Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll be amazed at how little time it takes to get bike fitness back if you are in shape running.

This ^^^^ is absolutely the truth. One could literally drop cycling completely today, focus on running through June and July, pick up cycling in August and have your best race ever in September.......at any distance.


**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [Mr. Bubble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pepsi, Snickers and beer


**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [Mr. Bubble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so long as you get adequate calories - his diet "plan" is a pretty good approach.
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [PapaBear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read this old post last year and decided to follow it. I started in July because my I had missed a lot of training early in the year and I pretty much sucked at any race I entered so I said "What the Heck" lets give it a try. Prior to this decision my typical month had about 75 miles of running. I had only hit 100 miles once in 3 years. I used the Barry P 1,2,3 plan for the format and began to build miles starting with 100 in July, Aug & September 2011. I didn't die, suffer any injuries or fail to complete my swim & bike workouts. The secret was to follow BARRYP advice & plan and do long slow distance. I moved the mileage up to 130 for Oct, Nov, Dec. Still no problems but I did let the bike training slip a little. This year mileage went 160, 143, 170 and I picked the bike back up to three hard sessions a week. My long Saturday run built to a maximum of 15 miles. Did at least 2 swims a week.

Last month (April 12) I did a 70.3. My best prior time (Sep 2009) was 5:31 with a 2:09 run for the final leg. In April I went 5:14 and completed the run in 1:52. This course was NOT as flat as the prior 70.3. I cut 17 minutes off the run and felt strong the entire race.

I will point out that I am now competing as a 58 year old and am in my 5th year of doing tri's. I have no running background prior to starting to do tris.

Doing what BarryP & Desert Dude say just plain works. You don't need to do any speed work until you reach the point that don't have time to run further and still need to improve. At that point you can add a little speed work. Going LSD allows you to complete your other workouts and avoid injuries. It is freakin awesome.


http://bigmikega.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [BigMikeGA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great news! Thanks!

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"One could literally drop cycling completely today, focus on running through June and July, pick up cycling in August and have your best race ever in September"

I say, One could literally drop running completely today, focus on cyclong through June and July, pick up running in August and have your best race ever in September.......at any distance"

Why, fitness is fitness.......
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Why, fitness is fitness.......

I think that's a bit simplistic.

I think what Mojo was getting at is that if you are in pretty solid shape, you could stop training for a while, then start up again and get yourself back to that level pretty quickly. The reason why you'd have your best race would b eif you've never really aproached your running potential. So you might be a 22 mph biker and a 9 min/mile runner. You slack on on biking, pick up the running, and get your run down to 8 min/mile. Pick the biking back uo and get back to 21.5, maybe 22 mph. The overall total time will be better.

This assumes a few things. 1) That you haven't already maxed out your running potential and 2) that there's more room for improvement in the run than on the bike (biking has a bit more diminishing returns due to the effects of wind resistance at the higher speeds).

On the flip side, this might not be a bad strategy for a maxed out runner who is getting into triathlon, except focusing on the bike instead of the run.


Beyond that, fitness is not really fitness. If that was the case, then when I started triathlon why was I exahsuted riding for a flat 30 minutes at 14 miles an hour despite being able to run a 16:00 5K? There's not really a whole lot of cross over between the events.


-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [BigMikeGA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigMikeGA wrote:
I read this old post last year and decided to follow it. I started in July because my I had missed a lot of training early in the year and I pretty much sucked at any race I entered so I said "What the Heck" lets give it a try. Prior to this decision my typical month had about 75 miles of running. I had only hit 100 miles once in 3 years. I used the Barry P 1,2,3 plan for the format and began to build miles starting with 100 in July, Aug & September 2011. I didn't die, suffer any injuries or fail to complete my swim & bike workouts. The secret was to follow BARRYP advice & plan and do long slow distance. I moved the mileage up to 130 for Oct, Nov, Dec. Still no problems but I did let the bike training slip a little. This year mileage went 160, 143, 170 and I picked the bike back up to three hard sessions a week. My long Saturday run built to a maximum of 15 miles. Did at least 2 swims a week.

Last month (April 12) I did a 70.3. My best prior time (Sep 2009) was 5:31 with a 2:09 run for the final leg. In April I went 5:14 and completed the run in 1:52. This course was NOT as flat as the prior 70.3. I cut 17 minutes off the run and felt strong the entire race.

I will point out that I am now competing as a 58 year old and am in my 5th year of doing tri's. I have no running background prior to starting to do tris.

Doing what BarryP & Desert Dude say just plain works. You don't need to do any speed work until you reach the point that don't have time to run further and still need to improve. At that point you can add a little speed work. Going LSD allows you to complete your other workouts and avoid injuries. It is freakin awesome.

So, you are 58, I am 55. So, you have seen first hand how slow most of the folks run in our AG. Personally, I do not see any value in the risk to increase the run mileage since it will go away quickly from either age or injury.

Everyone is different, but I just do not buy into, for our age, that one needs, or is safe to do, lots of running. I see too many on this board that are saying how do you help me with X injury, which is related to running. How ofter do you see this for swimming injuries?

What I do see is many older folks kicking ass in the swim and bike.

So all I know is I never run over about 18 miles a week, which is around your 75. 100% LSD. 100% trail running. Lots of big hills. 3 days a week swimming. 6 to 7 biking on my trainer for an hour with my powercranks. Zero speed work.

Just ran the fastest 10K at WF Oly in my life.

So, there is more than one way to get fast in the run. I just love doing it with the least amount of actual running.

Again, different things work for different folks. I just see too many hurt from too much running.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not going to disagree with you. W each need to listen to our bodies ..But..(yeah there's always a but). Let me tell you what I think. When I started tri's 5 years ago I had been riding a bicycle for about 5-6 years. Spent 2 years on a comfort bike then got a rode bike. Best I could do was about 17mph for an hour. I worked at it and got up to 20mph with the roadies. Got talked into a tri and had a blast. I could barely swim. Spent the next 2 years working on swimming. Went form not being able to swim a 100 in less than 2:30 to 1:30 and I can hold 1:42 per 100 for the 70.3 swim. This is not fast but the time needed to improve beyond that speed is astronomical compared to Bike & run for incremental improvements.

In all my training my biggest obstacles are size & recovery. At 6'3" & 215 I am allergic to hills and I really did not enjoy running. I would go out and run my 3 or 6 miles as fast as I could, be sore, fell like crap and continue to hate running. By last year I was a good biker averaging 20.7 for the bike leg at 70.3 (good for top 5 in AG). Already discussed swimming speed (generally top 20%). How the heck do I pick up 20 minutes in a race to go from 10th in age group to potential podium at a large 70.3 with 60+ competitors in my AG (run around 50-60% in AG). I was giving everything back that I gained swimming & biking on the run. Because of my poor performance doing shorter quicker runs I decided to do the opposite. First thing I noticed was that running was not as "hard" and I wasn't sore the next day. It did not impact my ability to perform my other disciplines training. I slowly ramped up the mileage and had to keep reminding myself to GO SLOW. Did a standalone 10K in month 4 and ran a 49 which was quite a bit better than anything I had done previously. Felt the training was validated and kept doing it. Did a 5k a month later and posted a 22:39 - over 2:30 minutes faster than the time I posted just 5 months prior.

Fast forward to the 70.3 and I dropped 17 minutes off my previous best 70.3 time. The best part is at no time did I have any real pains, injuries or whatever. If I don't think I feel like running I still go and run at least a mile and then decide if I really want to bag the run. Usually I end up doing the run. Consistent LSD has been very easy on my body. If you had ever suggested that I would run a 15 mile training run I would have laughed in your face. I can't think of any other easy to do training that could yield this type of result. I can see that with riding 6 times a week that you may have limited extra available time. I will suggest that you could probably maintain that level of biking performance on 3-4 rides a week. If you can try this starting in the off season say October and do it through March I am willing to bet that your overall times will be better than this year and you will have an easier time handling your overall training stress. Would be an interesting experiment wouldn't it.

I know that I was apprehensive about trying this. I thought that I might break down due to the impact of running. By doing true LSD I avoided all of the issues that you alluded to in your post. I have talked a couple of other people into trying this approach. The ones that actually do LSD are posting good results. Most people don't have the discipline to run this slow. They don't trust the approach and end up sabotaging it by running too quickly


http://bigmikega.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [BigMikeGA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigMikeGA wrote:
I'm not going to disagree with you. W each need to listen to our bodies ..But..(yeah there's always a but). Let me tell you what I think. When I started tri's 5 years ago I had been riding a bicycle for about 5-6 years. Spent 2 years on a comfort bike then got a rode bike. Best I could do was about 17mph for an hour. I worked at it and got up to 20mph with the roadies. Got talked into a tri and had a blast. I could barely swim. Spent the next 2 years working on swimming. Went form not being able to swim a 100 in less than 2:30 to 1:30 and I can hold 1:42 per 100 for the 70.3 swim. This is not fast but the time needed to improve beyond that speed is astronomical compared to Bike & run for incremental improvements.

