Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Smart trainer suddenly not offering "resistance"
Quote | Reply
Hey all, haven't had much luck searching the interwebs for solving this issue, but wanted to see if anyone has encountered this problem before.

I've been using my CycleOps/Saris Hammer H2 for over a year, riding 2-3 times every week with never an issue (including a 2 hr ride on Sunday). When I tried to do a ride this morning, there was no "resistance" when moving the pedals. I've never felt that before - it was like the flywheel was not connected. Everything else checked out. Got the right "status" light on the trainer (blue in this case when paired by bluetooth). All 3 applications I tried to use recognized and paired the trainer just fine (over both bluetooth and Ant+), but all 3 did not report any cadence or power when spinning the pedals with my hand. I power cycled the trainer and computer a few times, but no change. I even ran through a few other bluetooth connected things on my computer which all worked fine (so sort of ruled out it being a general computer bluetooth problem).

Anyone else ever encounter something like this on a smart trainer?

I submitted a support ticket with Saris, but haven't heard anything back yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainer suddenly not offering "resistance" [tanzbodeli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I has a similar think on my Kickr a few years back, the paws had gunked up with grease and stuck down, therefore not engaging with the teeth so juts spinning. Cleaned up and good as new
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainer suddenly not offering "resistance" [tanzbodeli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe the drive belt broke? It seems like you would at least feel the resistance from accelerating the flywheel if the belt was still connected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tanzbodeli wrote:

I submitted a support ticket with Saris, but haven't heard anything back yet.

My PowerSync trainer (Saris/CycleOps) stopped working a few months ago. I put in multiple support tickets and never heard back. I called their office during office hours and talked to someone. I suggest that you give them a call.

For me, it wasn't much help. My trainer was really old and the person i talked to just told me i had to buy a new one. No discount or anything. Since your H2 is a few years newer than the trainer i had, maybe you'll have better luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you hear anything back from Saris? I had the same thing happen to me last night. Totally functional for a ride Monday night and then no resistance on Tuesday. I submitted a report to Saris too and have yet to hear back.

Tx,
Scott

I have deceptive speed.........I'm slower than I look!
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainer suddenly not offering "resistance" [Skoalz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skoalz wrote:
Did you hear anything back from Saris? I had the same thing happen to me last night. Totally functional for a ride Monday night and then no resistance on Tuesday. I submitted a report to Saris too and have yet to hear back.

Tx,
Scott

Yes, Saris was able to resolve the issue. Their customer support was great! I shipped them the trainer and had it back in my hands a little more than a week later and it's working great. I haven't dug through the support ticket to understand exactly what the problem was yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update. I ran the troubleshooting app and it found nothing and then followed their instructions to check for mechanical issues. The hub just doesn't engage. If it were a regular wheel I'd suspect the pawl spring had failed. I hope I have the same positive experience with their support that you received.

Thanks again,
Scott

I have deceptive speed.........I'm slower than I look!
Quote Reply