Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
So what stupidity/epicness/overreaches are you planning for 2014?
Quote | Reply
Title says it. What do you have on the docket for 2014? How are you going to get there in your preparation?

ps I'm using this as a cheat sheet for more ideas.
Quote Reply
Re: So what stupidity/epicness/overreaches are you planning for 2014? [Insidious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: So what stupidity/epicness/overreaches are you planning for 2014? [Insidious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long distance (50+ miles) mtb races either single speed or on the fat bike.

Also a midnight to sunrise century ride.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: So what stupidity/epicness/overreaches are you planning for 2014? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice. What distance event(s)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...forget IM, Leadman... And dust off the rowing shell for the Masters Rowing Championships! Cross training isn't bad, right... Shame masters rowing is a stupid short distance (1,000m).

Also 5k National US masters open water swimming championships in Elk lake!

Quote | Reply
I really have no idea what I am doing, but I'm thinking Match Sprint, Kilo, Pursuit, and whatever else I learn about that is relatively short.

Right now I am just riding around on a fixed gear trying not to crash myself by forgetting that I can't coast.

Insidious wrote:
Nice. What distance event(s)?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Oct 13, 13 10:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I no longer have a track (velodrome) easily
available to me, I'm going back to Ironman. IM Chatt was too tempting to not sign up. Might have to change my user name back.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will only have money to do my own race in May. I think its stupid/epic enough, so I'll have to work hard during the winter when I'd rather drink, its a tough course for mid may in upstate NY.

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultraman Florida Feb 21-23rd followed by the Florida Double Anvil (iron) on Feb 28th....

At least one Trans-Continental cycle tour..

Hopefully by the end of those two I'll be fit and skinny again

---
Quote Reply
Re: So what stupidity/epicness/overreaches are you planning for 2014? [TriSliceRS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSliceRS wrote:
...forget IM, Leadman... And dust off the rowing shell for the Masters Rowing Championships! Cross training isn't bad, right... Shame masters rowing is a stupid short distance (1,000m).

Also 5k National US masters open water swimming championships in Elk lake!

Yeah, 1K is a short warmup. The real Masters rowing season is the head season.

So are you going for the single then?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Insidious wrote:
TriSliceRS wrote:
... Shame masters rowing is a stupid short..

Yeah, 1K is a short warmup. The real Masters rowing season is the head season.

So are you going for the single then?
I have a single, and don't live anywhere near a club, so yes... A single. I'm going to start throwing my name into the hat for the Head of the Charles... When I wind the spot, it will be off to Boston. I might do some heads in Portland and Seattle this time next year.

Quote | Reply
Cool race. Wonder if you can find a few crazy folks to double it with AmZof the next day? Not me......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really want to do the Vatternrunden in Sweden some day but likely won't be 2014 now that my wife has decided to do IM Tremblant. Its a 300 kms bicycle ride around a lake in central Sweden that attracts around 20,000 participants. Not really a race, at least it won't be for me. Sounds like a long day on a bike saddle. I admit its kinda stupid to travel all the way to Sweden to ride a bicycle around a lake when I could do that at home, but its about the event.
Quote Reply
Re: So what stupidity/epicness/overreaches are you planning for 2014? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 race every month starting in April until IMWI. 4 70.3 with 2 back to back 3 weeks before the IM. Oh.. And It's my first IM and I'm trying for Kona. I going to let the BerryP plan guide my way running.

I wish we had a velodrome and mtb trails near here. But I'll take the lack of traffic and 5 min commute.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: So what stupidity/epicness/overreaches are you planning for 2014? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UlraMan Canada for my 50th Bday. I have a coach who has done UM World Championship a few times to help ensure success.

TEAMFIREFIGHTER.com
STRIVE Omni Sport.com
Get Busy Living - or - Get Busy Dying
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure for others no biggie but definitely overreach for me:

Boston marathon (charity bib first and likely last marathon)
AmZof cwd division - 4 weeks after Boston should be interesting
Tour of the Catskills
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ouachita Challenge, 60 mile mt bike race
and Pikes Peak Ascent half or Leadville marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i had plans to qualify for our national team (via 13 national races) until I realized that my eldest girl is turning 15 next year. now all triathlon money is going towards her quince...

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: So what stupidity/epicness/overreaches are you planning for 2014? [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get to sub 200lb after originally starting at 333lb 2 years ago.

Go sub 12hours at the outlaw iron distance race next year.

Sub 4h15m marathon.

Climb mt vonteux with a mate
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just came back from a six year hiatus three weeks ago but my 2014 plan is to hit a 70.3 event in June and September, do the local rock 'n roll marathon in early November and wrap up the year with a local trail 50k if I'm up to it. After that I will be looking towards an early 2015 season ironman. Right now working the BarryP frequency based running program to get my run back in gear and will be rocking trainer road pretty hard over the winter to build cycling fitness. Nothing too epic - just a solid build year.

- J Palmer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Insidious wrote:
Cool race. Wonder if you can find a few crazy folks to double it with AmZof the next day? Not me......
Thank you very much for the compliment. That double would be sweet!

The Rat Snake:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trying to train and race with a newborn
Quote Reply
Re: So what stupidity/epicness/overreaches are you planning for 2014? [dirtydan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
first of all, congratulations! kids are the best! train when he/she sleeps. Or you may be in for early mornings, late nights. Make sure you have a good indoor trainer and sufferfest videos and if the climate calls for it, warm clothes to run it. Lay off the swim for a bit!! Take the little one as much as you can for brownie points with your significant other!! Have a great time!

The Rat Snake:
Quote Reply
Re: So what stupidity/epicness/overreaches are you planning for 2014? [chunkytfg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chunkytfg wrote:
Get to sub 200lb after originally starting at 333lb 2 years ago.

Go sub 12hours at the outlaw iron distance race next year.

Sub 4h15m marathon.

Climb mt vonteux with a mate
In Reply To:

Outstanding.

The Rat Snake:
Quote Reply
Re: So what stupidity/epicness/overreaches are you planning for 2014? [dforbes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, he's only a couple weeks old and awesome from day 1. Thanks for the tips.
Quote Reply

Prev Next