Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by RBR
Last edited by: RBR: Jun 28, 18 12:53
Re: Socks legal in swim? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neoprene socks are usually allowed whenever it's wetsuit legal. I almost always wear those to save my feet from cuts on the rocks as I start/exit or if there's any sort of run involved back to T1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think it depends upon the race organization. no in ITU races.
peggy
Quote Reply
Re: Socks legal in swim? [David Swafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David Swafford wrote:
Neoprene socks are usually allowed whenever it's wetsuit legal. I almost always wear those to save my feet from cuts on the rocks as I start/exit or if there's any sort of run involved back to T1.

Definitely not wetsuit legal in FL in June. Lol

I was surprised when the race director said that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are several races where folks will leave flip flops or old running shoes at the swim exit, figuring the time spent putting them on is worth it either in speed running on rough surfaces or in avoiding cuts.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Socks legal in swim? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
There are several races where folks will leave flip flops or old running shoes at the swim exit, figuring the time spent putting them on is worth it either in speed running on rough surfaces or in avoiding cuts.

Maybe you didn’t see the start was sharp rocks as well as the end

Asking if it is legal to wear socks in the swim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Maybe you didn’t see the start was sharp rocks as well as the end

Asking if it is legal to wear socks in the swim

It seems like they are legal if the race is wetsuit legal. I've worn the blueseventy swim socks for my last 5 or 6 races just because of the rock at both the swim start and exit. These races were wetsuit legal, but I didn't wear a wetsuit, just the socks. I started wearing them after I cut my foot at the start of the swim.

In my opinion, if the race directors aren't providing a safe surface for the start and exit of the swim, they should be allowing swim socks no matter what the water temp is.
Quote Reply
Re: Socks legal in swim? [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have seen an athlete with normal compression socks , never neoprene socks on a non-wetsuit day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Short answer is no.

If it's wetsuit legal:
Quote:
(c) A wetsuit may cover any part of the body except the face, hands, or feet;

If it's wetsuit-illegal:
Quote:
Swimwear must not cover the neck, must not extend past the elbow, and must not extend past the knees; (DSQ)
From the 2018 Ironman rulebook.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Socks legal in swim? [David Swafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're not legal unless the water is below 18.3c. From the Ironman rulebook:

Quote:
(e) Neoprene or any other booties are prohibited unless the water temperature is 18.3 degrees C/65.0 degrees F, or colder; (30 or 60 Second Time Penalty (as applicable)

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Socks legal in swim? [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
Short answer is no.

If it's wetsuit legal:
Quote:
(c) A wetsuit may cover any part of the body except the face, hands, or feet;

If it's wetsuit-illegal:
Quote:
Swimwear must not cover the neck, must not extend past the elbow, and must not extend past the knees; (DSQ)

From the 2018 Ironman rulebook.

So it looks like WTC and ITU ban them while USAT allows them.

Again, I think that RDs should make exceptions for them if they aren't going to provide a safe swim entrance and exit. For example, Boulder Beach at Lake Mead is a minefield of sharp rocks and broken bottles, so much so that the parks department posts warnings about it when the water is low. A triathlon held at a place like that should allow them.
Quote Reply