtbicycle---I MAY want to sell my Zipp 3001, red, 700cc original condition bike. It is a large frame and large beam. I will know if I am going to sell my Zipp 3001 in a week or two as I am waiting on a new bike to be shipped to me. Thank you
------

Hello spearit,
Great, please send me some photos in large resolution at maxtbicycle@yahoo.com. I have just arrived back to California last night. Do follow up with me and we can work out the process.
Sincerely,
Max T
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Power V TT review. Your thoughts [maxtbicycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maxtbicycle---I will be happy to take pictures and reply back to you in a week or two as soon as my new bicycle arrives. I want to make sure my new bicycle will work for me first before I sell my red Zipp 3001. Thank you
----------

2011 Broward County 60-64M Sprint Tri Champion
2011 1st place 60-64M Race Troops Sprint Tri
2012 1st place 60-64M Spring Training Sprint Tri
2013 1st place 60-64M Bone Island HIM
2013 1st place 60-64M Tri-Miami International Tri
Quote Reply

Prev Next