Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

So I came back from the Ortho (smartasscoach you were right)
Quote | Reply
This wasn't what I expected.

First thing when I got there he told me to take off my shoes and socks. Immediatly he said 'you have pretty high arches combined with flat feet, which generally causes strain on the muscles here [and he pointed to exactly where I've been having pains]. He that the above ment I only got around 40% traction on the ground, while normal people get around 70%. Weird.

He recommended I delay my volume a little bit, and stick with shorter 7-9k runs for a while. I should also start strengthening the muscles around the knee/quadriceps. He mentioned that when you run, a big cause for injuries is that your cardiovascular system doesn't get tired, but the muscles do, and then they start transfering the load to the ligements, which in exchange causes injuries.

Finally he recommended I use motion-control shoes, and he pointed out the Brooks Adrenaline (although I'm not sure that's a MC shoe). I've used this shoe in the past, and I switched because I thought it gave me knee pains (hopefully it won't this time around).

Anyway smartasscoach was right, gotta give him that.

Meh I guess I'll be doing more swimming than I expected (atleast until the end of January/mid February).
Quote Reply
Re: So I came back from the Ortho (smartasscoach you were right) [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Brooks Adrenaline is not nominally a motion control shoe. It's considered a "stability" shoe which is kind of halfway in between a MC shoe and neutral shoe. I'm a moderately severe over-pronator and moved to the Adrenaline because I couldn't find a motion control shoe with high enough arches. I combined my orthotics with the Adrenaline and have had no knee problems since. Sounds like your Ortho knows his stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: So I came back from the Ortho (smartasscoach you were right) [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah he's in my Tri club too. He said he didn't think I needed [forgot what you call the things you put in the shoes], because most of my problems were 'little' things (knees slightly angled in, knee caps also slightly moved to the inside too, high arches+flat feet etc etc) which could be solved through the right shoe and strengthening. Also when you get those things to put in the shoe, you can't be sure you'll get the exact same ones next time (plus they are expensive to make if you want to get it tailored to your foot).
Quote Reply
Re: So I came back from the Ortho (smartasscoach you were right) [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was the problem?

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he recommended Brooks Adrenaline, maybe the Aisics Kayano would be another to try. If I'm not mistaken, they are supposedly designed to attempt to do the same thing. I've tried them both, and the Aisics seem to do better for me. (I hope I'm not confusing this Brooks shoe with another one in their line.)

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: So I came back from the Ortho (smartasscoach you were right) [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah he mentioned a few companies. I think I'm gonna go try the Asics, because I went for a run today with the Adrenaline and they aggravated the pain just the same as the NB and my other shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being the smartass(coach) that I am, I had to post just to say I TOLD YOU SO! ;-)

Seriously, looks like your ortho really knows his stuff and is used to work with athletes, so next time you should first check with him and only then with the forum here :-)

My favorite MC shoe is the Asics 20-something, it's the 2080 now? Anyway, it's a pretty good shoe, but my guess is that you'll be ok with a stability shoe with pronation control, like the 1080. Pure MC shoes will feel a bit clunckier for a runner as light as you.

And more swimming can't be bad for you! Are you around 25-30k a week yet?

Paulo

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
smartasscoach is da man!!! :-) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sergio Marques

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Re: So I came back from the Ortho (smartasscoach you were right) [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few things.

First I looked in the Asics website, and they don't have a 1080, but a 1090. Would that be the same?

Second I wish I was at 25-30k, but I've only had time to go to the pool twice since December 12th. We had two weeks completely off, then resumed training. Last week I've only managed to go Sunday, and this week same thing (although I do have a swim practice tonight).

Anyway, where you are from smartasscoach? I recall you said something about one or two of your athletes being in the European Champs, so I'm guessing you're not from the US?

Anyway I'll probably have to talk to my coach about changing my peaking plan. My team has our first peak in early May, second one in mid September, and the final one in early December.

Because my ortho said I should really work on strengthening the muscles for most of the early season, even before building volume, I'll probably only get into running more in early/mid February. I'm thinking of completley skipping the first peak and spending more time building an aerobic base (which I didn't get to do last season).

Wutcha think?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been wearing custom orthodics since I was 12. As a kid, I had a similar problem to yours and many othepedists were confounded by what to do for me. They mostly just told me to "stay off your feet." How do you tell an energetic kid to stay off of his feet??? Well that answer didn't work for me so my parents finally took me to a podiatrist and he hooked me up. He made casts of my feet and a few weeks later I had custom inserts. I've replaced my inserts a number of times and haven't had any biomechanical issues since wearing them (13 years later). When I started cycling I didn't wear the orthodics in my bike shoes. Big mistake. My knees immediately protested. Prolonged walking or standing without these little miracles will lead me back to pain. I wear them in every shoe I wear (including bike shoes now).

High arches combined with flat feet (not sure how that's possible...) sounds like the perfect candidate for orthodics. Why search for the right shoe to solve your problem when you can create a support structure that precisely solves the problem of YOUR foot. Shoes are designed to solve problems a certain segment of the running population has. With orthodics which shoe you run in is not as important of a consideration. You can run in any shoe that's the correct size and has the proper cushioning and durability for the length of running you'll be doing. I'm not trying to question your doctors advice because he obviously knows more than me, I'm just relating my experience. I'd say if anyone has any biomechanical issues starting with the feet - perhaps orthodics are the answer. They take a little while to get used to, but once you have, they are unbelievable. Lydiard would disagree with me so I'm aware that this is just my (somewhat unsupported) opinion.

Ken
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the 1090 is this year's model, I figure they won't be much different than previous years. But you should see if they're good for you first, go to a good run shop that sells more than 2-3 brands and try several models out.

And no, I'm not in the US :-) If you click on the smartasscoach link on the left you'll see where I am, I'm one of the few here who use their real name and location. I've had one junior and one elite competing at the European Championships and I also have one IM athlete and one U-23 duathlete, talk about individualization :-)

Anyway, I've told you my opinion before, I think your total focus should be on swimming right now. The main goal would be to get on a swim team or swim with a team 3-4 times a week and then do some workouts on your own.

You also should get a triathlon coach. Not one of those $350 a month wannabes, but a serious coach that would like to work with a motivated athlete for a long time. From my personal experience, it is very rewarding for a coach to be able to follow a young athlete throughtout the years.

Paulo

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply