Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
I believe they are adjustable by changing out the extension tips or just cutting them down.

Yes. But you don't want to go too short or your compromising your hand position.
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
gmh39 wrote:
I believe they are adjustable by changing out the extension tips or just cutting them down.

Yes. But you don't want to go too short or your compromising your hand position.

Thanks for the shout out!! Yeah, we're pretty excited to get them out to the masses.

The distance from the center of the stem to the end of the bar without extensions is 19 cm (7.5"). From there, the extensions are added. The extensions sold will likely be 15cm (6") long but can be cut down to length. The bike in the photos has 3.5" extensions bringing the distance to 11". If the bar ends are too far out, it is always possible to put in a shorter stem as well. My 10 year old has ridden our 48 cm P2C, but it isn't optimized for her:). If you have a specific set up you would like us to take a look at, send me an email with dims and a pic and I'll be happy to look at it. support@morf-tech.com

Thanks!!
Frank
www.morf-tech.com

Thanks,
Frank

http://www.morf-tech.com
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I'm very, very tempted.

However, I've two concerns standing in my way:
  1. What if I'm not allowed to race with these? They are WTC and USAT approved, but I'll be doing local triathlons and duathlons too. I've no idea if local race officials will allow them or if they're likely to say "What's that? I've never seen those before and they look dangerous. You can't use that bike."
  2. It's normally my policy to hold off on expensive or safety related stuff until it's been well used by others and has a track record. The price is reasonable but still a significant chunk of money and it's certainly safety related. On the other hand, I'm pretty confident Frank has done competent design work here and the risk is low.

I've little doubt this is the way to go for Tri bikes in the future. The question is whether to jump now! I'd certainly like to.

1 - Approvals - I completely understand your concern. We have discussed with the ITU technical committee. They are good with it in principle but want to see the ISO testing before sending in the final approval. We are working to have ISO testing complete this month. We won't go out for final sale until that testing is complete and successful.
2 - Thanks for the vote of confidence. We won't release for final sale until we know it is right. But again, I completely understand your concern.

Thanks everyone again for your fantastic support. What a wild ride it has been:)
Thanks,
Frank

Thanks,
Frank

Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [Frank-S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank,

Are there any drawings or tables available showing the various dimensions of the cockpit?
I'm riding a Felt IA14, the stock stem can't be flipped and there are not many alternatives if angle or length changes are needed. Therefore I need to get a good idea where the MORF will put the contact points relative to the stem bar clamp. Otherwise I don't know if I'll still be able to get a good fit. I use pretty long extensioons (400mm) so one newly realised concern is that I might not be able to stretch out as much as I need.
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Frank,

Are there any drawings or tables available showing the various dimensions of the cockpit?
I'm riding a Felt IA14, the stock stem can't be flipped and there are not many alternatives if angle or length changes are needed. Therefore I need to get a good idea where the MORF will put the contact points relative to the stem bar clamp. Otherwise I don't know if I'll still be able to get a good fit. I use pretty long extensioons (400mm) so one newly realised concern is that I might not be able to stretch out as much as I need.

We are still working some of those details out. This has become a common question so I need to get more info on the site. For your specific application, it would help to see a pic of your set up so I can get an idea of what a solution might be. If you are trying to figure it out, others will be as well. If there is something we need to do in the design to solve these problems, we'll do everything we can. Send me an email at support@morf-tech.com with pics and we'll figure it out.
Thanks!
Frank
http://Www.morf-tech.com

Thanks,
Frank

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't figure out how the brake cables are routed from the pictures on the site.
I have a slammed stem with a short head tube and centre mount front brake, which makes it almost impossible to use the internal routing of my current aero bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I can't figure out how the brake cables are routed from the pictures on the site.
I have a slammed stem with a short head tube and centre mount front brake, which makes it almost impossible to use the internal routing of my current aero bars.

The cables are secured to the bars just outside the stem on the center bottom section of the bars and routed around the stem. I am adding an additional cable support bracket that will help accommodate and simplify that. Depending on how short your stem is and if your stem extends past the front of the bike will depend on how the cable is routed. Send me a pic of your set up and we'll figure it out.

Thanks,
Frank

Thanks,
Frank

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frank,

One question I have is, once in the aero position, do you need to use any kind of strength to keep the bars together? The reason I ask is, in some races, when you start to fatigue and your form starts to fall off a bit, the last thing you want to do is exert energy elsewhere.

