Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Smith Ignite vs. Podium TT
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any experience with the Podium TT helmet vs. the new Ignite? Smith claims the Ignite is faster than the Podium TT (see Aerogeeks review and Smith's chart here:https://i2.wp.com/...df__page_2_of_4_.png.) I am looking to replace my Aerohead which just doesn't work for me and I was going to try the Podium since it looks like a similar design but now I'm curious if Smith's new aero road helmet is a better way to go. Can't find a ton of info on the Ignite other than Aerogeeks and a few others and just wanted to check if someone has ridden both helmets. Thanks.

Quote | Reply
Who does a 25 mph 40k tt on 200 watts? Or rides at 27 mph for an ironman off of 250W? Probably irrelevant but the chart seems a little weird
Quote Reply
Re: Smith Ignite vs. Podium TT [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Who does a 25 mph 40k tt on 200 watts?

This guy. ðŸ˜

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Mar 21, 19 6:06
Quote Reply
Re: Smith Ignite vs. Podium TT [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:
I am looking to replace my Aerohead which just doesn't work for me

What doesn't work? Weight? Temperature? FOV?

I'm not on this bandwagon of going road aero vs pure aero. But if weight is the concern you might look at the POC Cerebel. It's lighter, has an amazing FOV, and while it can get hot when it is hot out, it's by no means an oven.

Something to consider. The way most road lids are made the brow will get in your line of sight if you have a low head position. This means that even if you have rimless glasses that you'll be holding a higher head position to see the same distance up the road compared to the POC and others like it (e.g. Aerohead). It is more likely than not that holding your head higher in the wind will be slower in terms of CdA.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Smith Ignite vs. Podium TT [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cannot answer your question but I would be interested in an independent comparison too. The Ignite looks like a great helmet to take to Kona over a traditional aero lid - if its as fast (if not faster?).

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Smith Ignite vs. Podium TT [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you even aero bro? ;) A good CdA gets you there.
Last edited by: turdburgler: Mar 21, 19 6:38
Quote Reply
Re: Smith Ignite vs. Podium TT [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are some sick numbers, are you a small/light rider? What was the temperature/wind when doing this ride?
I needed 219w avg in Eagleman (I'm excluding the Cambridge part to make the course similar) to get and average of 24.4 mph. So 26 watts more and 1 mph slower :(

LAI wrote:

This guy. ðŸ˜

Quote Reply
Re: Smith Ignite vs. Podium TT [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
These are some sick numbers, are you a small/light rider? What was the temperature/wind when doing this ride?

I needed 219w avg in Eagleman (I'm excluding the Cambridge part to make the course similar) to get and average of 24.4 mph. So 26 watts more and 1 mph slower :(

Do you not ST, bro? ;)

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...._P6870513/#p6870513

Yeah, I'm small and conditions might have been favorable, but out of what I have on display on STRAVA I'm pretty efficient out at Cambridge.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
Yeah, I'm small and conditions might have been favorable, but out of what I have on display on STRAVA I'm pretty efficient out at Cambridge.

Knowing and seeing LAI TT makes the bold the understatement of the year IMO....and there is nothing favorable on the backside pavement conditions there which makes your 'pretty efficient' all that more impressive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
Do you not ST, bro? ;)

If I read every ST post about aero position I would lose my job, family and fitness. there's not enough time in the day for that ;)
Seriously though, these are great numbers and very good thread
Quote Reply
Re: Smith Ignite vs. Podium TT [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, for sure. Only so much time in the day and ST should be low on the priority list. It was meant more as a funny lead into linking the thread. That being said, I'm glad you liked the thread and my numbers, but the power is the side of the equation I am working hardest at. Really need to get back to my ~240 numbers....shoot, my best of 257 would be just great, too!

dgutstadt wrote:
LAI wrote:
Do you not ST, bro? ;)

If I read every ST post about aero position I would lose my job, family and fitness. there's not enough time in the day for that ;)
Seriously though, these are great numbers and very good thread

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Smith Ignite vs. Podium TT [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clearly not. Although I put out more than enough power to make up for it. Anyway, I wasn't really trying to derail the thread, i just thought those numbers looked kinda strange
Quote Reply
Re: Smith Ignite vs. Podium TT [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
I would be interested in an independent comparison too. The Ignite looks like a great helmet to take to Kona over a traditional aero lid - if its as fast (if not faster?).

I can answer that question May 8, 9 or 14th. You send me the helmets and cover the testing costs I'll run the tests. Figure it'll take 15-20 min.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Mar 21, 19 9:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
gregtay wrote:
I am looking to replace my Aerohead which just doesn't work for me

What doesn't work? Weight? Temperature? FOV?

I'm not on this bandwagon of going road aero vs pure aero. But if weight is the concern you might look at the POC Cerebel. It's lighter, has an amazing FOV, and while it can get hot when it is hot out, it's by no means an oven.

Something to consider. The way most road lids are made the brow will get in your line of sight if you have a low head position. This means that even if you have rimless glasses that you'll be holding a higher head position to see the same distance up the road compared to the POC and others like it (e.g. Aerohead). It is more likely than not that holding your head higher in the wind will be slower in terms of CdA.

Weight was a big factor but mainly it was the only helmet I have ever raced in which I just "wanted it off my head as quickly as possible" during the race. I usually don't even think about my helmet but for some reason each race in the aerohead I was consumed by thinkign about the thing on my head. I think it was partly the weight (I could feel it up there) and I also found that when breathign hard the lower lip of the shield seemed to catch the air as I exhaled which was 1) loud and 2) (likley jsut in my head) made me feel like I wasn't getting enough fresh air stream over my mouth. (again.. I am sure it was just in my head but it happened all three times I raced in the thing so I gave up.) I like how it fits but just not works the anxiety it causes (even if just in my head!)

I'm also not sold on the "aero road > "full aero" helmet... I have a hard time believing they cna be all that close in a wind tunnel. I ordered up the Podium and it will be here tomorrow and I will give it a few training rides before Oceanside to see how I like it. I still have the Aerohead and (gasp!) a Win57 sitting on the shelf so I have options if the testing doesn't go great.

I did pick up the Ignite for my wife which arrived yesterday (in a cool chalk green color) and I am super impressed with that helmet. Most importantly she loves it so we will call that a win.

Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:

I'm also not sold on the "aero road > "full aero" helmet... I have a hard time believing they cna be all that close in a wind tunnel.

usually > 90+% of the time in fact, an aero road helmet will lose to a true aero helmet in the speed department.

It's very rare when one of the fastest 2 helmets on someone is an aero road helmet, very , very rare.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply