Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Smelly shoes
Quote | Reply
I'm getting complaints from my wife about my smelling cycling shoes, particularly now that winter has arrived and I'm riding indoors in the basement. She claims the smell permeates the room - I don't really smell anything. There is a small window that I open while riding but it has to be closed the rest of the time (because it's winter). I do leave it open for an hour or two after the ride.

I've only had the shoes for about a year. Even though my annual mileage is probably just rounding error for some of you, am I holding on to them too long? Should I be replacing them every year?

She wants me to store them in the unheated garage. I don't see this as a viable solution (because its winter). I've suggested a small plastic bin with a container of baking soda (or whatever it is we use in the fridge for door absorption).

Anyone else have this problem? Any good solutions?
Quote Reply
Re: Smelly shoes [MEW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's wrong with the garage? I just wash them every few months and use shoe deodorant between that. But if I had a garage, I would use that. The cold would only help keep the smell down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the key is to get them dry quickly.

Maybe one of those boot dryers would help?

https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/...BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Quote Reply
Re: Smelly shoes [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
I think the key is to get them dry quickly.

Maybe one of those boot dryers would help?

https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/...BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

x2 ^^

It will be the best investment you'll ever make in regards to keeping athletic shoes of any kind smelling decent without having to resort to special washing, freezing or any other procedures. Just get in the habit of putting your wet/moist/damp shoes on the drier very soon after use and they'll stay decent smelling for their whole life. Great for any kind of footwear not just cycling shoes. The wattage of these units is very low and heat minimal enough to not worry about fires.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Nov 9, 19 12:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think people are spot on here with shoe dryers. I use Drysure ones for running shoes because of the simplicity of not involving electricity. You could pop in sneaker balls after a while as well.

For indoor cycling I use Shimano sandals just because I don't like how clammy shoes get indoors and I don't want to ruin my nice cycling shoes. Being sandals they are obviously open, the material isn't absorbent and they just wipe clean. They aren't ideal because they use MTB cleats so they aren't for everyone. I keep meaning to see if there is some sort of cleat adapter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are two issues: first you need to defunk the shoes, then you need to keep them from getting smelly again.

For the first part, wash them in a detergent and bleach solution. I use our washing machine, and put the shoes in a mesh bag to keep the cleats and buckles from damaging the washer. Let them air dry.

To keep them fresh, the shoe dryer mentioned is a good option. There are also UV shoe inserts that will help kill the bacteria/fungi.

https://www.amazon.com/...MB0T67WYBFAPTWWKSBND

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dishwasher (Chemicals + high heat ) is great to get rid of bad odors and bring the shine out of any sport shoe.
Shoe and boot dryers are the solution.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Baby powder sprinkled in the shoes will clear that right up...no need for expensive solutions.

Quote | Reply
I found the baby powder only works for the next time you use the shoes. Then they stink again. I've tried the washing machine with no luck. Only thing that has worked for me is the dishwasher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try soaking in Rockin' Green Soap. Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/...aps%2C136&sr=8-5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dryer Sheets. Put them in shoes , take them out to wear , put them back in .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MEW wrote:
Any good solutions?
Do you wash them? It's basic - wash them from time to time.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Smelly shoes [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the risk of sounding like a stereotypical male, it never even occurred to me to wash them, although my wife didn't suggest it either, so I don't feel as stupid.

Cleats in or out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MEW wrote:
At the risk of sounding like a stereotypical male, it never even occurred to me to wash them, although my wife didn't suggest it either, so I don't feel as stupid.

Cleats in or out?
Do you mean leaving the cleats on the shoes? For sure.

I clean my shoes with a rag and a lot of dish soap, then rinse them out in the tub blasting water from inside and outside. Maybe every month of so - and certainly after they get muddy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep the shoes, ditch the wife!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experience: best prevention is to dry the shoes immediately.

Once the shoes get pretty smelly you can fix it temporarily by washing them. Bleach is best. But smell always comes back after a few uses. That's bacteria growing by eating skin flakes and skin oil you left behind. It's impossible to kill it all using reasonable measures, so bacteria just grows again when moisture is introduced, and then shoes smell again. Smell is impossible to eliminate permanently to get your shoes to how they were when they were new, not without using caustic measures that would damage the shoe not to mention your feet. Keep the shoes clean and dry from new. Or this will happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Smelly shoes [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wearing socks prevents most of the possibility of ending up with bad smelling shoes.
But you need to wash them once in a while, like pants.
Wearing them sockless ? It's like underwear ;-) ...

Louis :)
Quote Reply
Re: Smelly shoes [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GoJohnnyGo wrote:
Keep the shoes, ditch the wife!

Not helpful ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Smelly shoes [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
louisn wrote:
Wearing socks prevents most of the possibility of ending up with bad smelling shoes.
But you need to wash them once in a while, like pants.
Wearing them sockless ? It's like underwear ;-) ...

Louis :)

Haven't actually worn the shoes without socks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No cotton I hope.
I remember having one pair of Northwave Aerator Race shoes with the undersole made of some kind of cork material. Once it got soaked well (from a wet ride) and I probably let it soak for too long I "lost them", as I could never get rid of the smell. The minute they got humid, the bad smell came back.
Remember, dishwasher works best. And hair dryer ( low heat, medium power) if you don't want to go with a shoe-boot dryer.

Louis :-)
Last edited by: louisn: Nov 10, 19 12:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The easiest solution is to put them in the garage. They’ll be cold for 5 minutes when you put them on. Your wife will be happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The key is to have two pair of shoes and never wear a shoe two days in a row. With that, the shoes always dry before they get wet again, and you don't need a special shoe-dryer.

I just pull the insole all the way out of the shoe and don't put it back in for 24-48 hours. That lets the shoe dry completely. I do have a ceiling fan over my trainer, and the air circulation probably helps some.

It ends up being cheaper in the long run, because shoes last longer. My cycling shoes last forever, as near as I can tell. I have a pair that are 7 years old and going strong. They've been rained on, but never washed. I buy new insoles and cleats when they wear out, but the rest of the shoe (Giro Mele Tri) is synthetic and seems destined to last forever.

I do the same with run shoes. My run shoes don't last longer than average, but they never get that stink.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Smelly shoes [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dewman wrote:
The key is to have two pair of shoes and never wear a shoe two days in a row. With that, the shoes always dry before they get wet again, and you don't need a special shoe-dryer.

Yeah, this is very good. I still think anything that gets soaked with sweat or/or hit with dirt should be washed from time to time. Or at least rinsed well with clean water.

I do this with helmets, eyeglasses, shoes, watch bands and HRM straps. I rinse helmets after every use in which I sweat.

Last edited by: jt10000: Nov 11, 19 15:21
Quote Reply
Re: Smelly shoes [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
[I still think anything that gets soaked with sweat or/or hit with dirt should be washed from time to time. Or at least rinsed well with clean water.

I do this with helmets, eyeglasses, shoes, watch bands and HRM straps. I rinse helmets after every use in which I sweat.

Agreed. I definitely wash my HR straps and rinse my watch and glasses anytime they get sweaty, and I wash my helmet pads a few times a year. Many years ago I thought there was a guy in my spin class with bad BO, and it turned out it was my own HR strap, which it had never occurred to me to wash. Ew.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply

Prev Next