Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Social Distancing and Triathlon
Quote | Reply
I just saw a White House briefing on COVID. Dr. Deborah Birx said that social distancing will “be with us through the summer” in the US. Is it wishful thinking or are there scientifically based ideas for how you can have a socially distant 70.3 or Ironman? Promoters of Berlin Marathon realized that you can’t have a socially distant marathon this fall and cancelled. What does Ironman know that the promoters of Berlin don’t know?
Quote Reply
Re: Social Distancing and Triathlon [riverdaledad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How to wait until the very last minute to cancel your race :-)

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Social Distancing and Triathlon [riverdaledad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see how you can practice social distancing at a triathlon, especially one with a large number of participants. You can implement measures when it comes to registration, transition/rack space, and even swim starts. That all gets thrown out the window once the race is on and you have 1500-3000 people of varying skill levels out there. Racers are going to get bunched up. I've done mass starts, rolling starts, and wave starts where I started in one of the early groups or one of the last groups. There was always crowding on the course, most notably the run course, no matter when or how I started.Then you have all the issues with aid stations, volunteers, support crew, emergency crew, spectators, etc.

They can control athlete registration/check-in, transition, start, and finish area. Everything that happens in between start and finish is basically uncontrollable.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Social Distancing and Triathlon [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even if some of the racers want to risk it, these races run on an army of volunteers and those folks are unlikely to want to do things like man aid stations. Every race I've been in, water safety has had to assist someone and I'm not sure how you wear an N95 while on a surfboard or jetski.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Social Distancing and Triathlon [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I envision the small (<100), local sprint races to be the green shoots for the sport. Time trail starts, snake swim if in a pool, spread out the field, transition areas with 6' between bikes, instructions on how to pass on bike & run...whatever can be done to create space. This will then allow communities to evaluate what happens (contact tracing) & then approve larger races. Waivers will probably change too.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply