Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Smart bikes
Quote | Reply
I’m looking at getting a smart bike instead of putting my bike on a trainer. Has anyone got one? Pros and cons? Not looking at Peloton etc as I’d prefer one that can mimic outdoor riding and can link up to zwift, trainer road or sufferfest ... The two I’m looking at are pretty new - wahoo and tacx. If you have one, any feedback would be great. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Smart bikes [snail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's reviews up of both of those around the usual parts. Player 3 entered the game a few months back, Stages with their Smart Bike. Then WattBike just announced the new ATOM (redesigned resistance unit). There's a few to choose from. Availability is likely the biggest hurdle at the moment.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Last edited by: gplama: Jul 3, 20 1:25
Quote Reply
Re: Smart bikes [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
There's reviews up of both of those around the usual parts. Player 3 entered the game a few months back, Stages with their Smart Bike. Then WattBike just announced the new ATOM (redesigned resistance unit). There's a few to choose from. Availability is likely the biggest hurdle at the moment.

I got my Stages SB20 two weeks ago and love it, came from using a kickr.
You did a great 3 part series on the bike and made everything very clear.
I choose the Stages over the others because of a few basic needs for me.
Very solid platform, easy set up for second rider , gearing selections, remote switches, dual power, two USB ports, iPad mount and phone, About $500.00 less than kickr bike.
The only thing is you have to run the Stages link app on my iPhone to run zwift, not a big deal it is nice to see gear selection and LR power.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at the Stages SB20 On Shane’s Review YouTube channel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i ride a wahoo kickr bike at home and a tacx bikesmart at my remote work location.

i personally much prefer the wahoo offering.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Smart bikes [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:

Do you think this will likely be a growth area? The explosion of indoor cycling this year, resulting in high sales of smart trainers, must have lead to companies recouping their development cost sooner than expected. Is this an area that they're likely to develop? Will Elite, Saris and others release smart bikes? As a niche product they can charge a lot for each unit but realistically, I suspect, most of us would only be tempted if they come down to the €1500 price range, which I think is perfectly viable.

SteveMc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i got a kickr bike about a month ago and I love it

ETA: I especially like the tilt function which helps simulate outdoor riding, and seems to decrease saddle discomfort during long rides.

Last edited by: tristorm: Jul 3, 20 5:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked into the Tacx Smart Bike but opted for the Tacx Neo. Taking a bike on and off a smart trainer is no different then changing a rear wheel. It literally takes 60 seconds. When both the cassette on the trainer is the same as the cassette on the rear wheel, there are no adjustments needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart bikes [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey..what was your deciding factor to go with the Stages bike over the Watt?
Quote Reply
Re: Smart bikes [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saris really seems to be missing the boat on this one.

Seems like the Wattbike isn't getting much attention (at least here in the US), has any of you considered it but decided against it?.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: Smart bikes [Csseeker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Csseeker wrote:
When both the cassette on the trainer is the same as the cassette on the rear wheel, there are no adjustments needed.

That’s not necessarily true. The hub body on the Neo will not be the same as the hub body on your wheel. So some adjustment might be needed.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Wahoo bike for 6 months now and really like it. I like being able to change profiles quickly and test position changes without having to remove a bike from the trainer. I was a roller/ stare at the wall guy for years but have found Zwift pretty entertaining, would never have discovered that if still riding rollers. I also like having no calibration concerns.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart bikes [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is prob me. At first I was thinking watt but now leaning more towards the stages simply bc I'm worried about the lack of presence of service in the States on the wattbike.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart bikes [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been hearing more about Wattbike in the last month or so (though I have been aware of them for a while now, mainly through the Huub Wattbike track team).
It seems like they are making a push for the US market so I am wondering if they might be opening some kind of office in the US in the near future.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: Smart bikes [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone put aero bars on any of the smart bikes. Planning a purchase of kickr or stages bike and want to make sure I can train in the TT position. Have looked at DCR and GPL reviews and see that they are 'compatible' with aerobars but would be curious about real world usability.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart bikes [tritontoby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tritontoby wrote:
Has anyone put aero bars on any of the smart bikes. Planning a purchase of kickr or stages bike and want to make sure I can train in the TT position. Have looked at DCR and GPL reviews and see that they are 'compatible' with aerobars but would be curious about real world usability.

its no different than putting aero bars on any "normal" bike and putting it on an electronic trainer. slap some aero bars on there and fiddle / adjust till youre comfy and ride.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Smart bikes [tritontoby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tritontoby wrote:

I did It with the stages and have extra shifter buttons coming soon.
I was able to just about match my fit.
My tri bike is 155cranks 49cm to back of pad and 9cm drop.
Stages bike goes to 165mm I was able to get the pad reach , the drop I got to 7cm by mounting the clip on under the road bar.
If your saddle height is higher you can get more drop, mine saddle height is 71.5
I will leave the clip ons on when in the road configuration it takes about 30 seconds to adjust to the measurements.

** update on software, now you can run zwift with out the stages app running, but with the stages apps running while on zwift you can see your left / right power and gear selection while ridding , nice feature.

Last edited by: Clutch Cargo: Aug 3, 20 14:43
Quote Reply