I love the concept of these bars.
Last edited by: d00d: Feb 7, 17 11:12
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My (admittedly brief) experience with the bars indicates that you do not. Your weight on the elbow pads and the fact that you're gripping the ends of the bars basically locks them in place with no effort. It's hard to describe. That said I haven't ridden them over a surface like chipseal yet.
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
My (admittedly brief) experience with the bars indicates that you do not. Your weight on the elbow pads and the fact that you're gripping the ends of the bars basically locks them in place with no effort. It's hard to describe. That said I haven't ridden them over a surface like chipseal yet.

Thanks for the input...I was just wondering how they'd feel towards the end of an IM bike...I'd hate to have to "squish" them together for that long. I guess you could interlock fingers, which I kind of do anyways.
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

What if the bars were angled up? I wonder if gravity might want to pull them back...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

What if the bars were angled up? I wonder if gravity might want to pull them back...

There are no forces trying to open them back up when in aero. You don't need to apply any pressure on them to keep them closed. I did IMFL with them without issue. Great question!
Thanks
Frank

Thanks,
Frank

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Thanks for the input...I was just wondering how they'd feel towards the end of an IM bike...I'd hate to have to "squish" them together for that long. I guess you could interlock fingers, which I kind of do anyways.

No no, nothing like that. Sheesh, that would be a nightmare. It's hard to describe. The first time I used them I expected them to lock out at the front. When they didn't I thought "well I'm going to have to hold them there that seems dicey and unstable" but the reality is you don't. It actually takes a fairly deliberate motion to bring them back to the base bar position. You almost have to pull the handles apart while sitting up. The whole thing is very natural.

To be honest, this is one of those products you really have to try first hand to fully "get it".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Nope, super stable in a Mantis position. When I first tried them the bars were probably angled at least 35 degrees up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a few questions regarding the pre-sale pic.

Do you have to add all levers (gears and brakes)?
I see that bar ends are included. Will all aero bars work? I have a P2. Can I just take those bars and add them to this setup?
Does the popsicle mount work on all standard BTA setups, such as Torhans Aero 20/30?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt the Aero 20/30 will work with the standard mount. Frank would likely have to make a custom mount for those. The systems that will work are those that use a standard water bottle cage (Speedfil, XLab, etc).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
I have a few questions regarding the pre-sale pic.

Do you have to add all levers (gears and brakes)?
I see that bar ends are included. Will all aero bars work? I have a P2. Can I just take those bars and add them to this setup?
Does the popsicle mount work on all standard BTA setups, such as Torhans Aero 20/30?

Thanks!

Gear shifters are not included but any mechanical or electronic shifters can be used. Brake levers that can accommodate mechanical shifters are available. I am currently working on the final design changes that incorporate the brake lever into the bar assembly, more info to follow. If that design tests ok, they will be included in the presale.

Popsicle stick uses the typical bottle cage type BTA's. I really like the TorHans bottle so I will make an adapter for it as well but haven't gotten to it just yet.

If you want to use a different aero bar, could be used, but would likely need to be cut. The bar tubes that we are using are 7/8", 0.060" wall. I would be happy to look at your particular arrangement in detail.

Thanks!!
Frank

Thanks,
Frank

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did not see this question, but any testing on how the continuous bending of the cables (Shifting/braking) going between the positions may be causing extra wear and tear and possibly also affecting how well the cables move in their housing because of that.
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great question. The first prototype I put 2500 miles on. It didn't have smooth corners and I saw some wear on the jacket. It didn't affect cable actuation, but needed to be fixed. One of the production unit changes is fixing that by incorporating better cable securing. During our upcoming cycle testing, we will include cables to make sure we address it.

Thanks!
Frank

Thanks,
Frank

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interested in your product, but only with the conventional road style horns, to put on my S5 (and make it a versatile road or tri bike).

I have a couple of questions:

When do you think this option may be available (I understand it's not with the current pre-sale)?
Can this be then used with any conventional brakes (I have SRAM Force brakes on my S5 currently) or only the bull horn bar style brakes as featured on your website?

Thanks in advance, cheers,
Laurent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, what would the range of stack adjustment?
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the road bar attachment, I don't have an estimated time just yet. I need to procure a mandrel type bender that can bend tight radii. We are working hard on the finalized design and testing of the production unit right now but I would image we could have it available this summer. Will keep all posted!

For stack height, currently 25mm but we are looking at options to increase that. Stack height can also be adjusted by running different stem with a higher angle.

Thanks!
Frank

Thanks,
Frank

Quote Reply

Prev Next