Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Smart Swim Goggles
Quote | Reply
Swim goggles with pace/splits/distance display.

http://www.formswim.com
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Swim Goggles [pcappel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glanced through the site, looks like they probably only work in the pool. I’d love for something like this with accurate pace/distance in open water. I can hit a pace and stick with it in the pool but can’t ever seem to get my pacing down in open water.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks cool; wonder how much of the Recon guts carry over.

Nice first post, btw. Are you involved with the company?

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DC Rainmaker reviewed them today
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...h-smart-display.html
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Swim Goggles [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. I was hoping the same- it is very difficult to pace in open water.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Swim Goggles [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. I teach an investment class so these kind of announcements fly past my desktop all the time. Most are not nearly as interesting as this!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironically one would be pretty stupid (IMO) to pay $200 for “smart” goggles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marlin platysens is audio feed back for all this.. but DC rainmaker wont review
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Swim Goggles [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:

DCR made a similar point:

"Ultimately though, it’s not the technology that will be FORM Athletica’s biggest challenge. Like I said, they largely nail that.
Instead, it’ll be the price. Competitive swimmers are notoriously finicky and frugal when it comes to sports technology, with there being a long line of failed swim technology companies. Many competitive swimmers refuse to wear a watch, and while this isn’t a watch, it is a (tiny) change to their hydrodynamic norm. And many competitive swimmers don’t see any need for anything more than a wall pace clock. So asking them to spend $200 on a device will be really tough. And of course, asking non-frequent swimmers to spend that much cash won’t happen either (they’ll likely be fine with numerous watch options at much lower price points)."
Cyclists are used to laying out $$$ for tech gear (PMs, head units, smart trainers, etc.); swimmers just aren't (other than the raceday suit). I personally love the idea of swimming HUD, but most fish just won't see pace clocks as an issue that needs a $200 solve.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Swim Goggles [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$200 is really spendy. I thought arena Cobra goggles were exorbitant at $85.

I doubt that I’ve spent more than $300 on goggles since I graduated from college 25 years ago. For context, in that time I’ve done LOTS of swimming, so it would follow that I’ve had to replace MANY pairs of goggles, probably 30+ pairs in that time. I’m not in the habit of “borrowing” from lost-and-found (except for a pair of Orcas I found as a spectator on the beach at the start of 2018 70.3 Boulder). I’ve had 1000-1800km totals in 5 of the past seven years. Before that, I trained for and swam in three full IM races wearing $4 goggles (swim PR of :55 at age 38).

I think the price is extreme, and the technology is just not needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Swim Goggles [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one of the big problems that I see is the price of an essentially disposable piece of equipment. Goggles have a limited lifespan, and on top of that you’re being tied to a particular style of goggle that may or may not work for you.

That said, if lap times are accurate and precise enough, I can see lots of instances where the hud would be beneficial. Particularly sprint 25’s where you’re going for small improvements that are tough to discern from the wall clock.

There are a couple of technology products now that show a bit more promise, IMO the phlex edge shows the most as a tracker.
https://phlexswim.com/

If this thing was an add on to a goggle of your choice, rather than a goggle in and of itself, then that would be a great device.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Swim Goggles [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
one of the big problems that I see is the price of an essentially disposable piece of equipment. Goggles have a limited lifespan, and on top of that you’re being tied to a particular style of goggle that may or may not work for you.

That said, if lap times are accurate and precise enough, I can see lots of instances where the hud would be beneficial. Particularly sprint 25’s where you’re going for small improvements that are tough to discern from the wall clock.

There are a couple of technology products now that show a bit more promise, IMO the phlex edge shows the most as a tracker.

If this thing was an add on to a goggle of your choice, rather than a goggle in and of itself, then that would be a great device.

i feel my post is ignored, maybe I did not include website and price.

https://platysens.com/marlin/ $150 works in open water and pool, attached to any goggle.

i have this device, and use it in the pool.
Last edited by: synthetic: Jul 13, 19 9:46
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Swim Goggles [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Marlin platysens is audio feed back for all this.. but DC rainmaker wont review

Any idea why?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

i feel my post is ignored, maybe I did not include website and price.

https://platysens.com/marlin/ $150 works in open water and pool, attached to any goggle.

i have this device, and use it in the pool.

Not ignoring it at all. I just think the Phlex Edge shows the most promise for pure swimmers based on what I’ve seen. Tritonwear has a product too.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marlin is in production the other 2 not finishing Kickstarter. I guess DC rainmaker wont review because they won't give him a free one? He talked about it during Kickstarter phase
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Phlex will be shipping in August. I haven’t looked at the status of tritonwear recently.

Edit- looks like tritonwear is out there too, taking preorders for v2 which will ship in September.

What does DC rainmaker have to do with this discussion??

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jul 13, 19 12:45
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Swim Goggles [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

DCR made a similar point:

"Ultimately though, it’s not the technology that will be FORM Athletica’s biggest challenge. Like I said, they largely nail that.
Instead, it’ll be the price. Competitive swimmers are notoriously finicky and frugal when it comes to sports technology, with there being a long line of failed swim technology companies. Many competitive swimmers refuse to wear a watch, and while this isn’t a watch, it is a (tiny) change to their hydrodynamic norm. And many competitive swimmers don’t see any need for anything more than a wall pace clock. So asking them to spend $200 on a device will be really tough. And of course, asking non-frequent swimmers to spend that much cash won’t happen either (they’ll likely be fine with numerous watch options at much lower price points)."
Cyclists are used to laying out $$$ for tech gear (PMs, head units, smart trainers, etc.); swimmers just aren't (other than the raceday suit). I personally love the idea of swimming HUD, but most fish just won't see pace clocks as an issue that needs a $200 solve.

I think ray is a pretty smart dude, but hydrodynamic form isn’t the reason that watches (and this device) are a hard sell to swimmers.

Here are the reasons I think tech hasn’t caught on (and why the Phlex is the most likely product). Swimmers will buy it if it’s useful and readily implemented within the existing training structure. Look at the success of the tempo trainer - fairly primitive compared to these but it is “tech” and it’s very useful.

1 - coaches on deck want their charges to be paying attention to what are sometimes some insanely complex set structures. Not fiddling with a watch.

2 accuracy- I don’tthink that the devices to date have been accurate enough for what coaches need

3 the device needs to automatically know when you are doing drills, kicking, and non freestyle strokes. The phlex does this, somehow. Probably voodoo magic... and this one is huge!!!

4. It needs to report on relevant metrics that matter in competition. Turn time, underwater time, # of kicks, and time laps accurately to at least the tenth of a second. It’s these little things that matter, that the technology hasn’t existed to tell you. This is hardware and software, and to date the software has sucked.

On this specific product, I typically get 3-4 months out of a pair of goggles before the seals permanently deform and start leaking. and I’m not even a high mileage swimmer. These are $$200 each, asking people to spend 600 to $1000 per year on goggles is a tall order.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Marlin is in production the other 2 not finishing Kickstarter. I guess DC rainmaker wont review because they won't give him a free one? He talked about it during Kickstarter phase

I already looked at it during the Kickstarter phase (hands-on). Me reviewing or not reviewing a product doesn't have anything to do with units being sent to me or not. It has to do with interest (or, often, lack thereof) from people or myself. I get sent far more products than I can ever review or look at. Simple time dictates something has to drop.

Given I only get about 2-3 requests per year to test out the Marlin (if that), it's hard to justify it.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Swim Goggles [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd figure you would rank product testing by most innovative rather than which company did the most hype marketing...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
I'd figure you would rank product testing by most innovative rather than which company did the most hype marketing...

Given how much you apparently like the product, sounds like you should write up a review. Unless the two paragraphs of marketing fluff you wrote two months ago about it in your post was your review...

(Also: Pro tip from a non-swimmer, you can simply twist your wrist to see your splits, no need to stop for four seconds.)

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:

(Also: Pro tip from a non-swimmer, you can simply twist your wrist to see your splits, no need to stop for four seconds.)

As a swimmer, that’s a non-starter. Coach would’ve had my head for breaking streamline like that. Those are the issues that a tech system needs to address first and foremost. It’s not about what the swimmers want, it’s about what the coaches want.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:

As a swimmer, that’s a non-starter. Coach would’ve had my head for breaking streamline like that. Those are the issues that a tech system needs to address first and foremost. It’s not about what the swimmers want, it’s about what the coaches want.

Not sure how much break of streamline there is for a slight twist of the wrist when pushing off the wall during the glide, comparative to wearing a head-mounted device.

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:

Not sure how much break of streamline there is for a slight twist of the wrist when pushing off the wall during the glide, comparative to wearing a head-mounted device.

It’s an immense difference. A good streamline your biceps are pressed behind your ears and elbows are nearly touching. You never look anywhere in the vicinity of your wrist.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:

It’s an immense difference. A good streamline your biceps are pressed behind your ears and elbows are nearly touching. You never look anywhere in the vicinity of your wrist.

Yeah, I guess I'm saying I'm genuinely curious about what the drag looks like on a once every 3-4 laps for a 1-second glance versus an audible head-mounted device over the course of an entire swim. I have absolutely no idea, but I think it'd be a fun thing to know.

My main/original point though was that the original poster via his site stated it took four seconds to check his watch for a lap split. I could stop and eat a cookie in that much time.

-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:

Yeah, I guess I'm saying I'm genuinely curious about what the drag looks like on a once every 3-4 laps for a 1-second glance versus an audible head-mounted device over the course of an entire swim. I have absolutely no idea, but I think it'd be a fun thing to know.

My main/original point though was that the original poster via his site stated it took four seconds to check his watch for a lap split. I could stop and eat a cookie in that much time.

As a guess, that’ll cost you half a body length. The issue isn’t so much the added drag, but the poor habits that it reinforces.

And if the pace clocks are in the right spot on the wall, the swimmer can see them without breaking stroke at all. No device needed :-)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next