Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Softride - why the negativity?
Quote | Reply
It looks like I'm about to be given the opporutnity to buy a new FasTT for really cheap - really cheap. I seem to get the vibe that most tri geeks think they suck but I never get the idea of why. What is it about them? The very first race I did I saw a woman wheel one by and I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen.

I have lower back issues which I hope might be helped by the Softride and certainly know I'd need to work on my pedal stroke to keep from bouncing. Isn't that a positive thing?

Come on, let me have it. Unload. Why don't you like them??

Quote | Reply
I have been on and raced 8 IM races on Softrides for years - no back issues, never had any, it is a fast fast bike...dont listen to people chanting sour grapes.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Softride - why the negativity? [Fletch Lives] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I posted about this a awhile back and the typical response was either that they just didn't like the looks or that they were non ICU legal for the folks doing TT's.

I'm actually surpised that their isn't more Softride love on this forum. They're faster in the wind tunnel than any double diamond frame and seem to be the cat's meow for low back pain sufferers. If I was in the market for a new tri bike, I'd look be considering one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never listen to people. They're insecure and irrational.
Quote Reply
Re: Softride - why the negativity? [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like CerveloGuy, I think it's just that they are non UCI legal & they are different is why. I have a standard frame road bike, but I love my Softride Rocketwing for triathlons and solo riding. You can't beat the comfort and it's fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's a medium, they're awful. You'll bounce all over the place, you'll look silly, and you won't be able to race in UCI races. It'll probably hurt your back too from all the bouncing.

If it's any other size, just the opposite.

Since a cheap medium obviously won't work for you, I'll help out your source by picking it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No negativity here, so I'll share some love.

I just got my first SR two months ago. No back problems, just upgrading from a '97 Kilo and found a great deal on this '02 Rocket TT so went with it.

First 1/2IM in May, so no races on it yet, but so far so good. The usual dialing in issues since I self-fit, but so far I consider it a good score.

Good luck with it.

T
Quote Reply
Re: Softride - why the negativity? [one_lap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One_lap - that's funny.

By the way- this would be for tri's only. I'm not a road racer so the UCI stuff is of no concern to me.

Quote | Reply
I think they're awesome. I just don't like some of the weight limits. (Me weigh heavy)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was sponsored by Softride in 1995-96 through my local store. It was a great bike. I just did not like the weight issue, which they have solved. Super fast and comfortable.

The only problem that they have not solved is delivering a smallish frame (like a 52) with a short chainstay (like 39) and a long front centre, all with 700 wheels so that the bike handles well when the seat is up at >76 degrees. This problem is solved in their 650 bikes, but not in their 700 bikes that I am aware of.

For this reason, I went with a Guru tri lite last summer when buying a tri bike that met my requirements (700 wheels, 52 cm, short chainstay, longer front centre than a road bike).

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can't blame a guy for trying... I have a rocketwing that I love. My intention when I get the scratch together is to use it as an everyday road bike and get a fastt (or whatever they call it then) set up as a race bike. I too don't bike race, so that's not a concern at all. And I'm not nearly good enough to notice the pound or two difference in frame weight from a conventional bike. I've heard softrides knocked as poor climbers but I pass a lot of double diamonds up some steep hills, so I don't think its all that true. Nothing but love for them here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Softrides are cool. Period. The new FasTT is their best one yet.
Really cheap, go for it.
(out of curiousity, just how cheap is really cheap?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you asked yourself why is it really cheap? They look sexy, but that's about it. Climb like... well, let's just say they don't climb so well. Heavy. And although they are reportedly the most amazing thing in a wind tunnel, we don't race in a wind tunnel. The beam adjustment hardware breaks annually, often when packing the bike for a big race. Most friends who had them, had 2 or 3 frames because they kept sending back for various warranty issues and would get new frames. The great thing is than means that one can sell the brand new warranty frame on ebay and get something better.

Back issues: make sure you get fit properly. The softride is not likely the answer.

ps: great ID name!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Folks that swing both ways ;-) Roadies and Triathletes I mean. Bias against a bike that [legally] can't do both would account for some of the negative comments. Love of traditional frame styles would account for some others. I've been riding softrides since 96 and love em. I also don't knock traditional framed bikes that others use either. To each his own. Softride works for me.

steve h.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate softrides... and I admit that I don't have a great reason.

I don't think they actually qualify as bikes... more like concept bikes.

I've ridden one and it was a dog and bouncy as hell. Every person that has talked to me about how "great" a Softride is was THE definition of a trigeek and/or had never been on a decent TT bike.

They will always have a place for people with back pain. But as a general rule of thumb - adding suspension to a road bike is pussy.
Quote Reply
Re: Softride - why the negativity? [xen355] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just for grins, what do you think of TitanFlex?

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Softride - why the negativity? [cmetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the hardware adjustment and rigamoroll is why I went with TitanFlex. Doesn't get any more simple. You can dial in the amount of suspension with different booms and/or lengths of boom extension. Rated up to 305 lbs. in the stiffest situation. I'm going to post a picture of mine to see if Ze Gopha approves of it's appearance...the only thing that seems to hold some people back from taking the plunge into actually comfortable bike riding.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xen355, why the hate for Softride ???

