Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Socks Damnit
Quote | Reply
So I am out of socks somehow. They have all disappeared randomly as socks seem destined to do, but upon looking for more I have become extremely frustrated with either how expensive they are and how "limited' their prescribed usage is.

I am trying to find some socks that I can cycle AND run in. I don't want all these god damn socks that cost 20 dollars a pair and are only truly intended for only running or only cycling. Are there not any socks that are designed for both that actually look good that I can also maybe get more than one pair of, like in say, oh I don't know, a fucking THREE-pack and that are a reasonable price??

Please help or send me socks for xmas.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Socks Damnit [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought these the other week:

https://www.amazon.com/...00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nothing fancy. I mean, they're freaking socks...

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Defeet's website has an offer where you get factory seconds for $5/pair. You don't have option to pick design, although you can if you pay full price. Socks are, in my opinion, fine for both cycling and running 🏃
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I use DeFeet Aireator socks. Though I don't pay what seems to be a high list price for them. I buy them from the local race director at $5 a pair. They might even sell you some and ship them if you want to reach out to them. Or come do a race and get yourself some. http://www.dinoseries.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In our town or tiny city is company that's making socks for craft, salomon, skins etc. And they have factory shop where they sell "faulty" socks.

So two weeks ago i bought 10 packs (2 pairs per pack; 4€/pack) of awesome craft socks. very thin,... great for hot summer days.

And few pairs of compression socks which are 5€/pair (craft) and ~3€/pair (skins). :) Every now and then i do stockpile shopping. :D

Don't stop when you're tired. Stop when you're done.

- D. Goggins

Quote Reply
Re: Socks Damnit [JMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JMike wrote:
Defeet's website has an offer where you get factory seconds for $5/pair. You don't have option to pick design, although you can if you pay full price. Socks are, in my opinion, fine for both cycling and running 🏃

Could not agree more.

AlyraD: so if they are selling you socks for running and socks for cycling, they just want to sell you more stuff.

But i do have socks only for cycling, only because of one reason, which is color. I have fluo yellow sidi wire shoes, so i have fluo yellow socks. For running i just use regular socks, which you can see on my previous post.

Don't stop when you're tired. Stop when you're done.

- D. Goggins

Last edited by: PinaMan: Jul 11, 19 13:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't wear socks for running or cycling.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Socks Damnit [PinaMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the same socks for running, cycling and pretty much anything else. They are cheap puma socks, ankle high and they last for a decade. I think i might have paid €10 for 3 pairs. I also have B brand (Decathlon 3€ for 3 pairs for the really thin ones and they have high quality ones that are €6 a pair.) and brandless socks (Lidl), which are as good. I do much of my running and cycling sockless if temperatures alow it so my feet are not realy sensitive. All my socks are black so i don't have to match colors (not that i would anyway). My advise would be: don't spend too much on socks, try cheap socks and if you don't like them get different ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Planet X. Any of the 'high top' socks are now my go to socks for both biking and running. £1.50 per pair!!

https://www.planetx.co.uk/...thing/footwear/socks
Quote Reply
Re: Socks Damnit [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love those Saucony socks for running. Hate them for riding (too thick)

To me, the socks serve a different purpose and having separate ones make sense. Castelli/Defeet/Swiftwick all make great cycling socks that are lightweight, thin, and offer a bit of compression. For running, I want something with cushier bottom to help absorb impact but still well ventilated on top (Saucony/Balega)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last time I needed socks I gave up on trying to find reasonably priced basic socks, since they scarcely seem to exist anymore.

ebay has lots of sketchy deals, like
https://www.ebay.com/...i-Mens-/401644851605

six pairs for $10 ?

I bought a six-pack of what claimed to be Saucony socks, work fine in bike and run, so far they don't wear out any faster than expensive socks and are quite comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m a fan of SLS3 stuff as “cheap, but good”.

I don’t have these specific socks (link below) myself, but I do own a TON of their full calf compression socks, and also the low-calf ones.
Very happy w all.

Can use for bike &/or run without issue.

https://www.amazon.com/...ycling/dp/B078TM7WK1

3 pack for $15 seems pretty solid.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using Saucony socks for running. I picked up 18 pairs on Amazon for $35.
Aside from that, I have been using swiftwick socks as well.
They maybe $20 a pair but they seem to last 3 to 4 times as long as all my other socks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't mind paying a little more for a few pairs that will last a long time, check out Darn Tough. They literally have a lifetime guarantee, no questions asked. Come in various height and thickness for running and/or cycling. I have a couple and are my preferred for cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: Socks Damnit [jonmhicks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on Darn Tough. I have 2 pairs of Asics socks I bought years ago to get free shipping from Road Runner (?). Best running socks I have. Perfect height, slightly compressive, cushy bottom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, Federmut are $15/pair. You can run or cycle in them. The Wassner twins are the US retailer of them and you can find the shop here: http://www.athletefood.com/shopfedermut I have a couple pairs...if they were a US brand they'd probably $30...

However, most of my running socks are ankle store brand BS I've had for 8ish years? yeah that's probably awful.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Jul 11, 19 20:50
Quote Reply
Re: Socks Damnit [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
Love those Saucony socks for running. Hate them for riding (too thick)

To me, the socks serve a different purpose and having separate ones make sense. Castelli/Defeet/Swiftwick all make great cycling socks that are lightweight, thin, and offer a bit of compression. For running, I want something with cushier bottom to help absorb impact but still well ventilated on top (Saucony/Balega)

Cushier bottom - does a thicker sock pile under a 140+ lb frame (I'm assuming same arguement could be made for anyone weighing >20 lbs) acutally make any difference what so ever? I could see it maybe filling a gap where your foot touches the shoe less, maybe creating a sensation of better connectivity with the shoe. But I've always considered the thick sock bottoms to be baloney wrt actual extra cushioning.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Socks Damnit [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x3 darn tough, don't wear any other brand anymore for any activity.
Quote Reply
Re: Socks Damnit [Terrordact] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pair of socks never completely disappear, it's always just one who goes missing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
They have all disappeared randomly as socks seem destined to do,
Socks don't disappear. They escape.
Quote Reply