Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been asking for years and years for someone to come up with an aero drop bars with an integrated aerobar but these are something that take that request to the next level.

If they can make the tops just a bit wider and get rid of the arm rest mounts and just have the armrests bolt right onto the top of the bars on the wider tops, you could bolt on some small armrests or just tape the tops. Sometimes less is more.

These are extremely interesting and with the drop option like others have said you can just to the lever tops as your hand position in the aero position and just pull them back for normal riding. The more I see these the better they look.
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
I would bet they are. I like these for a very aero set of levers and some blips. Very clean set up. Di2 brake levers would really clean this up as well. Mechanical looks the worst of the three to be honest

I can confirm that they are Di2 compatible.

Something I was pushing Frank to do was consider a version with with one of these brake levers installed so that you could modulate the brakes with just your index finger (like you would on a mountain bike).
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [Frank-S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank-S wrote:
Funny thing, we will be Tuscon January 16th with 3 bikes on our way up to the IBD Summit in Pheonix January 17-19. Any and all in the area are welcome to give them a try. If there is enough interest, we could set up somewhere for folks to stop by in both cities. Let me know if that would be worth while!

Thanks,
Frank

desert dude wrote:
Quote:
Over/under on 5w. I'll take the under :)

I'm in for the over.

andhHey I even know someone who can test it ;-)

This one's easy. I had essentially this setup about 12 years ago:

It saved over 5 watts. IIRC, Andy did something similar, even longer ago and saw roughly the same savings.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just rode them with Frank (the inventor) near my house, on wet streets, in the dark under occasional streetlights - pretty much the worst conditions you would want to be in aerobars. I was shocked at how solid they felt. It's seriously impressive. And they work!

I have to run to a meeting, so here's links to a couple pics I posted on Instagram. Be back in a bit -

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPNQ0cjAYcE/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPNF61tgxxG/

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this has been answered yet - will there be internal cable routing?

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:

Right now there are zip tie holes that secure the cables to the bottom of the bar nice an tidy. We are working on another means that is psuedo internal. Will post pics when we get the bars modified with the feature.
Thanks,
Frank
http://www.morf-tech.com

Thanks,
Frank

Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:

It wasn't on these. But you could easily zip-tie them in place if you wanted.

The upside of the current design is you can remove the handles completely off the bars. That allows you to run whatever handles, brake levers, and shifters you want. Since they don't run through the bars, the bars don't care what you use. Sure, you get a couple of exposed cables when they are folded out to the sides, but it doesn't matter because you are sitting upright anyway.

If these were on the market, I'd put them on my road bike for sure. I love the bullhorn look when you're just cruising. And then you want to go aero, just snap them forward.

There's also a simplicity/minimalist thing about them. You get both types of bars in one, but the other type is always missing at the moment. It made the bike look and feel lighter and more elegant to not have as much junk hanging off the front end like a triceratops.

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Jan 13, 17 9:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see these being big on the track when you are starting to wind up your speed you have them in the bull horn position and then when you are up to speed just snap them into aero and you do not have the basebar any longer. More aero.
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was also surprised when I didn't feel scared being in aero without a base bar to escape to. Because you have the brake levers right there in your hands, you can scrub speed without having to let go of your bars to get to other bars. Honestly, I think they could be safer than standard aerobars. We were riding downhill on wet pavement into intersections and I always had the same brake levers in my hands, no matter where my hands were. It was a bit surreal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love to set these up on a pair of bars to try out but I am up in Canada.

I have run an aero or die set up in the past and it was fine and I was never worried. Vision aero levers worked great in such an application and minimal frontal exposure.
Last edited by: BMANX: Jan 13, 17 10:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
I was also surprised when I didn't feel scared being in aero without a base bar to escape to. Because you have the brake levers right there in your hands, you can scrub speed without having to let go of your bars to get to other bars. Honestly, I think they could be safer than standard aerobars. We were riding downhill on wet pavement into intersections and I always had the same brake levers in my hands, no matter where my hands were. It was a bit surreal.

I agree with you regarding safer.

Just wait until you have to ride your normal tri bike for a few weeks post-MORF like me. You'll have a moment where you say to yourself "this is bullsh** I want that MORF bar back." Lol.
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:

I agree with you regarding safer.

Just wait until you have to ride your normal tri bike for a few weeks post-MORF like me. You'll have a moment where you say to yourself "this is bullsh** I want that MORF bar back." Lol.

