Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Slowtwitch Indoors - Group Workout Series on Zwift: Starts Tue, Jan. 16th @ 4PM PST [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4pm PST....A great time for the unemployed folks that live in that time zone I guess? Or those that work at home I suppose. (Sigh)
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Indoors - Group Workout Series on Zwift: Starts Tue, Jan. 16th @ 4PM PST [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not worried about the no-helmet thing.
I do worry about a group ride with a bunch of guys in their aero bars though. Virtually terrifying.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Indoors - Group Workout Series on Zwift: Starts Tue, Jan. 16th @ 4PM PST [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
motorcity wrote:
No matter if left or right or in the middle is the correct side of the road. But I want to make sure that I do not want to be recognized as driving on the left side of the road! Well, not sure about others, but typically 7 or 8pm might work for most Europeans, I guess. So, 10 or 11am PST.

that i could do. 10am pacific sounds pretty good to me.

+1 for the Euro option
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Indoors - Group Workout Series on Zwift: Starts Tue, Jan. 16th @ 4PM PST [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I might have to finally join Zwift!! It has been over two years since I tried it at the Kona Slowtwitch party. Very cool. Will all the group rides be no-drop rides?

I ride lots on Zwift but haven't tried the group workouts yet. As I understand it they shelve the normal power based speed physics model and just set a speed for the group so that everyone goes the same speed so long as you keep pedaling. I think you only get dropped if you actually stop pedaling.
I've done a couple of group workouts now and the "rubber banding" feature seems to work pretty well. Expect slower than usual average speeds, though (not that speed really matters in a workout like this). Each one I have done the average has been somewhere around 15 mph.

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Team INFINIT Discount Code: RowanJones
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Indoors - Group Workout Series on Zwift: Starts Tue, Jan. 16th @ 4PM PST [Rowan Jones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We really needed to make sure not to speed up the slower riders too much. For more experienced riders, certainly the rides are slow. But to give some perspective, we've gotten feedback from riders that have expressed concern about how *fast* group workouts are. Our concern was that slower riders would set benchmarks - in particular in Strava - that they would be unable to break riding on their own. So we really wanted to respect that for those riders, going faster than normal was a bigger detriment in terms of the impact on trackable metrics than a fast rider going to slow. If you never break the PB you set in a group workout, that's a bigger issue than going a lot slower than your PB performance.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Indoors - Group Workout Series on Zwift: Starts Tue, Jan. 16th @ 4PM PST [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This sounds cool, but seriously when are the group workouts in Zwift going to have a better and more detailed description of the workout? For these, people want to know how long the intervals are and what %of FTP the intervals are. Why isn’t this being posted for all workouts??
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Indoors - Group Workout Series on Zwift: Starts Tue, Jan. 16th @ 4PM PST [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drluke12 wrote:
This sounds cool, but seriously when are the group workouts in Zwift going to have a better and more detailed description of the workout? For these, people want to know how long the intervals are and what %of FTP the intervals are. Why isn’t this being posted for all workouts??

I'll throw in an additional request to be able to scale FTP below 90% on erg-based workouts. Sometimes I want to do a group workout as an easy day. Without going in and manually adjusting my FTP.

Trainerroad lets you do that!
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Indoors - Group Workout Series on Zwift: Starts Tue, Jan. 16th @ 4PM PST [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwift let’s you dial down workouts. It’s right below all the detailed intervals on the left hand side. You can increase up to 110% FTP. Not sure how much it lets you reduce workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Indoors - Group Workout Series on Zwift: Starts Tue, Jan. 16th @ 4PM PST [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drluke12 wrote:
Zwift let’s you dial down workouts. It’s right below all the detailed intervals on the left hand side. You can increase up to 110% FTP. Not sure how much it lets you reduce workouts.

To 90%, per my post above. If I'm just doing an easy recovery spin, I'd like to drop it to, say, 70%. That way you can still get the group social aspect without the requirement of pushing yourself hard. Currently to get what I want, I just take my bike off my smart trainer and put it on my dumb rollers, using my power meter as the power source. That way I get what I want. I "fail" most of the intervals and don't get to collect stars, but whatever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Howdy Jordan, I'm in for tonight's maiden voyage. I haven't done a group workout on Zwift yet, nor used workout mode since getting my smart trainer. I see we'll be riding London flat, so maybe this isn't important, but my question is: would you recommend I use my smart trainer, or just participate using my quark PM? I'm not sure how the controllable trainer may add to or complicate the group workout and planned effort levels.

Thanks much!

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Indoors - Group Workout Series on Zwift: Starts Tue, Jan. 16th @ 4PM PST [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Group workouts function totally the same as regular workouts from a user experience standpoint. And the course profile also doesn't matter. Basically, in workout mode, the trainer always thinks you're on a flat road unless you're in erg mode; the terrain doesn't make any difference in workout mode.

Likewise, in group workouts, we force the group together.

So my honest answer is that it doesn't really matter whether you use your smart trainer or not.

Likewise, the planned efforts scale to your FTP, and we will stay together regardless of your actual power output. As long as you are pedaling, you'll stay in the group.

Is that helpful?

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, thanks.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many people joined? I would like to try to make it next week. I am new to zwift, is there a way to see what the workout will be ahead of time?
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Indoors - Group Workout Series on Zwift: Starts Tue, Jan. 16th @ 4PM PST [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we had about 70 people total.

You can see the workout as soon as we post it to the calendar on Zwift.com/events or in Zwift Mobile Link. But next week is not up yet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jordan,
I enjoyed Tuesday, thanks! Is this going to be the regular weekly time slot and similar TSS?

I noticed my gearing and KK road machine wouldn't let me get to 55 cadence in the highest power interval and ended up at 60RPM to hit the power number and had the orange warning for cadence. Seems that the completion star isn't effected by cadence because I received full stars. Maybe I need to change my gearing, though I haven't had this trouble on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Indoors - Group Workout Series on Zwift: Starts Tue, Jan. 16th @ 4PM PST [D4vid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I picked this time slot based on our internal analytics about when most people ride, but I'm certainly open to changing it to actually suit the specific Slowtwitch audience.

TSS will vary, but I will review every workout and try to keep it about in the range of 60min @ IF of about .75-.85 (TSS: 55-70 or so). Basically a solid workout but ideally not something that blows you out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm an easterner so it's fine for me. Just looking to plan for it. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Indoors - Group Workout Series on Zwift: Week 2 - Tue, Jan. 23th @ 4PM PST [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Updated for Tuesday, Jan 23

I will be live streaming (bear with me as it will be my first ever live stream), testing that out before I work to get Dan up and running for live streams himself. Sorry to be running back to back workouts myself here. I've got someone special (who is NOT me) lined up for next week. And then I hope Dan will lead his first after that.

ABOUT SLOWTWITCH INDOORS

Every Tuesday at 4pm PST, Slowtwitch.com will bring you a triathlon-focused workout designed and led by a guest 'coach.' We will include sessions from pro athletes and coaches, as well as the Slowman himself, Dan Empfield. For this first edition, the workout will be led by Slowtwitch's own CTO, Zwift Game Designer, and erstwhile pro triathlete Jordan Rapp.

The workouts are about 60 minutes long and designed to add variety and interest to your weekly training schedule over the Winter.

LIVE ON TWITCH

Follow the live stream at http://www.twitch.tv/rappstarracing

ABOUT THIS WORKOUT

This is a workout where topography can present a real challenge to effective execution outdoors. The speeds at race effort for elite athletes can likewise present a problem for more elite athletes. The purpose of this workout is to sustain work at a specific race-pace with recovery at a relatively high-intensity that nevertheless is easy enough to be sustainable.

