Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Slowtwitch vs Let’s Run
Quote | Reply
I tend to drift over there before big marathons (I did Boston today). Wow, that site has a nasty streak to it. Hard to say what they hate more: “hobby joggers” or triathletes. A “hobby jogger”, by their standard, is anybody that wasn’t a college runner or somehow sub-elite.

There’s a lot of good content on Let’s Run, but sheesh.

I have to give props to the moderators here for keeping things on topic, and note that the more competitive triathletes tend to be much more supportive here.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch vs Let’s Run [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I do the same before the races b/c let’s run will have more threads on Boston, etc . But man, they can be nasty ! I’ll keep to ST where everybody loves everybody (mostly)

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch vs Let’s Run [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 The Lets Run crowd are immature youngsters and Slowtwitch is old guys trying to hang on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This usually happens to all unmoderated forums, the inmates take over the asylum, and the lowest common denominator dominates most discussions. If you can call them discussions, mostly fuck you fests, and the ever popular, your momma!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the biggest difference is that you don’t bave to be a registered user to post on letsrun. That makes it incredibly easy for people to post nonsense.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch vs Let’s Run [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:
The Lets Run crowd are immature youngsters and Slowtwitch is old guys trying to hang on.

x1000.

I honestly probably had not too far off the mindset of those younger kids on ST, who assume that since they can run a 5k in 20 flat with basically no training, that anyone who can't do it is a total slacker and underachiever, and that anyone with the 'proper mindset' could run a 16 minute 5k if they just tried hard enough. (Not that I ever came close to 16:xx!) Ahh, the follies of youth.

Now that I'm older, wiser, and fatter, and have pretty much pushed near my limits on running (and less so swimming/biking), it's pretty clear that most of the assumptions I had as a 18 year old were flat out wrong, and that the fast guys have a lot of genetics to thank for their speed. Not that they don't bust tail when they have to, but they even have the genetics to allow them to bust tail AND go fast.

I'm faster now than I am at age 18 due to more focus on endurance sports, but it's def been a humbling process. And a good one!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a runner. Only got into tri's after getting injured running last year. Had never swam a lap, had never rode a bike at 40.

Even as a runner who runs sub 20min 5ks, I hate that place. Hated it as a runner... Hate even more now that I have branched out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are willing to sift through the sewage that is often LetsRun, you often find gold. Some of the people who have posted there in the past are the real deal.

However it also teaches you to have a thick skin and sharpens your insult skills.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch vs Let’s Run [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
If you are willing to sift through the sewage that is often LetsRun, you often find gold. Some of the people who have posted there in the past are the real deal.

However it also teaches you to have a thick skin and sharpens your insult skills.

It's weird a running forum attracts so many juvenile dicks and trolls. Every other thread is some young sub 15/5km teenager wanting training advice.... It's a shame, because there is some good stuff on there. I just can't be f**ked dealing with trolls. so rarely post there. ST - trolls are few and far between.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch vs Let’s Run [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
should go back in the archives about ten years or so this place was a laugh a minute
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch vs Let’s Run [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm tri biased but I feel it's a difference in the sports. Tri has a unique quality about it, that while there are plenty of aholes to go around I feel the aholeness is less per a capita. Maybe it's just because we're all to busy to find our ahole groove. Maybe we're too tires. Or it could be because no matter how good you are there's usually at least one discipline where half the field can humble you quickly. Or no matter how bad you are there's typically a discipline where you can humble much better overall athletes than you.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's something in the water over there that, between the weak moderation, unregistered users [or creation of puppets & trolls], and general nastiness, allowed the Mike Rossi threads to absolutely THRIVE, and grow to insane proportions

Because of the horrible forum interface, I rarely go over there, anymore

The front page however, is a worthwhile daily read, for distance running and T&F news [if you're into that sort of thing]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch vs Let’s Run [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's funny, this is similar to old days of beginner triathlete vs ST. The HTFU athletes were here . Now they are more in let's run. LR made me realize how a pathetic runner I am. The talent pool in run world is much deeper (cost of entry).. most of them not social media savvy, bit now that is changing. In triathlon, we glorify people who shuffle jog.....
Last edited by: synthetic: Apr 17, 18 11:27
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch vs Let’s Run [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat0 wrote:

This sums up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the forum interface is almost as hard to read as some of the threads
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel the same about this place and TriTalk
TriTalk is a quieter forum, but it much nicer, too many egos on here

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch vs Let’s Run [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bring back paulo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Letsrun is a cesspool. I love it there anyway. There's way more nuggets of running truth there than anyway though you have to wade through rivers of dung to get it. But I'm a runner so I get the crap there.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch vs Let’s Run [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
JoeO wrote:

It's weird a running forum attracts so many juvenile dicks and trolls. Every other thread is some young sub 15/5km teenager wanting training advice.... It's a shame, because there is some good stuff on there. I just can't be f**ked dealing with trolls. so rarely post there. ST - trolls are few and far between.

Yeah, it's been years since I spent much time there. In fact I basically left that place for this one. Yet the people who I've conversed with there are some of the household names of running.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch vs Let’s Run [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find in internet forums (and in groups in general) people want attention. You get attention on these sites by being a fast runner or triathlete, content provider (aka expert), or provide some other niche. The problem is the majority doesn't meets those requirements and try to form different ones; be it by memes, being rude, or a completely alternate culture.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch vs Let’s Run [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are moderated though, more heavily then here sometimes (granted, we are FAR more civilized than the feral runners) Forums- ST by a landslide. Twitchhunting-they helped on the boston bomber but it was prolly an ST guy so ST. Article frequency- LR (ST for the forum, LR for the articles).

Anti doping - Tie in the best possible way.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch vs Let’s Run [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adambeston wrote:
They are moderated though, more heavily then here sometimes (granted, we are FAR more civilized than the feral runners) Forums- ST by a landslide. Twitchhunting-they helped on the boston bomber but it was prolly an ST guy so ST. Article frequency- LR (ST for the forum, LR for the articles).

Just to throw this out there, U.S. Masters Swimming has a forum also but for whatever reason, they only get like 15-20 posts per week, as opposed to the 1500-2000 posts per week here. I have no idea why this is the case. You have to be a registered USMS member but there are around 50,000 members so the potential for a "rousing" forum is there but it is just not happening.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch vs Let’s Run [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to throw this out there, U.S. Masters Swimming has a forum also but for whatever reason, they only get like 15-20 posts per week, //

We have that amount of just swimming posts per day!! People tend to go where this is something happening. So a lot of swimmers, runners, and cyclists aggregate over here because it is fast moving, and there are answers from experts and goons almost immediately. Thankfully the goons are over shadowed by the experts and folks usually get their questions answered.

Honestly, I wouldn't trust most the advice I got on a swim only forum. There is a lot more experience over here, especially for OW swimming. The typical FINA swim is a water start with aid stations in flat water with markers every few 100m. Who ever heard of aid stations in swimming?? (-:
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch vs Let’s Run [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
adambeston wrote:

Just to throw this out there, U.S. Masters Swimming has a forum also but for whatever reason, they only get like 15-20 posts per week, as opposed to the 1500-2000 posts per week here. I have no idea why this is the case. You have to be a registered USMS member but there are around 50,000 members so the potential for a "rousing" forum is there but it is just not happening.

I had no idea there was a usms forum. I also wouldn’t expect a forum run by the governing body would be very successful... feel like it would really lower the entertainment value.

I swim fast because I'm afraid of sharks.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch vs Let’s Run [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adambeston wrote:
Twitchhunting-they helped on the boston bomber but it was prolly an ST guy so ST

Twitch-hunting is - sort of - by definition [here anyway], a Slowtwitch phenomenon, so there's that

However, it was the sleuths at Letsrun the brought down Kip Litton, Paul Ryan, Mike Rossi, and a few others, I'm sure

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next