Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [Frank-S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks so amazingly smooth getting in and out of aero.

If anyone goes along could you take video or pictures? I'd love to see more.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm getting seriously interested in these. I need new bars this season.

One thing I don't understand is how you change the reach?
Will you offer different lengths of base bar or bull horn?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frank,

What kind of maintenance is needed for these bars? Are the cables user serviceable? Do they use a standard size cable (ie. brake or shifter cables)?

It looks like there are a bunch of exposed cables for the linkages and what not. How susceptible are those to rust from the elements, sweat, etc.?

I'm really excited for these and am looking forward to the pre-order opening up.

-Greg

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will you be at TruTri sports all day or just between certain times?
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
It looks so amazingly smooth getting in and out of aero.

If anyone goes along could you take video or pictures? I'd love to see more.

It is. I'm supposed to get a prototype sometime late February/early March and I'm literally looking forward to that day like a little kid looking forward to Christmas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the design and look forward to the future evolution of your product.
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
Frank,

What kind of maintenance is needed for these bars? Are the cables user serviceable? Do they use a standard size cable (ie. brake or shifter cables)?

It looks like there are a bunch of exposed cables for the linkages and what not. How susceptible are those to rust from the elements, sweat, etc.?

I'm really excited for these and am looking forward to the pre-order opening up.

-Greg

As someone who's seen it and ridden it in person, this is my single biggest concern. I'm not saying I *am* concerned but it's the only question mark on the design for me.

I believe he was using standard brake cables.

A simple vinyl wrap would reduce the exposure of the cables by about 95% and I could see some minor design changes that would allow for the cables to be fully enclosed/shielded.
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

Carbon fiber is a wonderful material for many, many applications. However it's not universally "better", despite public perception. Yes, for plenty applications it does permit more design flexibility, weight reductions, etc, but that doesn't mean anything not made of carbon is inferior or missing a trick. I'd sooner have something well engineered in aluminium alloy, steel or titanium, than half-assed in carbon any day.

As a design engineer, I say you're spot on...if only more people would apply this to the concept of bicycle rims NEEDING to be made out of a single material too :-/

Just sprinkle some graphene on it...

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lot's of great feedback and questions - THANKS!!!

Change in Reach - The way the bars are constructed, you can put any length / style bar end you want on them. The video has short straights, but you could put longer straights, 30 deg, 40 deg, etc ski bends, bull horns, etc. We are putting a couple of bikes together with different bar ends, I'll update the site with pics. You can also adjust reach by adjusting stem length, lots of options there.

Maintenance - We are running ISO tests as well as testing tests outside ISO4210. During that test we will be measuring wear, cable stretch, etc. Contamination is a really good point, we will add to that test infusing contamination and salty water to the joints directly to see the type of wear we would see. We are using standard brake and shifter cables from Shimano. If the cables need to be replaced, it can be done, the only tools needed are a 4th hand tool and allen wrench. We'll put videos on YouTube on how to adjust tension or replace cables.

TruTri Schedule - We will be there all day this Friday. TruTri is having a grand opening of their new store. Stop by and ask for Frank or Greg.

Presale Date - We are stilling working hard to be in presale this month.

Thanks again for all the great feedback!!!!
Frank
www.morf-tech.com

Thanks,
Frank

http://www.morf-tech.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To save an email: you might consider meloniting the steel pins. It's an amazing surface treatment and it's pretty cheap to do in large batches. Between anodized aluminum and melonited steel corrosion should be a non-issue for everything but the cables. I don't really have any ideas as to how do deal with that other than sealing and adding grease (seal with a vinyl wrap, use heavy grease that's unlikely to migrate).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frank-S wrote:

Change in Reach - The way the bars are constructed, you can put any length / style bar end you want on them. The video has short straights, but you could put longer straights, 30 deg, 40 deg, etc ski bends, bull horns, etc. We are putting a couple of bikes together with different bar ends, I'll update the site with pics. You can also adjust reach by adjusting stem length, lots of options there.

Drops (i.e. road bike "hooks")?

If so, they might become a road bike racing (or draft legal tri) "breakaway" must-have ;-)

edit: never mind, I just saw the pic on your website :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Jan 11, 17 9:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you could make the tops a little larger and flat you could potentially have the armrests bolt direct to the tops and in regards to using them with drops you could then just tape that area to be used with no armrest while racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Frank-S wrote:

If so, they might become a road bike racing (or draft legal tri) "breakaway" must-have ;-)

I don't know why but that's really appealing to me. I bet the penalty for the drops is really low in the aero position. Might actually be an aero benefit, ha!
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Frank-S wrote:

I don't know why but that's really appealing to me. I bet the penalty for the drops is really low in the aero position. Might actually be an aero benefit, ha!

It would give you the "inner" position (plus a bit more reach) afforded by Scott "Rake" bar accessories, but without the extra drops/levers hanging out in the wind :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I LOVEDmy Scott Rakes back in the day (and even preceded them to some degree by using Ontario bar ends on my drops, angling forward). I could get damn low and narrow with them....but lots of people had stability issues with them, speed wobbles, etc.

Dunno I'd want to be riding with a bunch of people using a more-bar equivalent....

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
I LOVEDmy Scott Rakes back in the day (and even preceded them to some degree by using Ontario bar ends on my drops, angling forward). I could get damn low and narrow with them....but lots of people had stability issues with them, speed wobbles, etc.

Dunno I'd want to be riding with a bunch of people using a more-bar equivalent....

No reason to engage the narrow position when still in the group...and with not needing to take your hands off the bars (and away from the brakes) to go between positions, you just engage it when you rotate to the front of the breakaway, disengage when you rotate back :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, I understand how to ride 'em....it is all the other bozos around me that cause my scphincter to pucker up just a wee bit tight.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I personally rode Frank's bike last week to test ride the bars, and I LOVED them. The functional adaption process in both my mind and arms was very quick to learn and took about 1 minute to get comfortable with. Absolutely no issues getting into and out of aero position. It's a very intuitive motion, and it just seems to "flow" quite easily and securely.

After my test ride, Frank and I spent a good amount of time discussing the bars, their mechanics, and perspective from an athlete/Ironman racer. Frank was very in-tune with everything I suggested, and also in answering any of my concerns about the bars.

I am looking forward to going out on some longer test rides with Frank and really put the bars to some more real-street testing.

If I can answer any questions or provide further description on my impression of the bars, please ask.

I left by telling Frank that I think he has a great product in the works, and that I definitely want it.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Fascinating these and potentially a real game-changer. I'd be very interested in a set of these, I would want to know if they are compatible with the Di2 brakes please?
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [esox.flucius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would bet they are. I like these for a very aero set of levers and some blips. Very clean set up. Di2 brake levers would really clean this up as well. Mechanical looks the worst of the three to be honest
Last edited by: BMANX: Jan 11, 17 15:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a setup with road bike drops, I don't quite see how that works with shifting while you are in aero. Your hands would sort of be on the hoods, but at a weird angle.
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on what shifting option you are using. You could tailor this to work very well with the right system.
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Depends on what shifting option you are using. You could tailor this to work very well with the right system.

...or, you just keep your hands in the drops ;-)

That said, if your hands are on the hoods, it's pretty easy to shift (and lightly brake) anyway...

The real question is if the USAC officials would let you race with it :-)

edit: Looks like USAC rule 1i1d might be a "sticking point":

Looks like the closest you could bring the drops together is 25cm...

Last edited by: Tom A.: Jan 11, 17 16:15
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
For a setup with road bike drops, I don't quite see how that works with shifting while you are in aero. Your hands would sort of be on the hoods, but at a weird angle.

The hoods would function like ski bend extensions.

I don't really see too many people using the drop bar option. I think they just wanted to show that any type of bar extension would work.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: So I Just Rode the MORF-Tech Aerobar... [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about a technical race like Alcatraz or Norseman or a road cycling soloist.
Quote Reply

Prev Next