Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Smiley Sprint Tri (NC) - First Year Race >> SUCCESS!!
Quote | Reply
Group,

We are starting a local sprint tri in our area Smiley Sprint Tri - as a tribute to slowtwitcher and good friend Richard Smiley who died of brain cancer. For those who did not know him it will be a smiley fun day of of Health and fitness. It will be the only adult triathlon in our county and it is very grass roots. We are slowly building momentum and are throwing in weekly perks - you can check those out on the website. Please check out our website and give me your thoughts and suggestions. See: https://smileysprinttri.com/

Thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Jun 10, 19 7:19
Quote Reply
Re: Smiley Sprint Tri (NC) - First Year Race >> what else would you like to see? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
15 second swim stagger is GOOD. It makes the swim a lot more enjoyable. Free photos is excellent advertising for the race. I personally don't care much about photos, but I always thought it was dumb to charge for the photos which amount to free advertising. You might mention whether the run is flat. Either way is fine, but it's good to know beforehand. Run and bike distances should be accurate. If they're not as advertised, that's OK, just let people know before the race. Don't drag out the awards ceremony, and remember that parking close means a lot to some people. Make sure the Swim in, bike out, etc. are labeled in the transition area. Be sure to mark the course well. Good luck with the race!
Quote Reply
Re: Smiley Sprint Tri (NC) - First Year Race >> what else would you like to see? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! There's seemingly a race every weekend in NC, and now there's one on this weekend, 9 JUN.

Sounds fun.

Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Smiley Sprint Tri (NC) - First Year Race >> what else would you like to see? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please help spread the word! Fyi - As indicated on the website we are doing personalized race numbers and swim caps for everyone who enters before May 1. We need that amount of time to get those customized.

I appreciate your support and encouragement!

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Smiley Sprint Tri (NC) - First Year Race >> what else would you like to see? [xpda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Great ideas! I think we have most of that covered. We have close, free parking, and I think we have the logistics nailed. I am on the road this week, but will update the website regarding the run course.

I appreciate your thoughts and insight.

David
Quote Reply
Re: Smiley Sprint Tri (NC) - First Year Race >> SUCCESS!! [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Group,

I am pleased to report back that our race was a booming success. We were told that we would be lucky to get 170 participants, and that 200 would be a home run . . . we ended up with about 270. If the weather forecast would have been good we would have had more.

I was so humbled by all the volunteers, family, friends, spectators, sponsors, and athletes who made the event a stunning success! Thank YOU!! There are so many individual thank yous that owe, and I’m sure it will be woefully inadequate – just know that I appreciate each and every one of you. Live music, good FREE food, FREE craft beer, FREE race photos, SUPER volunteers, and more!!

The weekend weather served us lemons and we took it as an opportunity to make the best lemonade ever!! Our team had to reroute the run course, redesign the stage area, expo area, finish line, etc. all in the 48 hours before the race. They did an outstanding job! I believe all in attendance had a great day.

Lastly, we welcomed many first-timers to the sport and gave them a remarkable experience. 2020 will be even better!!

David
Quote Reply
Re: Smiley Sprint Tri (NC) - First Year Race >> SUCCESS!! [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David,

Thanks for a great experience yesterday! Although the weather wasn't perfect, it wasn't terrible either as it never actually rained during the event.

The Free beer was awesome !!!! And the sandwich wraps were a welcome change from cold pizza !

My 1 complaint: Where did you find all those hills on the run? LOL !!!

Alan Parker
japarker24

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Smiley Sprint Tri (NC) - First Year Race >> SUCCESS!! [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David,
Thanks for making yesterday's race a great event. Very personalized, friends and family feeling event. Highly recommend this race to anybody in the area!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad it was a success!

I've got found memories of traveling to races, racing & training with Richard during my formative years.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Smiley Sprint Tri (NC) - First Year Race >> SUCCESS!! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian, you would have loved this race! Some very experienced athletes said it was the best vibe they have ever experienced. We really rolled it out!

David
Quote Reply