Yeah, and I keep thinking about how this opens up the world of road bikes for me again. I don't want to ride my nice road bike because it doesn't have aerobars. Knowing how much faster aerobars are, it drives me crazy to ride a regular road bike without them into any kind of wind. But I also don't want to slap goofy looking clip-ons on my nice road bike and look like I'm trying to crochet spaghetti at 18 mph. These bars look cool and would weigh less and get me aero whenever I wanted.

If these take off as a popular product, I could see them being utilized by nearly all road bikes at all prices. They just worked. And they aren't that complicated, far less so than gearing and shifting mechanisms that come on most bikes already.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be cool if you could change from drop to tri extensions on the same bike for the perfect tweener. Brake levers/ shifters would probably make this too difficult though.
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [Anachronism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

With Etap you probably could.

Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there any rules about changing or modifying equipment during a race? Of course changing bikes is legal, but I'm thinking about golf where it is prohibited to alter your clubs during a round. Anything like that in cycling that could interfere with using these?

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are not technically modifying anything other than your position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tucson peeps - if anyone wants to try this out, I am meeting Frank in the 4th Avenue parking lot of Mansfield park at 6:30pm tomorrow.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How was it?

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome :-D
i started a review but got distracted by work, will post it later tonite

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you guys for stopping on your way thru Tucson!

I got to try out this handlebar last night for a few rounds in a parking lot and my first impressions were WOW, AWESOME.

Positive thoughts (mostly):
Learning curve is seconds. It is super intuitive and very easy to learn to use. It is much safer than a traditional tri/tt-cockpit setup.

This bar would be great for anyone who is a bit jittery about their bike handling skills or new to riding, or just doesn't like the idea of not having brakes at the fingertips at all times. I'd let my kids ride this thin.

It could also help those folks who cannot afford (or do not want to) have multiple bikes - a dedicated tri bike and road bike, but like both and like to go on group rides - you may still get some nasty looks from your roadie comrades, but once you get into aero at the front of the pace line and take off, they will be green with jealousy!

Drawbacks:
the bar operates with brake cables looping around inside that could brake, fray, lengthen over time, requiring maintenance, and it doesn't sound like this is very easy to do based on my quick peak at it. Someone with limited bike mechanic skills may be discouraged to own something that complex.
The cables that pull the joint result in quite a bit of friction to operate the bars, which was noticeable when just playing with it off the bike, but was not noticeable so much while riding, and it may even be preferable.
It is not for weight weenies in its current form, the thing is solid, but quite heavy compared to a good CF cockpit.

Overall I think it is a great invention, and is something truly new in bicycling technology that we have not seen in a while. It will be interesting to see the different bar end attachments (bullhorn, ski tip) that will make this bar quite versatile, and to see what a potentially compromised position between aero and basebar positions for both road and tri/tt applications this bar will allow.

Overall, I liked it a lot, and it was very easy to ride it.

Frank-S wrote:
Funny thing, we will be Tuscon January 16th with 3 bikes on our way up to the IBD Summit in Pheonix January 17-19. Any and all in the area are welcome to give them a try. If there is enough interest, we could set up somewhere for folks to stop by in both cities. Let me know if that would be worth while!

Thanks,
Frank

desert dude wrote:
Quote:
Over/under on 5w. I'll take the under :)

I'm in for the over.

andhHey I even know someone who can test it ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Driving home today I noticed a bike on top of a car next to me with "MORF-Tech" on the downtube. I didn't realize they were based in my area. From the short look I got they looked pretty sweet, hopefully I'll get a chance to ride them someday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frank-S wrote:

Thanks,
Frank

Did anyone else get a chance to ride the MORF bars? Reviews?
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [balsdorf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
balsdorf wrote:
Driving home today I noticed a bike on top of a car next to me with "MORF-Tech" on the downtube. I didn't realize they were based in my area. From the short look I got they looked pretty sweet, hopefully I'll get a chance to ride them someday.

Send us an email at support@morf-tech.com and we can arrange a test ride! Looking for any and all feedback.
Thanks!!
Frank

Thanks,
Frank

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
balsdorf wrote:

They were taking the bike back from me.All my thoughts with video on the way...

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
balsdorf wrote:

I'll have a prototype and some preliminary aero data soon enough for everyone :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next