In all my training my biggest obstacles are size & recovery. At 6'3" & 215 I am allergic to hills and I really did not enjoy running. I would go out and run my 3 or 6 miles as fast as I could, be sore, fell like crap and continue to hate running. By last year I was a good biker averaging 20.7 for the bike leg at 70.3 (good for top 5 in AG). Already discussed swimming speed (generally top 20%). How the heck do I pick up 20 minutes in a race to go from 10th in age group to potential podium at a large 70.3 with 60+ competitors in my AG (run around 50-60% in AG). I was giving everything back that I gained swimming & biking on the run. Because of my poor performance doing shorter quicker runs I decided to do the opposite. First thing I noticed was that running was not as "hard" and I wasn't sore the next day. It did not impact my ability to perform my other disciplines training. I slowly ramped up the mileage and had to keep reminding myself to GO SLOW. Did a standalone 10K in month 4 and ran a 49 which was quite a bit better than anything I had done previously. Felt the training was validated and kept doing it. Did a 5k a month later and posted a 22:39 - over 2:30 minutes faster than the time I posted just 5 months prior.

Fast forward to the 70.3 and I dropped 17 minutes off my previous best 70.3 time. The best part is at no time did I have any real pains, injuries or whatever. If I don't think I feel like running I still go and run at least a mile and then decide if I really want to bag the run. Usually I end up doing the run. Consistent LSD has been very easy on my body. If you had ever suggested that I would run a 15 mile training run I would have laughed in your face. I can't think of any other easy to do training that could yield this type of result. I can see that with riding 6 times a week that you may have limited extra available time. I will suggest that you could probably maintain that level of biking performance on 3-4 rides a week. If you can try this starting in the off season say October and do it through March I am willing to bet that your overall times will be better than this year and you will have an easier time handling your overall training stress. Would be an interesting experiment wouldn't it.

I know that I was apprehensive about trying this. I thought that I might break down due to the impact of running. By doing true LSD I avoided all of the issues that you alluded to in your post. I have talked a couple of other people into trying this approach. The ones that actually do LSD are posting good results. Most people don't have the discipline to run this slow. They don't trust the approach and end up sabotaging it by running too quickly


I am also not trying to say what is correct.

I have been doing this for 16 years, pretty hard for 5. So, getting a good multi year base helps a lot.

And yes, 100% LSD running for me. I probably do 10 minute pace for all my race, but can do a 6:30 in a race.

Now, the one thing I see in your post that caught my eye was your weight. I see very few "big" people being able to run fast. I raced for years at 6'5" around 175-180. I just kept saying how doing I bike and run with the 140 guys? So, I decided to lose weight (I was 149 in high school), and see what happens. I currently have found 160 is my target and boy has they helped me run faster!!! (Still cannot catch the smaller guys, but I try)

Bottom line is what gets us out of bed 7 days a week, 12 months a year to train is what is important. I no longer care about how "fast" I am. Just being out with the smaller group of older guys is what I am trying to do.

Congrads on your results and progress.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: May 15, 12 11:08
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave:

Wow, 160 pounds! Seriously?????? I was 170 leaving high school and couldn't do a single push up. Spent the next 30 years playing basketball for fun and lifting weights to "be in shape". Do you find it difficult to restrain your caloric intake or is this just comnfortable for you. Before starting trathlons my weight ( I admit not great shape) was around 240-245. I had a bone spur on my knee that hurt too much th play ball on so I took up riding a bike. I have been under 200 for about a day in the last 40 years. If you have a secret that I can use to drop to 190 I would love to hear. I may just need to wire my mouth shut.


http://bigmikega.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [BigMikeGA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paleo diet, veggie juicing, long slow large volume miles...= fat burning machine..

Was 203 coming out of college last June. Today I weigh 168... 6 days a week training..have patience and be consistent

--------------------------------------------------------------------
COROS Sports Science

Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [ddalzell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like I thought, need to wire my mouth shut. I am typically training about 9-10 hours a week so I cannot do a lot more there and hold a job. Just have to say no to foods I like. Wish I had my high school metabolism. I was eating stuff to try to gain weight then.


http://bigmikega.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [BigMikeGA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigMikeGA wrote:
Dave:

Wow, 160 pounds! Seriously?????? I was 170 leaving high school and couldn't do a single push up. Spent the next 30 years playing basketball for fun and lifting weights to "be in shape". Do you find it difficult to restrain your caloric intake or is this just comnfortable for you. Before starting trathlons my weight ( I admit not great shape) was around 240-245. I had a bone spur on my knee that hurt too much th play ball on so I took up riding a bike. I have been under 200 for about a day in the last 40 years. If you have a secret that I can use to drop to 190 I would love to hear. I may just need to wire my mouth shut.

Do I have a secret? Is will power, focus a secret? I do not drink, do not drink cola stuff, do not stuff myself full of snacks, only eat 3 good meals a day, exercise 2 hours a day.

I actually got back to 151, but did not feel right. I still get many comments that I look like I just got out to the death camps. But, if I want to compete at my height, I am just lucky I have a small bone structure to start with.

I have yet to see a big person what they eat that I do not just tell the wife it is easy to see why they are big. If I had that much food, and that much food crap, I would be over 200 also.

So, if you were 170 in high school, this implies you have a small bone structure, so I see no reason you could not get to 180 if you really wanted to.

I tell me wife all the time it would be impossible for a person to be heavy if they ate like me. No seconds. Fixed serving size. When I grab cookies, I take 2 and put the rest away. Would I love to eat the entire bad, YEP!.
But then I could not race.

This video from Dr. Oz was right on the way I do things. One key is I check the scale each night. When I hit 165, I have to stop eatting so much. When I hit 159, pig out time.

Take a look at the video and tell me if you are doing all 7 of the tips. I do.

http://health.yahoo.net/...7-habits-slim-people

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on the paleo diet and juicing you can have as much as you want :) If you want to eat a full package of chicken with 3 peppers, a carton of mushrooms, a full onion and your bowl covered with salsa and guacamole.... then do it ... I may have done that a few hundred times haha..

You should need to starve yourself...just make sure that what you are eating isn't preserved or altered with chemicals... let it be natural and your body will do what it was designed to do!

the body is amazing, don't fuel it with the wrong things.... It'd be like fueling your car with chocolate syrup or some absurd thing... you wouldn't do that so why do that to your body?

After the first 2 weeks its easy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
COROS Sports Science

Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope not all 7. Guess I have a new to do list. Biggest issue I have is eating lunch when at work. Not a lot of good healthy options around here. Next issue is no snacking after dinner. Maybe I should just go to bed :)


http://bigmikega.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [BigMikeGA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigMikeGA wrote:
Nope not all 7. Guess I have a new to do list. Biggest issue I have is eating lunch when at work. Not a lot of good healthy options around here. Next issue is no snacking after dinner. Maybe I should just go to bed :)

As I said, it is not easy. I know when I eat a cup cake at lunch, I have to not each my third sandwich. Pretty simple.

It just is how important is it to get faster? No matter how much training you do, the easiest way to get faster is take the weight off.

I bet if you met all 7, your 190 lb goal will be a piece of cake :o)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
3Aims wrote:
200 miles is like a peak build for an IM. One month that is. Four? Breakdown city for most.


Unless you are plodding along 50 miles a week should take you less than 8 hours a week. I'm really being loose with my definition of plodding also. Now lets take Florida Ironman as an example only 400 people actually broke 4 hours on the run. In other words over 80 percent of the field was running over 9 minute miles. Arizona had almost this same percentage.

Lets see here... hmmm you're running a marathon but 50 miles a week is too much, it seems some people should drop the biking and pick up the running. That explains the times at least, I guess.

I'm not sure how many IMs you've done (never know on this board), but I would not put all your stock in run splits. Usually, not always, but usally those that do are average at the other respects. I'm fully aware of the run split numbers at IMs having been at that dance a few times, but I'm not only interest in "finishing strong" or "running fast". I'm interested in putting the fasting TOTAL time together at any distance. It's about balance and finding that personal equation that puts you in the best postion to finish with the fastest total time. That's where people need to spend their training time, figuring out their own equation to determine where you have natural speed and where you need to work on aquired speed. If you suck at running, yea, run more. If you are naturally good at running, not necessary. My only point is running a crap load of miles is not the answer for everyone. It's not that 50 miles per week is too much for a marathon, but 50 miles a week for 16 straight weeks? Get real.
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My only point is running a crap load of miles is not the answer for everyone. It's not that 50 miles per week is too much for a marathon, but 50 miles a week for 16 straight weeks? Get real.

Actually for a straight marathoner, even sub elites are doing more then that per week. 50mpw isn't really a lot of miles when one is just running, even for a 60 yo. You say get real, I say I've seen lots of 60yo's running that mileage.

I think what you are actually missing about this whole conversation is the point of it. It's not to hit a specific mileage total, it's to make a lasting improvement in your run.