Just nice and relaxed open cool-down to finish.

The main set is a solid 50min block of over-unders around 70.3 pace: 5min @ 90% (Over) & 5min @ 80% (Under).

This is a great workout for getting a sense of whether or your not 70.3 pace is really sustainable. It's easy to tweak for Ironman - longer intervals at 80% & 70% - or shorter - short intervals at 100% & 90%. So a great workout for triathletes to use for any race with only some minor tweaks.

WORKOUT DESIGNER

Jordan Rapp is the 2011 ITU Long Distance World Champion and a 6x IRONMAN® champion. A mechanical engineer from Princeton University, where he was a lightweight rower, Jordan brings technical precision to all aspects of the sport. He now works as a Game Designer at Zwift.

ABOUT GROUP WORKOUTS

Zwifters line up in the starting area just like a normal event and once the event starts, workout mode begins. Everyone stays together regardless of power output. That's right, if you're outputting 100W and another Zwifter is outputting 400W you will stay in exactly the same position relative to each other. Only if you stop pedaling and fall 6 meters behind the group will the rubber-banding stop.

HELPFUL HINT

We highly recommend doing one of the FTP tests as the estimated FTP can be inaccurate and make the difficulty level of the workouts too high for your current fitness level.

For more info on FTP go to: https://support.zwift.com/...-is-it-used-in-Zwift

Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Indoors - Group Workout Series on Zwift: Week 2 - Tue, Jan. 23th @ 4PM PST [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
HELPFUL HINT

We highly recommend doing one of the FTP tests as the estimated FTP can be inaccurate and make the difficulty level of the workouts too high for your current fitness level.

My helpful suggestion is for Zwift to expand the range of the workout "FTP scaling" button way beyond the 90%-110% range it has now. Like Trainerroad, which lets you scale any workout to an arbitrary percent FTP.

My current primary use of Zwift is as a recovery tool, e.g. getting an hour in at night after a bike race to move the blood around a little. It'd be nice to jump in some group workouts and "slow roll" 'em. Get the social aspects, etc. It'd be nice to do that without having Zwift freak out about how I'm way below power.

I know I am, Zwift. Chill. It'll be OK.

Take my stars away if you want. It'd just be nice to have the erg mode be at the level I want rather than at the level Zwift thinks I want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for leading this, Jordan.

Very fun and a good workout to boot. I'm looking forward to next weeks event.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Indoors - Group Workout Series on Zwift: Week 2 - Tue, Jan. 23th @ 4PM PST [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tomorrow's workout is going to be led by Linsey Corbin!

http://zwift.com/events/view/40003

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those on the thread who remain skeptical. . .

I participated in the first two Slowtwitch Indoors with Jordan. The experience was awesome.

The structure of the workouts was unique and added new tools to my training knowledge. The first workout was race power at 55rpm cadence....really opened my eyes as to how I can really engage all my leg muscles. The second was over/unders...which is basically the same as the SST workouts on Zwift now. Again, great to do it in a group. Also, opened my eyes to what the pros do. Even though we are all riding together, Jordan was consistently cranking 4.8-5.0watts/kg.

Best of all, these happen at 8am Wednesday morning for me...perfect one hour on the bike followed by a good run outside. Ride on!
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Indoors - Group Workout Series on Zwift: Week 3 - Tue, Jan. 30th @ 4PM PST [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool initiative. 7pm is a bit late for east coast folks maybe. But cool stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Indoors - Group Workout Series on Zwift: Week 3 - Tue, Jan. 30th @ 4PM PST [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Very cool initiative. 7pm is a bit late for east coast folks maybe. But cool stuff.

I was thinking the opposite. 8pm east coast would be perfect. Put the kids down and then put the hammer down.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Indoors - Group Workout Series on Zwift: Week 3 - Tue, Jan. 30th @ 4PM PST [JesseR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'll agree in a few months since we have a little arrival in the summer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next