Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

So What's the ST collective view on Lionel's Win at Augusta70.3
Quote | Reply
Looks like a paid training day to momentarily test out a few items but does not go deep into the well.

He should recovery quickly from that 1:12 half marathon and 3:42 overall time 13 days out from Kona. Hopefully he lightened up on training load before so he's fresher than doing endless Kona bike and run course simulations.

The 2 min deficit swim over 2ish minutes kind of translates to 5 minutes over 50ish minutes. But it was current assisted so I am worried that his gap to equivalent swimmers in Kona would be larger than 5 minutes given he has no current, but ocean swells. On a plus note this was fresh water and Kona is salt water.

@Talbotcox, is Lionel doing the Hola swim in Kona this Saturday?
Quote Reply
Re: So What's the ST collective view on Lionel's Win at Augusta70.3 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I like the guy, but I doubt he harbors any super serious thoughts on winning Kona - I think this race was as you said, a test, but also a pro win with a prize purse attached and a necessary public appearance for sponsors. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Quote Reply
Re: So What's the ST collective view on Lionel's Win at Augusta70.3 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was GREAT to have Lionel at IM 70.3 Augusta. He participated in the Pro panel on Friday and the room was packed. All four of the panel members gave age-group athletes good information and inspiration for the race. Lionel is a class act and I'm always impressed when he speaks at our events. It was also a great race to watch live as he pulled away for the win in the last 2 miles. I'm looking forward to see him race in Kona! Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d say he rode and ran just as fast as he needed to, not to take away from any of the pros there, but it wasn’t exactly an A+ star studded lineup. Watching his videos leading up to the race, sounds like the race worked out to be at the end of a little rest block, and with a few hard days left before the big dance, might as well do a race, keeps the sponsors happy and side benefit of some warm humid weather to get some heat acclimatization in a race setting!

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Looks like a paid training day to momentarily test out a few items but does not go deep into the well.

He should recovery quickly from that 1:12 half marathon and 3:42 overall time 13 days out from Kona. Hopefully he lightened up on training load before so he's fresher than doing endless Kona bike and run course simulations.

The 2 min deficit swim over 2ish minutes kind of translates to 5 minutes over 50ish minutes. But it was current assisted so I am worried that his gap to equivalent swimmers in Kona would be larger than 5 minutes given he has no current, but ocean swells. On a plus note this was fresh water and Kona is salt water.

@Talbotcox, is Lionel doing the Hola swim in Kona this Saturday?

On the other thread, August 70.3 neck-to-neck, someone who did the race stated that the current was much less than previous years, so maybe not as much of a benefit as thought. Non-wetsuite freshwater and only two minutes down, the guy keeps making marginal gains in the pool. Not sure he can make main pack but who knows, with a miracle swim maybe he can. I think his bike is looking REALLY good. If we take the bike ride he did in Tremblant which was EPIC, and he's improved his fitness considerably since then based on his training videos, and his focus has been on IM training, not 70.3 training, I think he can come off the bike at the front, not sure who with. It's his run that is the big question mark, but once again he says he has been focusing on IM training, not 70.3 higher intensity training so maybe runs slower in Kona but with much less of a second half drop-off in speed???

I'm "admitedly" a big fan so my view is biased, but i don't think top 5 is out of the question if he has a good day and is rested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea how hard he went, pulling away towards the end could mean either he went as hard as he needed, or he had to dig deeper than he thought to pull off the win. And he needed to win, especially in that field, so he would have gone over his pre race red line to get that. Imagine he gets 2nd in that field, his Kona hopes of top 5 would be completely gone.

By the way, what does one of the run of the mill 70.3's actually pay to the winning pro these days? Did he make at least $7 to $9k? There of course are bonuses, but all in all, some prize money is nice too. I like him just a bit more though, even if he went harder then he wanted. It was hot, hard course, and he finished it off in a negative split way. All the things you like to see before Kona. Hope he is doing the pre swim race, he needs all the hard OW practice he can get. As I recall, he did ok last year, and then kind of missed the mark on race day..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoa’la swim is Sunday FYI.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Strategically he did what he needed to do to win. On a side note, I stepped out of the elevatorat my hotel and saw a guy with a great Canyon bike. Asked him about his bike and realized it was Lionel. Couldn't have been more cordial and friendly. Yesterday, my wife was leaving the hotel to come find me as I finished up my run. Lionel was leaving the hotel with his wife. Had been back, showered and was heading out. The difference between the pros and the AG'ers…..
Quote Reply
Re: So What's the ST collective view on Lionel's Win at Augusta70.3 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoa’la swim is Sunday FYI//

Are you sure, because we were told they moved it off the Sunday day to Saturday. I hope you are right, as Dan planned his travel to see the Sunday race, and was bummed when he heard it was moved to Saturday..
Quote Reply
Re: So What's the ST collective view on Lionel's Win at Augusta70.3 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Hoa’la swim is Sunday FYI//

Are you sure, because we were told they moved it off the Sunday day to Saturday. I hope you are right, as Dan planned his travel to see the Sunday race, and was bummed when he heard it was moved to Saturday..

Well now I have to go check again. I only signed up because it was on Sunday. I fly in Saturday.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: So What's the ST collective view on Lionel's Win at Augusta70.3 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lol $7k.
If only.

Augusta was a $25 000 purse. $5000 for the win, paying 6 deep.
You can see breakdowns and purses here: https://www.ironman.com/triathlon/organizations/pro-membership/pro-events.aspx

You know what's crazy, a lot of fulls have super small purses. Tremblant, Chattanooga both only $40k purses, with a cute $8k for the win.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: So What's the ST collective view on Lionel's Win at Augusta70.3 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
This shows Sunday...

https://www.ironman.com/...m.aspx#axzz613h619EX

Well, I arrive around 6 hours after this event ends...dammit. Back to the topic at hand. I wonder how hard he went on that run to do the 1:12. Was it totally easy cruise or did he have to redline a bit for the win? 1:12 is still a reasonable pace. Kienle ran 1:10 at Nice. If the courses are accurate, its not like he had to go to the well , but he still ran fast enough to get within 2 min of Kienle's split and does his base support the recovery off that 1:12. I hope it is.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Sep 30, 19 17:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like the weather was quite hot and sticky. I think it makes it look good for kona.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
stevej wrote:
This shows Sunday...

Well, I arrive around 6 hours after this event ends...dammit. Back to the topic at hand. I wonder how hard he went on that run to do the 1:12. Was it totally easy cruise or did he have to redline a bit for the win? 1:12 is still a reasonable pace. Kienle ran 1:10 at Nice. If the courses are accurate, its not like he had to go to the well , but he still ran fast enough to get within 2 min of Kienle's split and does his base support the recovery off that 1:12. I hope it is.

He said post race the run was more laborious than he'd have hoped for, for a 1:12 🤷‍♂️
Between his swim deficit and his run breaking down recently in Kona, I have a hard time being convinced he'll break the top ten. I'd love to see it, but I have doubts. I think an 11-15 place finish is more likely.
Quote Reply
Re: So What's the ST collective view on Lionel's Win at Augusta70.3 [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JBell wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
stevej wrote:
This shows Sunday...

He said post race the run was more laborious than he'd have hoped for, for a 1:12 🤷‍♂️
Between his swim deficit and his run breaking down recently in Kona, I have a hard time being convinced he'll break the top ten. I'd love to see it, but I have doubts. I think an 11-15 place finish is more likely.

Places 11-15 are all pre assigned to Daniela Ryf. You either finish in 10th in front of her or go to the back of the line!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Oct 1, 19 6:47
Quote Reply