You say you are an older athlete. Wouldn't it be nice to not slow down for the next two-three years on the run? Wouldn't it be nice to not chase last years run times this year but instead maybe even speed up a bit?

You need to put this challenge into context. When it was issued, why and what the purpose is.

You say you want the fastest total time possible. But you are not seeing the forest trough the trees. Don't forget many of the times the fastest overall times are laid down by the faster(est) runners.

If the total fastest time is your goal, running, of any of the three sports in an IM, is the #1 reason why people do well or race poorly. You can draw a very, very strong correlation between the top run times and the Kona qualifiers in the AG ranks. You can also draw a strong, maybe even a stronger correlation, between the people saying if only I had run X or XX or XXX many minutes faster I'd have done well or I would have qualified.

In triathlon, and the longer the race the more the run makes or breaks your finishing spot. This challenge is about turning that run into a weapon to use against your competitors and not chasing limited gains with temporary fixes.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta Twitter

Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Word.

I used the original post of this to motivate me to up my run training in the winter of '06-'07. Got my weekly run mileage up into the 50's, and maxed out at 60 or so.

The result? Bumped up my V.Dot 2 points.
Permanently.

Unlike some St'ers, I don't put a whole lotta credence in USAT rankings, but - that run improvement (along w some other improvements/upgrades) moved me from missing AA honorable mention in '06 (in spite of qualifying for Kona that year, WTF?) to easily making AA each year since.

YMMV.


float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Word.

I used the original post of this to motivate me to up my run training in the winter of '06-'07. Got my weekly run mileage up into the 50's, and maxed out at 60 or so.

The result? Bumped up my V.Dot 2 points.
Permanently.

Unlike some St'ers, I don't put a whole lotta credence in USAT rankings, but - that run improvement (along w some other improvements/upgrades) moved me from missing AA honorable mention in '06 (in spite of qualifying for Kona that year, WTF?) to easily making AA each year since.

YMMV.

So, what were your run times at various distances before and after. What age per times? Did you lose weight?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My weight remained the same. It had gotten down to ~154/70kg the prior year, and is still the same now.

V.Dot went from 56 to 58 over that run training block.
(at my best these days it's more like 59 now)

I'm going to do another run focus this Fall, to prep for NYC.
Hopefully I'll bump it up another notch.

Edited to add:
Hilly 30k (Wurtsboro Mtn) '06 - 2:12.
Same race, near the end of that run block '07 - 1:59.


float , hammer , and jog

Last edited by: Murphy'sLaw: May 15, 12 16:57
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
My weight remained the same. It had gotten down to ~154/70kg the prior year, and is still the same now.

V.Dot went from 56 to 58 over that run training block.
(at my best these days it's more like 59 now)

I'm going to do another run focus this Fall, to prep for NYC.
Hopefully I'll bump it up another notch.

Edited to add:
Hilly 30k (Wurtsboro Mtn) '06 - 2:12.
Same race, near the end of that run block '07 - 1:59.

IMO, no question, the longer the event, the more critical the run training with more mileage and longer runs. One also has to find if they are a fast twitch or slow twitch kinda person. I know many racers who do not even warm up on the run until well after 10K. For me, I slow down. I can get away with limit running for an Oly distance, even a half marathon. But when I train for a full marathon, yep, I have found without increasing the mileage, I am impacted. But, I still have never needed to run those kinda miles and have done okay for me at a marathon. Could I do better with more run training, maybe, but not worth the risk to me for injury, and just too boring.

Congrads on your improvement, hope you can keep improving.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave,

A - you don't have to quote for every reply. Just reply.

B - somebody who seemingly enjoys pool swimming as much as you do, says running is "boring" ?? Huh?
As compared to staring at a black line? That's a hoot.

You can mix up courses, distances, road vs track vs dirt roads vs trails, hills or flat, stready, interval, fartlek, speed, etc.
Meanwhile, a pool is pretty much like every other pool. And the scenery never changes.

As a buddy of mine who had a 2 decade+ running streak going at one point once said, "if you think running is boring, you aren't running fast enough"


float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who said I enjoyed pool swimming? It is boring. Who said I enjoyed my bike trainer? It is boring. All of the exercise for me is boring. But I love to race which I do not find boring. So to race, I have to train, unless
they can come out with a pill. :o)

I enjoy helping others learn the sport of triathlon and how, for me, this boring exercise can make their life better. I love helping at races giving back and seeing the excitement of others meeting their goals.

I love teaching folks to water ski. I love to help folks train and race to get on TeamUSA. I love lots of stuff, just not training.

Oh well, ...

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply

Prev Next