Using your definition, it must be really bad to be a trigeek, and clearly Jurgen Zack must be pussy for setting all kinds of course records on a softride :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ONLY reason the beam bounces is when someone has a crappy stroke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode/raced (TTs) a Softride for 3 years. The bike was fast a pretty aero. It was also a little heavier than other bikes. Setting the bike up was a lot of work… it’s tooooooo adjustable… plus pre-loading the beam is a trial-n-error effort. After I finally got it set-up (took a better part of a year to get things just right), I was happy with how it worked. On long rides (200 miles) the bike was great… maybe that is why there are so many Softrides at RAAM events!! The ‘bounce’ that some people speak of does NOT go away. It becomes less and not noticeable (and a non-issue as far as I’m concerned), but it doesn’t ever completely disappear.

I think some of Softride’s bad rep. might come from the ‘factory service’ end of things… I’ve heard many not-so-good things from a dealer perspective from the 1997-2002 era.

I think it is an ideal bike for ultra endurance events.

JB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have nothing but love for Softrides, and I have never had a bad back. Way back in the day, I had a Specialized Allez Epic, and since all the tri's in the area are on all these backroads (read -- chip-sealed), the road buzz just got to me. I checked one out at Kulshan Cycles in Bellingham, and in 10 minutes I was hooked. That was around 1990.

I have one custom Paul Barkley road, a TiCycles custom road, and another TiCycles (steel this time) track/single speed. Love them all.

And I have never found it to be a detriment on climbs (a couple USCF hillclimb TT titles to back that up).

As for legality issues, for road racing in the US, it's not an issue. USCF does allow Softrides in mass start races -- but if you race abroad, you're screwed.

Folks who find them to be bouncy don't have a smooth pedal stroke. Period. And since a lot of these riders are "experienced", they blame the bike. If they give it a chance, the bike will smooth out that pedal stroke and all will be well in the world again.

When I got the first one, Paul convinced me to go with the lighter beam. His take was that folks who paid a lot of attention to the weight limits of the beam found that they wanted a plusher ride within a year anyway, so why not start there to begin with. I have never regretted taking that advice. The actual breaking point of the beam is MUCH higher than the weight limit printed on the sticker (on the order of 700lbs).

And the only issue I've had with ANY of the mounting hardware was a pin that slid out on a ride on my TiCycles (NOT the fault of Softride at all). They replaced that pin with a swedged one, and it's been golden ever since. I'm still on the original beams on all 3 rides, with a LOT of use on all of them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been riding a new Rocket SE7 for almost 2.5 months and here are my initial observations:
  • Weight - the SE7 comes in at 17-18 lb with my race wheels on it. This is about 3.5 lb lighter than my old bike and it climbs like a goat (I like the hills) - Ok, so not quite fair going from an old heavy steel bike with steel forks but you get the point.
  • Ride quality - Wow... now let me say that again, Wow. The biggest difference I ACTUALLY feel is that I have tons more energy towards the end of century rides. It could be that I just feel faster on this bike but I could easily argue that removing the vibration from rough roads helps. On sections of road on my old bike, I would feel the strength leave my legs on the rough stuff - not any more.
  • Bouncing - At first I had a slight pogo feeling when my cadence got over 105 (when I would lose good form). Not any more - I do get that noticeable feedback and concentrate on my form again.
  • Climbing ability - (really weight again but it seems people get hung up on this) I actually agree with Softride's philosophy: an extra pound is insignificant when compare to the other 'total bike weight' contributors - the big one is the engine (my weight swings pretty radically depending on hydration levels). The difference is a water bottle. Rotating mass of my wheels contributes much more 'heavy feeling' then an additional weight of a bike frame. All this assumes that all bikes are built up with the lightest possible components. And a spare tube? Are you kidding? The extra weight will make me lose.
  • At the IM distance race: THE RUN. Ok, so I haven't done a IM bike then IM run on this bike... yet (wait 30 days and I'll get back to you). When I have done my shorter runs after a century, my legs feel better than they did. Granted, I have more training and possibly a distorted view of 'pain' but don't we all. So far, I will say that I do feel fresher than I did last year and I don't dread the run-after-bike discomfort.

I will honestly suggest a Rocket (now a FasTT) to anyone regardless of the race distance. It would be very hard to get me to give the bike back. Ultimately, if you are considering a new bike - give one a try... an honest try. Get beyond the look of it. Talk your local tri shop into letting you ride it over a couple days. So what go me to buy the thing in the first place? I test rode it. That and a cute girl from the tri shop ended up buying it for me.

Climb1mt - Now posing on a Softride - catch me at a theater near you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode a Softride in IM Kona 2003. I did about 800 miles on the bike prior to the race. I sold it when I got back.

It was comfortable @ Kona and for training. I live in the Virginia mountains and , yes, it did "climb like a goat"---a BIG, FAT, LAZY goat! ;-) It was like pulling a trailer up the mountain. Fast on the flats. And the bounce/flex was very noticible, but given I race @ 185# that may have an impact. Being larger a couple pounds of extra bike weight isn't a huge deal, but I never got used to the Softride.

HC

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always had back ache and the Softride made no difference to it.

On the version I had (power wing I think) the back wheel was a swine to put back on. This was a known 'fault', confirmed by a softride wrench who accompanied Jurgen Zach to a triathlon club meeting I attended.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trouble with a softride is that they look cool, climb well, are very fast - and if you have a rotten pedal stroke you bounce all over.

I have had one for 3 years - the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden - and I've had no problems with the bike at all.

do it - you won't regret it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next